"Tie Killer" Y-Wing Based on Dave G Open Source

kokkari

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well, I was a little nervous about jumping into this project because of the time, financial commitment, and my lack of patience. My intent is to reproduce my favorite Y-wing, Gold Leader or "Tie Killer". I was torn between doing this Y and the "MOM" Y or whatever it's called now a days. The fact that this bird saw screen time was the deciding factor on which way to go for me. I know that it will take me a very long time to complete this based on how many parts I still need and more specifically Tie Killer specific parts that I still need. Needless to say I've been blown away by the support and sharing of RPF members with your generosity and reaching out to help me and others. You know who you are.

I've started some part maps that are "Tie Killer" specific. As of now they are just a start with some areas of the ship I haven't even explored yet. The intent is to identify parts or configurations specific to this bird. the good news is I keep finding new parts all the time which is really exciting for me. Please feel free to chime in with any knowledge, corrections, or identifications that others may know. I don't claim to be any sort of expert, just a passionate model builder. I'll add more maps and identifications and corrections as I go. These photos are taken from publicly posted photos on Flickr of the Neisen Tie Killer that were displayed publicly a while back.

Right Side.jpg

Left Side.jpg

Right now I'm in the process of mocking the ship up to see how it looks and how everything will fit based on the marriage of 3D design and model kit parts. Not much is actually glued together yet, hence all the tape holding it together. Iv'e been modding the upper neck, slightly widening it so the 8rad side walls will fit properly, redoing the droid socket to fit the astromech more snug, extending the droid socket back, and lowering the very back so the Sealab tubes will fit in the crevice.Still need to sand it up better.
20160922_171644.jpg
A big Thank You to Dave G. for making this possible!

Last edited:
Great news Kokkari , Gold Two following you on trench run,
this is the Y-Wing I fell in love with , and to be very specific if I'm lucky enough to get a cockpit mine will be the original Tie Killer before someone desicrated it with green for a later film ;)

I agree with you. I liked it's original paint better, before the huge black streak on the nose and before they put in the black window inserts. Even with no cockpit I liked it better. It has been verified that the heavy weathering did appear in the movie, so I'll probably paint a happy medium. Somewhere between the two.

Meanwhile, I decided to look over the Centurion kit one more time last night and found that this piece is a match and just cut down from the original piece. It's located on the protruding starboard side side wall. I can't believe how much they used the centurion on Tie Killer!
Starboard.jpg20160923_182715.jpg

I agree with you. I liked it's original paint better, before the huge black streak on the nose and before they put in the black window inserts. Even with no cockpit I liked it better. It has been verified that the heavy weathering did appear in the movie, so I'll probably paint a happy medium. Somewhere between the two.
Agreed even in the trench run there is a black mark on it , as they lit the models they probably had to adjust weathering for it to show up / register on screen
as you say the original artist , joe Johnsons hand is more subtle , love the red and black detailed weathering .......going to be fun to replicate

So, the more I study this ship the more I've realized that the rear bulkhead or I should say portions of the rear bulkhead are used quite a bit. The Centurion is used more so. the same few pieces are just chopped up and used all over this thing. Here is some progress I've been making. I use Silcast II for my casts which comes out white and makes it difficult to see the detail until it's painted.

20161003_171204.jpg

I especially like this little assembly of the PDR, Tiger, and F4 strut. I love how intricate it is.

20161003_1706192.jpg

the other side uses part of the PDR to fill in the space below, but this side is different. Can anyone identify the higlighted piece? My guess is it's part of a larger piece cut down.

VEH_IA_205c2.jpg20.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
So I've been mocking up the Y to see the overall look and for my taste I wanted the cockpit profile to be a little more level. It had a slight downward angle, or I should say it has a slight natural downward angle due to its shape. Since there are 2 screws that attach the cockpit to the metal armature I decided to glue a little wedge with .20 mm styrene which would lift the nose up slightly. I liked the way it came out.
20161009_134204.jpg

I realize I should of taken a before photo, but here is the cockpit profile now.

20161014_104155.jpg

Started work on the engine nozzles while I've been waiting for more kit parts to come in. I used Stephan's engine core 3D file and made my own fins. Time to put some greeblies on them.

20161014_102823.jpg20161014_102033.jpg

Look a Y-Wing!
20161014_102507.jpg

Your "highlighted" area for the side is 4 parts. 25pdr, and 3 small centurion parts glued on top.

So, the more I study this ship the more I've realized that the rear bulkhead or I should say portions of the rear bulkhead are used quite a bit. The Centurion is used more so. the same few pieces are just chopped up and used all over this thing. Here is some progress I've been making. I use Silcast II for my casts which comes out white and makes it difficult to see the detail until it's painted.

View attachment 669462

I especially like this little assembly of the PDR, Tiger, and F4 strut. I love how intricate it is.

View attachment 669463

the other side uses part of the PDR to fill in the space below, but this side is different. Can anyone identify the higlighted piece? My guess is it's part of a larger piece cut down.

View attachment 669464View attachment 669465

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have a suggestion or preference for the styrene thickness for all the little square and triangle addons that are all over the cockpit? My initial thought is .10mm.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back