Oblivion Inspired Office Build

Looking very good...you've mentioned carpet? What kind?

It's a commercial grade carpet. It has a low pile so my desk chair will roll easily. In the film it was a solid surface like a linoleum or rubber, but I wanted something that would absorb sound echos and not break the bank. There is about 700 sq. ft. of flooring needed for this space.

Yes, I understand the "not break the bank" stuff. As you know, there's laminate with cork underlined tiles that absorb sound...but they're expensive:( What color did you choose?

Yes, I understand the "not break the bank" stuff. As you know, there's laminate with cork underlined tiles that absorb sound...but they're expensive:( What color did you choose?

I went with a light grey border and a darker grey "area rug" inlay in the center.

I heard back from the carpet installer yesterday and there is either something wrong with the quote or they are way over priced. 684 sqft of carpet and they want $3400!?! The quote had $884 worth of carpet glue in it! Something is not right there.

If they stick to that price, I'll have to figure something else out.

-Eric

I heard back from the carpet installer and they estimated glue on a per foot basis when it is calculated on a per yard basis. It dropped the price down $2300 which is good, but still up there on cost from what I was expecting. Its been a while since I installed carpet. The cost to install is nearly double the cost of the carpet!

-Eric

Yes, that's the prob: material cost is fairly "low" but, obviously, these guys aren't working for $5 an hour;) I installed my laminate flooring myself and kept much $$$ in my wallet.
Lots of work (measuring, cutting and laying it) but worth it in the end. Never installed carpet, btw...that's another ball game I heard.

Yes, that's the prob: material cost is fairly "low" but, obviously, these guys aren't working for $5 an hour;) I installed my laminate flooring myself and kept much $$$ in my wallet.
Lots of work (measuring, cutting and laying it) but worth it in the end. Never installed carpet, btw...that's another ball game I heard.

Carpet is the one flooring I won't install. Those knee kickers to stretch it do nothing, but destroy your knees.

By my math, these guys are looking for $60 an hour to install carpet. I don't even charge that much for CNC work! :)

I think the sting of it is that it really wasn't exactly what I wanted and I was settling because it would be affordable. I am looking into alternatives like rubber flooring and gym flooring now. Also looking at another carpet company in town. They had a better selection of carpet, but the price was more than I wanted to spend. Which as it turns out is what the current installer is wanting.

In the end, this may just be what the market gets and what I need to pay. If that is the case, I might as well get exactly what I want.

-Eric

You could always go with a carpet tile, if you look online you can find it for between $0.50&1.00 per sqft (at least the last time I looked) and it goes down with tape or glue.

hey eric,

I have glue down low pile gray carpet upstairs in the museum here you're probably seen. It wears terrific, and wasn't very expensive. I have 4000 ft of it and 2 sets of stairs.

I wouldn't worry so much about getting a commercial grade just so you can roll on it at your desk because no carpet will last with repeated rolling around directly on it.

Instead, you can buy a custom commercial hard textured clear floor mat from regal plastic and use that to protect the carpet. They can cut it to your shape, or you can on your router, or I can on mine if you need to cut a really big piece. This is very different than any chair mat you see at office stores.

this is what I always do on carpet at my desks. works terrific.

I think I may have found what I want that fits within my budget.

Found some indoor/ outdoor carpet at Home Depot of all places. It will look the part and has a level of durability that should meet my needs. They come on Tuesday to measure and give me actual costs.

-Eric

Last edited:
Here is the carpet I think I am going to use. I am going to try and use a combination of Smoke and Black Ice from the color palette below. Or may be Smoke and Ivory. I think the room may be getting too dark and the ivory may lighten it up. I'll need to see it in the shop lights when they bring the sample board out with them.

37126368511_129468688e_z.jpg

Also, I got the TV and speakers installed yesterday! Sorry, the lights don't help the picture.

Small update. My light switch arrived. I had to special order to get the right finish and features. It has an occupancy sensor and is also a dimmer. I need to switch my lights for something that actually dims though. Getting the switch allowed me to install the backplate behind the switch.

My outlets are coming separately and should get installed this weekend.

Also, carpet is targeted for installation on October 11.

-Eric

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back