Want to make a model. Need advice

Customrelic

Hi all,
since i was a child i always liked models. A local store had the ones where you glue all the pieces together and painted it. I made an destroyed many. Fast foward 20+ years and i find myself drawn to them again. But this time, there are sites like this one with amazing models and builders. Although i am an acomplished artist, prop builder whatever, i dont know the first thing about models now. My goal is to build a star wars AT AT from scratch. I figured i could use thin wood, draw and cut out the pieces and make it. Id like to make it a fairly decent size, say 16" by 24" long. I guess my questions are can a model like this be made from wood (besides a boat)? is there anything else i should consider? I do have the ability to sculpt, mold, cast, airbrush etc. i know how serious you guys are in this part of the RPF so please be gentle. Thanksnfor any help/advice

I'd prefer building it with either styrene or ABS or acrylic.

Balsa wood will make the painting stages much harder to deal with and any techniques you would use for construction with wood sheets you can use with styrene sheets

Since you mentioned being able to make molds etc, you could build masters for parts that get re-used and cast them in resin. Like the legs and feet for example. You would only need to make on master and then cast the parts four times

I'd prefer building it with either styrene or ABS or acrylic.

Balsa wood will make the painting stages much harder to deal with and any techniques you would use for construction with wood sheets you can use with styrene sheets

Since you mentioned being able to make molds etc, you could build masters for parts that get re-used and cast them in resin. Like the legs and feet for example. You would only need to make on master and then cast the parts four times

Thanks for the help. Could i use wood if doing molds as the master? I would assume the master could be anything? As far as abs and styrene, is that readily available or must it be ordered? Does it come in sheets?

yes. you can make your master of whatever you wish as long as it can stand the molding process. diamonds...mashed potatoes...dried out toothpaste....

You could build pieces / a 'skeleton' out of wood, and then skin it with plastic sheet. IIRC, the original Nostromo was made that way.

Yes, plastic sheet can be ordered in sheets, rods, extruded tubes, T-track, I-beams, etc. You can also simply buy cheap plastic "For Sale" signs from the local hardware store and use those.

According to "Sculpting a Galaxy," the three stop-motion AT-ATs were 18 inches tall, which is close to your specified size. You can build yours at the same size as the 'real' models and use some of the same 'donor' kit parts and materials.

If you're going to make a master out of wood, it's going to have to be sanded smooth and sealed before you mold it.

-MJ

I would probably start with building a paper model out of heavy card stock first. Or glue the paper model pattern to chip board. You can find paper models of the At-At online for free. You may have to enlarge them to get them to the scale you want. By building a paper model first you will get a better idea of scale and parts your going to need.
You can get sheets of Styrene stock at sign shops. It's much cheaper than buying the sheets from a hobby store.
I got a sheet of 4 foot x 8 foot (.20 thousands thick) sheet for around $15.00.

All I would suggest is that if you haven't done a lot of model building especially scratch building from plans or example, pick something easy that won't take months or years to get done. Big projects can be daunting and something smaller and/or easier projects will get finished sooner and build confidence.....just my 2cents I hope it helps;)

All I would suggest is that if you haven't done a lot of model building especially scratch building from plans or example, pick something easy that won't take months or years to get done. Big projects can be daunting and something smaller and/or easier projects will get finished sooner and build confidence.....just my 2cents I hope it helps;)
This is great advice, nothing with give you the encouragement you need better then seeing a completed model , done within a few weeks, pick something along the same lines even as what your going to build so the painting technique will be a practice for you.

You could always see if theres a hobby shop around where you live. They should have sheets of styrene. If not, then there are plenty places to order it.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back