Oblivion Inspired Office Build

I am losing my mind that I am just now seeing this build. HOLY INCREDIBLE. These are my favorite type of projects and this is simply fantastic. Sorry I am late to the party, but amazing job!

Seriously that desk is amazing!

I appreciate it! You set the bar for these kinds of projects. Always love your stuff!

I appreciate it! You set the bar for these kinds of projects. Always love your stuff!

That's incredibly kind of you to say. After the great work on this thread I am geared up to get out in the shop and get to work! Thanks for sharing this with us!

Last edited:
This is so awesome!

Really looking forward to seeing espescially the table finished :D
Since I just saw this thread now, I don't know if this was already mentioned, at least I didn't find it reading through the posts, but will you feature some graphics on the top surface like in the movie? I'm thinking like a backlit acrylic glass with the graphics from the movie. Just as an ambient light :)

anyway, keep up the awesome work!
definitely following this thread :D

This is so awesome!

Really looking forward to seeing espescially the table finished :D
Since I just saw this thread now, I don't know if this was already mentioned, at least I didn't find it reading through the posts, but will you feature some graphics on the top surface like in the movie? I'm thinking like a backlit acrylic glass with the graphics from the movie. Just as an ambient light :)

anyway, keep up the awesome work!
definitely following this thread :D

Unfortunately, no. The desk will be used as my workstation in the office. I played around with the idea of having a screen embedded in the top and covered with glass, but it just isn’t ergonomic. I am going to have a 38” curved monitor on the desk surface like any other desk.

Last edited:
I was able to get the first of the curved plywood sections installed. I only have enough clamps to install one section at a time, which keeps from getting into a hurry and screwing something up.

The bendable plywood is too thin and soft to use any mechanical fasteners. They are just glued in place. Which makes it easy not to have to fill in nail holes. The other advantage is that I can cut and trim it with a utility knife!

I forgot to take pictures of it all clamped up, but I'll do that next time.

44461728225_5d83a10cce.jpg

43559416350_4e092287a4.jpg

44461728465_1872147ab2.jpg

Been diligently working on getting all the curved panels installed over the last week. It takes a little longer since each location gets two layers of 1/8". I have to wait for the first layer to set and then unclamp and glue down the second layer and reclamp. Takes about two days per location.

I have two curves left to glue up and I'll be done with that part.

I want to paint as many of the panels off the frame as I can. However, the curved ones will need to be painted on the frame. I had a little primer left over from another project and shot a little on one of the curved panels to see how much the wood would soak up. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. It will take a few coats of filler primer to get it smooth and ready for paint.

30614156057_ae92bdd933.jpg

30614156047_509edf2cbf.jpg

44830060424_563293a657.jpg

-Eric

omg, im a huge fan of oblivion aswell, and i've been wanting to create an office space myself since i work from home with an oblivion vibe but holy cow, you just made my jaw drop... im so jealous lol. I've been trying to reach out to someone thats crafty and knows how to work around wood like you do but i cant seem to find anyone here in tampa, fl they keep flaking on me. I can't wait to see the finished project this is awesome!!

All of the curved panels are installed now!!

Been doing a little primer action too. The curved plywood is not super smooth. I am probably going to put some filler on the upper panels to get them super smooth.

44759349905_fbfbd072d9.jpg

45673654991_f1e90d3d48.jpg

I love everything about this build, and that desk is EPIC!!! (i know i used Epic) . But what really got me laughing was how you can tell that hdtheater is a true multi-builder . . . cause you have an Astromech project in the background begging for your attention too! LOL. Love it man!

. . . AND i see a Gonk foot on the lower shelf!!!

I love everything about this build, and that desk is EPIC!!! (i know i used Epic) . But what really got me laughing was how you can tell that hdtheater is a true multi-builder . . . cause you have an Astromech project in the background begging for your attention too! LOL. Love it man!

. . . AND i see a Gonk foot on the lower shelf!!!

Keen eyed Fuzz!! You missed the Battle Droid parts in the box next to the GONK feet though. :)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back