Kevin's scatter build thread

1475711012758371609987.jpg
This is as far as I can go for now with this helmet. Waiting on the frown mesh and looking into something to replace the lenses with. The seams are filled and the vents have been cut out.

Doesn't look like I will be doing any painting or priming this week because of the hurricane getting ready to make its mess. Too humid and unpredictable weather right now. Looks like I will be doing alot of hand and assembly work if I can that is. We will see.

just checked 2 things off my honey do list... to tired to get cracking on anything right now

i'll sit back and watch kevin work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just checked 2 things off my honey do list... to tired to get cracking on anything right now

i'll sit back and watch kevin work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here you go, can't let you down, lol.

I am working on putting the two halves together for Kylo and what a pain in the backside! I found by removing the velcro, I got a tighter more accurate seam, but trying to hold them together to weld wasn't as fun. I decided to use some tape and clamps to give me a start. I used some weldon and a syringe and now it has to dry. The trooper helmet is way stronger than I originally thought it would be so I don't believe I need to glass the inside however Kylo and Boba will need to be glassed. If I dont, any movement can break my paint job.

I also have decided to glass Kylo before I cut the cheek holes out.
20161005_190100.jpg20161005_190054.jpg20161005_190742.jpg

Kevin have you decided on what paint you are going to use? I'm trying to find the matching texture paint of the black series helmet

Kevin have you decided on what paint you are going to use? I'm trying to find the matching texture paint of the black series helmet
Hammered looks the best to me. I'm also looking for a rubber texture coating as I believe the outer piece of the mouth guard appears to be rubber or made to look like rubber. I can be mistaken however I have the BS kylo and that's what it looks like to me. I have also been studying the photos from anovos and prop shop and it looks consistent.

My weld has dried so I took my file to it and smoothed it all out and now it's even. Ready for some bondo. I also filled the sound holes with some 1/2 mill layered ABS.
20161005_204035.jpg20161005_204026.jpg20161005_204052.jpg20161005_204201.jpg20161005_204716.jpg
Weather permitting, I may try and glass the inside this weekend.

i know some of the ghostbusters guys use ceiling texture spray to simulate the texture of the pack, its rough a bumpy, Rens helmet has smaller bumps then what the proton packs do. but I've seen guys soak the spray cans in warm water before spraying packs to thin out the texture. before i cut apart a BS Ren i want to make sure i have the correct texture paint that way i can hide my mistakes! :ninja

I also have decided to glass Kylo before I cut the cheek holes out.

Sorry, what do you mean by "glass"? Thanks!

edit: Also I'm from St. Pete so glad someone is watching the Bucs even though we are suffering!

edit: Also I'm from St. Pete so glad someone is watching the Bucs even though we are suffering!
I believe he means fiberglass the inside. By fiberglassing it reinforces the inside to the helmet so it's not all playable like it is off the shelf:)

Alex

i know some of the ghostbusters guys use ceiling texture spray to simulate the texture of the pack, its rough a bumpy, Rens helmet has smaller bumps then what the proton packs do. but I've seen guys soak the spray cans in warm water before spraying packs to thin out the texture. before i cut apart a BS Ren i want to make sure i have the correct texture paint that way i can hide my mistakes! :ninja

If you are filling seams in the BS, it may be better to just try and feather in your putty to match the texture. Kind of like matching the finish on a drywall repair if you will. That way, all you need to do is shoot a flat or satin finish over the entire helmet. The hammered finish will help me because the target kylo is smooth. I have the BS so I know exactly what you mean.

We will get better. I like what we have, just need to mature alittle.

And yes, glass is just short for fiberglass. That update will come very soon pending weather. Stay dry and safe , the storm is on the way .

Go Bucs!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you everyone. Building is a passion of mine. I will try not to drive everyone crazy with too many details. Lol

The kylo mouth piece was just driving me crazy, no depth at all, just a chunk of plastic. So I took out my scratch tools and dug out the lines to add some detail and depth. I have been studying both anovos and prop shop photos and the mouth guard really has alot of detail. Also the anovos photos are lighter and if you look closely on the bottom of the helmet, the bottom runner looks to be rubber and runs up on the inside of the helmet. I cut this piece out and I will use a piece of rubber after I glass the inside. I also cut a groove right above the mouth guard and filled in the top groove. Also those angels in the back of the helmet aren't on any of the other helmets so I cut them out. Surprisingly, the flaps closed by themselves.

Here are some photos however the detail doesn't show up as well being dark. They may show up better once I prime it.

IMG_2632.JPGIMG_2633.JPGIMG_2634.JPG

Warning, not for the squeamish! Lol

To finish up with the mouth gaurd, I cut the top angel out in a V. If you look closely at your target mold, you can actually see the shape. It's just covered up with paint to look like the grill. In the prop shop and anovos photos, you can see the mouth gaurd is off in front and the mask holds its own contour to the face.
20161006_214822.jpg20161006_214813.jpg

I will work on reshaping this tomorrow. This appears to be the last of the cuts before I glass the inside. Not too bad for only 30 dollars.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back