Oblivion Inspired Office Build

I am thinking that the walls will be a light gray and the cabinets a darker gray.

From the movie, the color scheme in the living quarters is white with a bluish gray on the cabinets, while the shop space is three different shades of gray, black and white. I am trying to go more for the shop space since it is more industrial. Since this is my shop, it will probably only be clean when I finish it. :)

-Eric

I got back out there and started cutting more boards.

I got the base boards installed under the cabinet and the side panel to the cabinet. These will also serve as the "wall" panels behind the cabinet. Meaning they will be painted the same color as the sheet rock on the wall. There will be another layer on top of this that will be the "skin" of the cabinet.

Not seen, is I decided to run some Cat5e in the cabinet to provide wired data to the cabinet. I will try WiFi at first, but when it comes to reliability wired is the best way to go.

I have the panel for the top cut, but it will need some manual trimming to fit snug up against the sheet rock.

-Eric

I have everything, but the "skins" on it now.

It's hard to see, but I included a false wall in the cabinet for the TV. This way I have something to install the mount to for the flat panel. I ended up pulling the CAT5e cabling out of the cabinet. The false wall got in the way. I will re-do that once I buy some grommets to trim it out.

I'll order the wood for the "skins" tomorrow and should have it installed in about a week after it comes in. I have a goal to be painting by July 4th.

-Eric

The wall is divided up into 5 panels. I have carved up four of the panels and am working to get them installed over the next week.

I haven't cut the center panel yet as I still need to buy the TV that will go in the cabinet. The exact size of the screen will be needed to know the size of the hole to cut out for it.

I did install two of the panels before I ran out of time this weekend.

The closeup of the first cabinet was taken before I put the cover over plywood to sheet rock transition. The reason it is done like this is to match the wall on the other side of the window. When I built that cabinet into the wall, it created an asymmetry that my OCD could not handle.

The extension of the cabinet into that space gives the illusion that the walls are the same height. When you get to the back of the cabinet, you don't have that visual cue any more telling you something is off.

E4E9B797-B25B-4183-A3F1-E90BDEFC9872_zpssojlmteu.jpg

The second panel covers the bottom center of the cabinet where I intend to install a speaker bar for the TV. The opening will be covered by speaker grille cloth that matches the color scheme.

-Eric

Last edited:
really love those rounded cabinet covers! keep up the good work, it's going to be super nice :)

Actually, I have a question, sorry for the double post. Can I ask how did you do the super large and flat outer bevel? is it a really big router bit with an angle of 60 degrees or something like that? I'm used to do 45 degrees smaller bevels but never did one like yours and would be curious to know how you achieved that.
thanks a lot and congrats again. :)

really love those rounded cabinet covers! keep up the good work, it's going to be super nice :)

Thanks! I thought it was different and that was on of the elements I wanted to capture. It surprises me how much everyone else likes it.

-Eric

- - - Updated - - -

Great thread! Loves me some Oblivion! :thumbsup

*Subscribed.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I have a question, sorry for the double post. Can I ask how did you do the super large and flat outer bevel? is it a really big router bit with an angle of 60 degrees or something like that? I'm used to do 45 degrees smaller bevels but never did one like yours and would be curious to know how you achieved that.
thanks a lot and congrats again. :)

I am doing it with my CNC. I could have probably had a custom bit made and cut my production time, but I had the tools that could do it and am using this project as a showcase for things that are possible with the CNC. The dimension of the bevel are a 1/2" deep and 2 1/2" across.

-Eric

Looking very good...eager to see it with the first coat of paint. Details will come later for sure and that'll add to the overall look.

A ball mill?

11.31 degrees with those dimensions.

Thanks Phillip! I used a 1/4" ball nose on all the bevels.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking very good...eager to see it with the first coat of paint. Details will come later for sure and that'll add to the overall look.

me too!

- - - Updated - - -

I wish I had the space and the time to build an office this cool. What are your plans for the flooring?

Right now, I am thinking industrial carpet. Also looking at rubber floors and even EVA floor tiles from Harbor Freight.

There's many manufacturers of vinyl flooring (cork backing for insulation). Colors/style are numerous and yes, even polish concrete exists.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back