Soda syphon - ESB part? Maybe more?

The siphon pictured above by myself is called a vintage BOC England Soda Syphon. Unless that was already known.

IMG_1848.JPG

Makes sense considering where some of the production was. I've seen one on EBay so far for $60USD. Happy hunting gents

looking deeper into eBay there seems to be plenty brands with that styled top

So I took the plunge and snagged one for $21.

im going to wait to get the bulb holder until I've messed around a little with the syphon top.

and with the wait time between arrival, I'm sure some more info will arise to assist in the build.

I have been looking at this prop for a while. Followed some other threads before I joined so tonight I took the plunge.

The Scuba mask strap is very close. Correct hardware and the lines marking the adjustment look close to Han's

The Soda bottle I think is it, as far as the top section. My thanks to the various members who have been looking at this.

The Oxygen Mask is a standard and looks like the same one and the tube is similar as it's clear spiral ribbed so we shall see.

Ordered this:

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

This:

s-l500.jpg

This:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

And this:

s-l500.jpg

I will post pics when it all arrives.

Awesome ThomasBond!

i was looking at oxygen masks right now. Thanks for the info on the strap as that was my next mission.

now just to figure out the bottom piece used below the soda syphon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to go out on a limb here and predict that the bottom half of the tank may be a different soda syphon (without the additional spout) turned upside and joined at the seam, held together with the green/brown casing. The tank does appears to be rather small.

Going to go out on a limb here and predict that the bottom half of the tank may be a different soda syphon (without the additional spout) turned upside and joined at the seam, held together with the green/brown casing. The tank does appears to be rather small.

that's a great idea. to me it looks like the end of the tank has a square shape to it

do you guys see that as well? on the busts it's a cylinder shape, but on screen to me looks like the end has a square shape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been looking at this prop for a while. Followed some other threads before I joined so tonight I took the plunge.

The Scuba mask strap is very close. Correct hardware and the lines marking the adjustment look close to Han's

The Soda bottle I think is it, as far as the top section. My thanks to the various members who have been looking at this.

The Oxygen Mask is a standard and looks like the same one and the tube is similar as it's clear spiral ribbed so we shall see.

Ordered this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ALsAAOSwzaJX2eWB/s-l1600.jpghttp://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/1oMAAOSwCGVX2eXK/s-l1600.jpg

This:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/yHEAAOSwDuJW0Ojt/s-l500.jpg

This:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/~48AAOSwFe5XxNhq/s-l1600.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/92IAAOSw-kdXxNhw/s-l1600.jpg

And this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/kBcAAMXQDfdRv0l3/s-l500.jpg

I will post pics when it all arrives.

that's a great pile of parts you got there!! where did you find he mask and hose?

it seems a few guys are having problems buying them off ebay. the picture posted shows the older looking mask, but when the mask comes it's the new age one with small hose. with the small hose the underside of the nose is different and the big tube won't fit inside

that's a great pile of parts you got there!! where did you find he mask and hose?

it seems a few guys are having problems buying them off ebay. the picture posted shows the older looking mask, but when the mask comes it's the new age one with small hose. with the small hose the underside of the nose is different and the big tube won't fit inside

All on Ebay.

Yes, that is a problem on the mask then.

I will post everything when it gets here.

The Oxygen mask was like $4 so no big.

I am excited abut the Scuba mask strap as I had not found anything close up to this point and off course the Soda Bottle.

Stay with me here, this all comes back to this prop:

Thinking about the top knob on the oxygen tank:
IMG_1914.JPG

could it be the top of a drafting tool, similar to these:
IMG_1911.JPGIMG_1913.JPG( It does look like there is a difference in conference from the tools I pictured and the tanks top. These were for quick reference.)

In Luke's "ROTJ lightsaber screwdriver thread", there was talk about the scene in ESB which Chewie uses something similar to Luke tool.
IMG_1915.JPG
This tool that both use is thought to be a drafting tool. However the tool both Luke and Chewie use has a bulbous top.
Like the existing top piece of the drafting tool was removed and replaced.

This may hold the theory of the bulbous top being added to the tool in both films and the prop department reusing the drafting tools top on the oxygen tank for Empire.

idk, whatta you all think? I may be over thinking this hahah

Stay with me here, this all comes back to this prop:

Thinking about the top knob on the oxygen tank:
View attachment 668107

could it be the top of a drafting tool, similar to these:
View attachment 668108View attachment 668109( It does look like there is a difference in conference from the tools I pictured and the tanks top. These were for quick reference.)

In Luke's "ROTJ lightsaber screwdriver thread", there was talk about the scene in ESB which Chewie uses something similar to Luke tool.
View attachment 668110
This tool that both use is thought to be a drafting tool. However the tool both Luke and Chewie use has a bulbous top.
Like the existing top piece of the drafting tool was removed and replaced.

This may hold the theory of the bulbous top being added to the tool in both films and the prop department reusing the drafting tools top on the oxygen tank for Empire.

idk, whatta you all think? I may be over thinking this hahah

i always believed that the tool chewie uses is the same tool luke uses in the cave. as for the tank... it looks like a different part is strapped onto the side of the top. where the hose goes in almost looks like a coil pack mount... these mounts weren't around back in the 70s since ford only came out with them in the 80s....

hmmmm

All right we are off and running. The Soda bottle I ordered is definitely the correct one but the top notched Chrome knob is not quite the one on the screen used bottles. Mine's cutouts are not deep enough so make sure when you order yours to get one with the correct top that is then painted and put on the side. There are several correct bottles on Ebay but currently I only saw one with the correct top.

This one has the correct chrome top:

s-l1600.jpg

Here is mine. The bottle itself is huge and not part of the prop obviously.

Slug%20Cave%20Mask%20186.jpg

The mask I ordered seems to be correct. Strictly speaking the ends on the metal nose strip run length wise and the Han one runs width wise but otherwise I think this is it. I ordered a couple a few years back and they were wrong, often nothing like the pic so I was happy to get this one. It's a little squished and needs some forming but when I put it on it's pretty exact.

Slug%20Cave%20Mask%20189.jpg

Slug%20Cave%20Mask%20188.jpg

I got mine form this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-A...757294?hash=item2ef11dcb6e:g:kBcAAMXQDfdRv0l3

The sleep apneia tube is way too small so that hunt continues. It goes in the tube on the mask where Han's goes on the outside.

More in a moment,....

Okay the top of the bottle is fun. The activation handle sticks out quite a ways but once you remove the top chrome piece it sits in closer to the bottle and I bet you anything it's on there as the hook on theirs coats. Just look at the hook below and then the pics of the bottles hanging off of them on set:

swempire_2918.jpg

Also compare the area above the red knob section to the Leia picture and you can see.the remnants of the area where the chrome cover was removed. Then I guess they sliced off the long, thin spray tube, glued on the ATAT Co2 part and stuffed the tube in there. You can see the end of the tube going into Han's canister is squarish from the square hole.

Slug%20Cave%20Mask%20203.jpg

Slug%20Cave%20Mask%20205.jpg

Slug%20Cave%20Mask%20201.jpg

Slug%20Cave%20Mask%20208.jpg

swempire_2916.jpg

image%203.jpg

Grooves not deep and angled enough:
Slug%20Cave%20Mask%20211.jpg

Slug%20Cave%20Mask%20209.jpg

Waiting on my Scuba mask and the just ordered C02 holder

If you look at pictures for most non-rebreather masks, almost all have one-way valves in that area. My guess is the greeblies in this mask are not added but original to that brand of mask.

Also the hose is likely the same used for ventilators.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back