Oblivion Inspired Office Build

hdtheater

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have been spending the bulk of my time lately working on finishing out my shop. I had the exterior built. Then I have gone back and done all the electrical, insulation, drywall, etc... There is a loft above the work area that I am converting into an office area/ clean space to work on projects that I didn't want to drag through a mountain of sawdust and wet paint.

I went through a lot of different ideas about how to finish it. Where I originally thought about making it a Star Wars type space, I didn't want it to look like the set of a movie. I was more concerned about resale, etc... when it came time to sell the place. I was always drawn to the Skytower set from Oblivion. It had all the design from a sc-fi film, but it was all very realistic and usable space at the same time.

Unfortunately, my space won't be surrounded by windows with beautiful views and, since this is a shop, it won't be as "antiseptic" of an environment either. I combed through the original concept art and took some screen grabs and decided to replicate the shop space in the Skytower. It had darker colors and fewer windows. I don't know if I'll replicate anything exactly from the movie, but I will take all my design cues from it.

Here is what I started with:

35245587920_452902d0c2_z.jpg

34823527893_48da3cca13_z.jpg

And where I want to be:

35501941881_bc72fb5bb3_z.jpg

35501942001_1fae91f1c9_z.jpg

I am far enough along with the drywall that I am now at a point where I have something to share.

35501940651_ddb1f0ebb6_z.jpg

35501942381_716262ede8_z.jpg

Thanks,

-Eric

Last edited:
An office? I see MASSIVE home cinema potential here.

This is the second story of a detached garage. It is about 400 square feet on the floor, but as you can see in the photos the tallest wall is about 54" and then in it all slopes upward from there to an 8 foot ceiling in the center. Maybe I can work in a flat screen and a sound bar.

-Eric

This is the second story of a detached garage. It is about 400 square feet on the floor, but as you can see in the photos the tallest wall is about 54" and then in it all slopes upward from there to an 8 foot ceiling in the center. Maybe I can work in a flat screen and a sound bar.

-Eric

Cinemas in rooms made from upper lofts etc with tapered ceilings have been done heap in the past.

Instead of this window,

Capture8_zpsh7qi1jyw.jpg

maybe make that a projection screen. That way you can have what ever scene you want.

When the builder finished his work, he left each wall about 4" higher than the next. So, the first wall is 54" high, then 50", then 46", then 43". So the 53" wall is right next to the 43" wall. My goal is to build out the 43" wall to be even with the 53" wall and then use that space to be an in-wall cabinet.

Every cabinet in the Skytower is either integrated into a wall or it is used as a room divider making it the wall.

This is the space I am going to start with. I purposely left the back open in case I wanted to make the cabinets deeper. It is the only space I will be able to play with the depths. The sloped part above is the roof. I won't be cutting any holes there. :)

35501940651_ddb1f0ebb6_z.jpg

I started building the cabinets as stand alone pieces, but they don't fit just like I want them to. I am going to frame the wall and then slide the boxes of the cabinets inside the framing. Then sheetrock around the cabinets and trim it from there.

-Eric

Last edited:
Mmmh...closed cell spray-foam on the ceiling. Er...apart from that, looking forward to your build. It'll be interesting to watch!

I have the cabinets all installed.

Originally the cabinets went floor to ceiling and the front was going to be all made from MDF. I hate doing drywall work. However, I didn't think the transition from MDF to sheetrock would look at all very clean. Also, the the far left side of the cabinet would not have stopped short of the 'cubby' for the dormer window and thought that might ruin the in-wall look I was going for.

Instead, I created a false wall and slid the cabinets in on top and then to each other. Once in place, I put up side walls on both sides of the cabinets. It is kind of like a mezzanine wall in a home theater. Instead of a screen, there are cabinets.

34823531753_a0c35812f9_z.jpg

35501941831_c5131cc762_z.jpg

35501942351_46c9645922_z.jpg

The cabinets are all made from 1/2' MDF, except the top and bottom are 3/4". Then I have a 1" spacer between each cabinet. It will give me a full 2" between each cabinet door once installed. If you look close enough at the pictures, I have holes drilled into the sides and the back for adjustable shelves. The openings are kind of wide and I figured the shelves could sag over time and the holes in the back will help keep the from sagging too far.

Next up is to move the outlet that was on the left side of the cabinet and install sheetrock on the framing around the cabinets. I'll finish off the side wall behind it as well.

-Eric

Last edited:
No issue at all with closed cell spray-foam; I love the product (very good insulator) the "mmmh" was my way of saying: Yum!

You know I'm jealous I'm sure.

Can't wait to watch the progress.

LMK if you need any help since were near each other.

Looks like open cell foam to me.

Thanks Phillip! Once I get main construction complete. I may hit you up for the sources of the other items I'll need.

Excellent project!! Hmmmm.... I will start working on my theatre lobby in a few months. It's basically to display all my props and costumes. I have been going over and over how I want to go about it. I've always loved this type of look. This may have inspired me to do the same. Subscribed and look forward to the progress updates.

I got the sheet rock up around the cabinet and started mudding it. I am glad I changed the cabinet design. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

I have been studying the different cabinets in the Skytower to decide on trim and doors. It changes in a few places up stairs and the workshop area is different there as well.

-Eric

34823531123_1da479e673_z.jpg

Last edited:
I have been working on the trim design for the cabinets in between waiting for drywall compound to dry on the sheet rock around the cabinets.

The cabinets in the workshop area all have tapered edges with radii at each corner. As opposed to 90 degree angles at each corner. You can see the different panels built into the wall as well as his workbenches in the screencap below. I also like the foam inserts in the wall for his tools. I may have to work something into the actual workshop for that. :)

35501941951_318ffdda00_z.jpg

34823538463_5f4da74f92_z.jpg

The tapered trim works for my needs as well as I want to reduce the thickness of any profiles that would tend to collect dust. You have to remember this office will be above a working shop. I do my best to keep the dust levels down, but I can't catch it all. As part of another project in the shop (installing air compressor lines), I made a sample piece to test it out.

34823528023_20c794dcae_z.jpg

I can see it on the walls next to the drone in the screen cap above. The color is too light for the workshop cabinets. I would need to go with something darker. I had this paint leftover from something else and wanted to practice spraying alkyd paint through it for when I paint everything. Turned out pretty good with my cheap Harbor Freight spray gun.

-Eric

Last edited:
Excellent project!! Hmmmm.... I will start working on my theatre lobby in a few months. It's basically to display all my props and costumes. I have been going over and over how I want to go about it. I've always loved this type of look. This may have inspired me to do the same. Subscribed and look forward to the progress updates.

I did the same thing when I decided on Oblivion. I originally thought about replicating architecture you would find at Tomorrowland or EPCOT from Disneyworld. Then I started wanting to replicate Star Wars pieces. However, as much as I wanted that, I didn't want it to be so specific to a movie. It would look odd having Iron Man sitting on a Star Destroyer for example.

For me, the architecture and design for Oblivion was near perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

Eric, this is too awesome!!!(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Thanks! You'll have to check it out next time you are in the neighborhood.

I have been working on the trim design for the cabinets in between waiting for drywall compound to dry on the sheet rock around the cabinets.

The cabinets in the workshop area all have tapered edges with radii at each corner. As opposed to 90 degree angles at each corner. You can see the different panels built into the wall as well as his workbenches in the screencap below. I also like the foam inserts in the wall for his tools. I may have to work something into the actual workshop for that. :)

The tapered trim works for my needs as well as I want to reduce the thickness of any profiles that would tend to collect dust. You have to remember this office will be above a working shop. I do my best to keep the dust levels down, but I can't catch it all. As part of another project in the shop (installing air compressor lines), I made a sample piece to test it out.

I can see it on the walls next to the drone in the screen cap above. The color is too light for the workshop cabinets. I would need to go with something darker. I had this paint leftover from something else and wanted to practice spraying alkyd paint through it for when I paint everything. Turned out pretty good with my cheap Harbor Freight spray gun.

-Eric

That's a good looking test piece for sure.

In fact it is us the real designers. Because in fact most of the time that you try to reproduce does not exist. This is often 3D. Congratulations anyway for your work. I still want to see more pictures !! and sorry for my English. it is the translator

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back