"Tie Killer" Y-Wing Based on Dave G Open Source

How do you bend the pipes so far? I expect to get some unattractive bends when I have to go 90 degrees with them. It's hard to bend without a squashed area at the bend. I found that out when bending the part on top of the Rotj at-st head. I ended up putting a amaller tube inside to get nice corners.

How do you bend the pipes so far? I expect to get some unattractive bends when I have to go 90 degrees with them. It's hard to bend without a squashed area at the bend. I found that out when bending the part on top of the Rotj at-st head. I ended up putting a amaller tube inside to get nice corners.

All I do is put one end of the brass in a pair of pliers that I have which has no teeth and bend it with my hand putting all the pressure towards the bend in order to keep the bend focused on the one area. The inner flat end of the pair of pliers prevents teeth marks on the soft brass.

Edit: I just realized that you are using hollow brass rods if you have inserted another inside. I use solid brass to keep the brass from collapsing when bending.

Last edited:
Those Dubro tubing benders look pretty sweet, I just ordered a set. As their video says, it's important to anneal the tubing with a torch before bending.

For anything smaller than 1/8" I would just use solid brass rod. or even easier, copper. Again, annealing will make the bending much easier.

On the original models a lot of the smaller (3/64" and 1/16") diameter piping was Plastruct's plastic coated wire (TB-1 and TB-2). I've never been a big fan of the stuff (it's difficult to get tight bends without denting the plastic coating with the pliers) and prefer to use brass or copper wire instead for those sizes.

So what's the consensuses here? Is this the PDR part with a window frame behind it? If so, did they do it the same way for all the birds?
SW_ANH-YWing8-1.jpg

I've been searching high and low for this part that goes on the bottom/rear of the cockpit of Gold Leader. A big thank you to Jason who led me in the right direction with this part in saying that it was from a 1/24 Airfix aircraft, which led me to find it on the Hurricane. I had heard that no one knows what the base is from so it was pretty easy to scratch.
20161207_081616.jpg20161207_1017301.jpg

PS- Looks kinda like a pregnancy test.

Last edited:
Here is where I'm at with identifications. Not sure if #2 was even identified on the EFX Gold Leader. Any help on these would be greatly appreciated. A big thank you to TonyR from 308 bits designing the mystery pieces in blue for me! Happy Holidays!
202.jpg201.jpg

Last edited:
Re: "Tie Killer" Y-Wing Based on Dave G Open Source

I thought #1 was from a 1/24 airfix kit again, but I don't keep track (ugh I know).... #2 no one has IDed yet.
Can't remember #3 and #4 is from the 8 Rad.

Is TonyR selling those blue bits? Looks great!

- - - Updated - - -

Was this IDed?

202.jpg

Re: "Tie Killer" Y-Wing Based on Dave G Open Source

I thought #1 was from a 1/24 airfix kit again, but I don't keep track (ugh I know).... #2 no one has IDed yet.
Can't remember #3 and #4 is from the 8 Rad.

Is TonyR selling those blue bits? Looks great!

- - - Updated - - -

Was this IDed?

View attachment 690414
Hmmm, I can't find #1 in my Hurricane, Messerschmitt, or Mustang kits. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the 8Rad part. For some reason I was looking for a flat piece, not realizing it was round and right in front of my face.

As far as the piece you highlighted, my guess is the 8Rad #B5 chopped up. Not quite sure though.
Capture1.PNG

Yes, TonyR was kind enough to design it for me. It's up in his store. Not sure if he is adjusting the price. I thought that the current listed price was for me because of the design charge.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/3CDFP49J4/wing-y-studio-scale-greeblie?optionId=61420966

So I purchased the new chronicles book and was really surprised to see how they mounted TK from the front. It appears that a whole section of the bottom of the cockpit is removable to access the mount. Sorry if this is old news to some, but now it makes sense why there are six screws on the bottom. I had always figured they mounted them through the front of the nose, but makes sense as that gap is too narrow. Not sure if all the hero Y's worked this way. I'll have to look through more photos.
Tie Killer Side.jpg31.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back