Oblivion Inspired Office Build

My 2 cents, I don't have the measurements of your office space but here's my version of the monitor desk. Scaled down to an home office with the Monitor when not in use recessed into the column.
View attachment 772003View attachment 772004View attachment 772005View attachment 772006
Image 3 and 4 show the monitor pulled out for use. the dimensions of this desk is 66" long x 30" deep by 60"Tall.

It does look nice.You'd need a steel frame to make that work for sure.

Nice work Captain. :thumbsup

It does look nice.You'd need a steel frame to make that work for sure.

Nice work Captain. :thumbsup

I could run some angle iron through the desk and attach them to the studs in the wall.

Due to the height and angle of the ceiling, the section that attaches to the wall would need to be deeper to get enough vertical to be 60" tall. The knee wall is ~48" tall.

-Eric

I've seen this done for bathroom cabinets that float.

Here's a quick google image.

architecture-designs-cabinets-floating-design-floating-cabinets.jpg

Does anyone know what material was used to create the furniture? Also you can still incorporate a touch screen into the surface of the desk. In the film the desk was free standing and looked to be about 8ft long.
oblivion-movie-screencaps.com-517.jpgoblivion-movie-screencaps.com-8543.jpg

Work has slowed a bit and I have been able to get back to work on my office. Of the initial build, One the pieces I never finished was to build the sound absorption panels for the back of the room divider cabinet.

I wanted to replicate the same panels I did for the cabinets, but instead of being a hard surface, I wanted something soft that could absorb sound as it traveled up the stairs into the office. The hope was to quiet the sounds and make the office a little quieter. I doubt it will be as effective as I want, but it should help more than it will hurt. Besides, I didn't think I would be able to hoist large slabs of MDF into position by myself.

I started with an 1/8" sheet of MDF and cut the pattern I wanted complete with keyholes for mounting on the back of the cabinet.

28356495079_782ce77fd4_z.jpg

Then I took the pattern and carved the same beveled edge into rigid pink foam from HD. It will give me the shape I want and still be light. I glued the foam to the wood and then inserted the fiberglass panels for sound absorption. I had the fiberglass left over from a home theater I built years ago. Using them was part of the motivation for the decision. They were just sitting there and needed to be put to use.

26263437218_fac19b4a07_z.jpg

Lastly, I upholstered in a fabric (also left over from the home theater project). Then I hung up on the back of the cabinet.

28356495309_460c82d937_z.jpg

25265158757_d68603e2cd_z.jpg

28356495219_67059d71b6_z.jpg

I need to order the baseboards and get them installed next. Then, I will start working on the desk.

-Eric

For those that haven't purged this thread from the subscribed threads list, I will be getting back to this project soon. :)

I have spent some time working in that office and found that the use of that space is different than what I originally thought it would be. I figured I would spend all my time in there, but I have found I still use my home office as my primary space and only work in that office when I am multi-tasking several projects.

Instead of the customary "L" shaped desk that most computer setups are these days. I decided that the version Captain April posted above will probably be the best design for how I use the space. If it changes, I could always add a section to make it the "L". I have started converting the 3D renders he posted above into 2D drawings and then I will start working on the inner construction drawings and get to cutting!

Thank you Captain April for posting the renders you did. It made all the difference for me.

-Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
I am happy to help in any small way. Here's my desk with dimensions added.View attachment 836759

Thank you for sharing the doc. We are pretty close to the same dimensions. I had a few radii that were a little different, but the overall dimensions are pretty much the same. I am taking your design and making it fit the room right now. Since the walls are at angle and the width of the desk has limits, I may have to change that up a bit. But only slightly.

-Eric

I have finished the drawings to make the desk and started working on it today!!!

I decided the best way to have a strong, but lightweight desk would be to build in a torsion box design.

I took the renderings that @CaptainApril created and then matched them to the room itself. The design stayed intact, but I ended up pushing it from the wall about 14 inches to account for the angle of the ceiling. If you recall from the build posts, the biggest problem I have with this room is that it is basically a converted attic above my my shop and that walls are only knee walls and then the roof line begins there. It actually works out better for me because I am using the extra space to embed the monitor in the vertical wall and make room for computer tower storage as well.

I am cutting the desk into a top and bottom when I cut the pieces. What you see below is the top.

29788450217_0e6353548d_n.jpg

44007327264_ca1c37edc4_n.jpg

It is also going to function as a proof of concept for me to prove the design will work and that I can bend sheet goods over the radius. Something I have never done before. THe corner radii are 5 inches. My hope is that I can do some kerf cuts across some 1/4" MDF and skin the desk with that.

-Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d suggest 1/4” bendable plywood over kerfing mdf. You can get it with the bending axis either way on each sheet. Just choose for the best yield on your project and get the one you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I cut the kerfs on a scrap piece of MDF I had lying around to test out if it would work the way I had hoped. So far, I just have it clamped up, but already the wood is starting to crack. The crack was caused by the runner behind it. It wasn't perfectly flush with the supports and created a ledge that the wood cracked over. I'll be sure to have the "skeleton" nice and smooth before I put the skin on permanently.

I could probably fix this with some resin to seal up the pores and make it stronger, but I am not confident that it wouldn't eventually crack again. If it happened after I painted it all up, I would be pretty bummed.

In the mean time I ordered some 1/8" bendable plywood. The intent is to laminate the two layers together. Once the glue dries it will be nice and stiff. I suspect it will be a better choice in the long run.

My only concern with the bendable plywood is how porous it will be. I may have to smooth it out with resin and filler. I am also looking into a melamine finish that I can apply at home. We'll see.

44739336782_a5dd14a5a5_n.jpg

44739336942_2a4ac34cac_n.jpg

-Eric

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back