ALS (Atmospheric Land Speeder)

tiking

This was my first scratch built SF model I ever did. I have always been interested in SF models but military modeling has always been my first love. But this time I wanted to try something different and decided to go for it with both feet in. So I decided I wanted to make my first entry into the Sci-Fi arena, a Hover craft. I had three versions of hover bike that will be building.

This one you see here is the first of the three. I called this one ALS(Atmospheric Land Speeder). I wanted something rugged, weathered, beaten up, Badass and interesting to look upon with a mouth watering effect. I loved the Star Wars version, both old and the new version. Someone had scratch built the new Star Wars land speeder which took my breath away. So I decided to scratch built mine in order to get the look and feel of what I was aiming for. The build is partly scratch and modified using parts from different other kits. I also used materials like electrical sockets, old astma powder holders and bits and pieces of misc. materials that fit the bill.

The result is what you see before you. I had no major plans or drawings but I knew how I wanted it to look in my head. So bit by bit I just tried different materials to see how'd it look, then just glued it in place. Still need a bit more weathering in certain places. Have to change out the wooden base for a much nicer one. Then supports for the model to be attached. Then it will be done.

als_new_pics13_zpsrulqwa6i.jpg

als_new_pics17_zpsrghnvt5z.jpg

als_new_pics16_zpsrv8iq1t1.jpg

als_new_pics19_zpsl4kzyaoi.jpg

als_new_pics15_zpsze4l1u0p.jpg

als_new_pics14_zpscxfdv4l2.jpg

als_new_pics12_zpsfzcv4web.jpg

als_new_pics11_zpsf7ratrqa.jpg

als_new_pics10_zpspndm1pnq.jpg

als_new_pics9_zpsqi75f50v.jpg

als_new_pics8_zpsgghmyhd2.jpg

als_new_pics7_zpsd9rqzlxq.jpg

als_new_pics3_zpsldc88e3n.jpg

als_new_pics5_zpsjjsjtgjg.jpg

als_new_pics2_zpsimlscoaw.jpg

als_new_pics4_zps69rhfrh0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the weathered metal look on the yellow fins. Could you describe how you achieved that? I'm in the early planning stages of what I'm calling a "Rebel N-1 Fighter," which is basically the Naboo fighter stripped down and modified to be a rebel fighter during the time of the Original Trilogy. That metal look you made would be perfect!

I love the weathered metal look on the yellow fins. Could you describe how you achieved that?

I used both sponge and dry brushing techniques to achieve the results. Are you aware of them? Here is an article I wrote describing how I made steel plates out of posterboard. It also includes how I dry brush the metalic look on them. Take a read further down the article and see if you understand.: https://www.dropbox.com/s/shbxtnw6bnwis9y/Cardboard_Steel_tutorial.pdf?dl=0

- - - Updated - - -

That looks fantastic. If I saw that vehicle in a movie trailer my interest would be piqued.

Thank you Murph.

Great work. You got exactly the right colour combinations with the fin weathering. Has a bit of a Mad Max meets The Fantom Menace feel.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back