Redlettermedia appreciation thread!

NeoRutty

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
29821451215_19b15d866e_c.jpg

Well this may be the least commented on thread in here, but as I was finishing my second watch through all their "Best of the Worst" episodes, and re-listening to their commentary for Aliens, I figured that these guys have actually provided me with more hours of entertainment than my cable subscription has...

For those who've never heard of them, they're just a bunch of film nerds in Milwaukee who make youtube vids reviewing new movies... commenting on terrible ones... making their own low budget "comedies"... just generally living the dream.

And, as some know, they rose to fame with their prequel reviews, and are on the verge of releasing their review of "The Force Awakens".

Am I alone in this? I doubt it.

If you HAVEN'T seen the prequel reviews (some have and love them, some hate them) here's the first part... (the rest will continue in playlist)

I truly believe this should be shown in Film Schools... it's about everything you need to know about story.

Attachments

• 29821451215_19b15d866e_c.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 181
  • 29821451215_19b15d866e_c.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 170
Last edited by a moderator:
I love those guys. I want to hang out with them.

I loved their recent George Lucas salad unboxing video

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I love those guys. I want to hang out with them.

I loved their recent George Lucas salad unboxing video

yep the slow hype for the TFA review begins... (the salad unboxing vid)

about to watch the Blair Witch "half in the bag" - haven't seen it, and after this won't have too. Heh.

this probably will be more entertaining anyway.

The one on the right (Rich Evans I think?) makes me want to burn planets and drown entire galaxies. Kudos to the guys for making some entertaining stuff and making a living out of what they do, but as soon as his face appears in a video I want to hurt something. I think I've seen him in other videos, and his voice, mannerisms etc inspire me to such hatred. And I don't like feeling that way! haha.

Although I found the Plinkett character...odd...I really appreciated the incisive way in which they pored over TPM. I've never watched the whole thing (haven't had time), and their TPM review is the only one I've seen, but the thing I appreciated about the review was that they actually bothered to back up their points with issues related to the storytelling techniques used in the films instead of just having it be "This sucked, that sucked, and George Lucas raped my childhood."

But yeah, the pizza rolls and Plinkett's "guest" stuff...I hope they ended up toning that down in later vids.

Also, I love that they call out bad youtube trends.

Their TFA trailer fan reaction video was also amazing

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

The one on the right (Rich Evans I think?) makes me want to burn planets and drown entire galaxies. I think I've seen him in other videos, and his voice, mannerisms etc inspire me to such hatred. And I don't like feeling that way! haha.

Yeah Rich took a while to grow on me... but his character as their punching bag is often hilarious. Also every time Mike gets too drunk on camera, Rich pays for it. They have another guy, "The Wizard", who's on every once in a while, he's not the best. Nothing against him, but he doesn't have the same comic sensibilities as the others. Takes it almost too seriously.

Jack took a while to grow on me (the bald guy coming from behind the seats), and now he's killing it.

Also, I love that they call out bad youtube trends.

Their TFA trailer fan reaction video was also amazing

Their click bait reading through wookiepedia on Darth Vader's suit was a slow build to hilarity.

Wheel of the Worst might be my favorite thing they do.

It took me a while to watch any of those vids... then I got bored and started from the beginning... now every Friday night I'm hoping one is uploaded so I can get drunk and watch.

The great thing about their reviews is that they do them as themselves, but bookmark them with caricatures of themselves complete with catch phrases.

All 3 have different ways of saying "Oh my gawd" - all of which I use regularly now.

I really hope they do a plinkett review of TFA. They were incredibly soft on the film when it was out of the gates

Oh it's happening... two hype videos already leading up to it...

*last 30 seconds*

But the interesting bit will be that Mike Stoklassa LOVED TFA...

"I loved it. It was everything I hoped it would be" *choking up while saying it* (TFA original opening night review)

"The Force Awakens was masterfully done in soft rebooting a series and respecting the fans" (ghostbusters 2016 review... so well after the movie was released)

So while they WILL tear into it, it won't be an overly negative review.

Oh it's happening... two hype videos already leading up to it...

https://youtu.be/4sU7bsDhgxU

https://youtu.be/j4z3xv2l9_k

*last 30 seconds*

But the interesting bit will be that Mike Stoklassa LOVED TFA...

"I loved it. It was everything I hoped it would be" *choking up while saying it* (TFA original opening night review)

"The Force Awakens was masterfully done in soft rebooting a series and respecting the fans" (ghostbusters 2016 review... so well after the movie was released)

So while they WILL tear into it, it won't be an overly negative review.

I wasn't overly negative when I walked out of the theatre either.

But over time, I've started to think more about Lucas and the prequels and the clone wars. A lot about hollywood has been revealed in the last year (ghostbusters had a lot to do with that) and Star wars is a part of the machine that I don't hold in a favorable light. I love that South Park may be tackling some of that this year

Ghostbusters isn't being handled by Star Wars fans... Star Wars is. Yeah there's definitely commercial money at stake, but JJ is one of us, Rian... I'm not sure what his history is with it...

JJ loved Star Wars so much he made Trek into it... (As has been stated a million times)

But as far as RLM goes, right up to the Ghostbusters film he was still saying it's great.

I mean I loved it and could still tear it apart... But I could also go into why it perfectly fits with the genre and storytelling...

Ghostbusters isn't being handled by Star Wars fans... Star Wars is. Yeah there's definitely commercial money at stake, but JJ is one of us, Rian... I'm not sure what his history is with it...

JJ loved Star Wars so much he made Trek into it... (As has been stated a million times)

But as far as RLM goes, right up to the Ghostbusters film he was still saying it's great.

I mean I loved it and could still tear it apart... But I could also go into why it perfectly fits with the genre and storytelling...
JJ may be one of us (Mind you, I don't feel I have ANYTHING in common with that guy. He actually bothers me) but it doesn't make him any less a part of the machine that's making self important, ramshackle fantasy films.

https://youtu.be/LpjtpqZyPDY

When I say that film making has changed, this is what I'm talking about

https://youtu.be/hOttfoJ4ygU

Last edited:
JJ may be one of us (Mind you, I don't feel I have ANYTHING in common with that guy. He actually bothers me) but it doesn't make him any less a part of the machine that's making self important, ramshackle fantasy films.

https://youtu.be/LpjtpqZyPDY

When I say that film making has changed, this is what I'm talking about

https://youtu.be/hOttfoJ4ygU

Can't say I agree with the first vid there, especially his rant on cliffhangers... since Empire is in no way a stand alone movie, and is completely a cliffhanger. Doesn't matter if the original trilogy had mystery or not... it's doing something new. You can't compare to the original trilogy is a sense that it "didn't try and create mystery", cuz Star Wars wasn't written with a trilogy in mind. An opening scroll doesn't mean it's got more stories down the line, and the "IV" was an after thought. After that original OF COURSE there was myster box. "Ben... why didn't you tell me?"

Abrams gets Star Wars... he gets that it's wizards and knights in Space... ROGUE ONE is not Star Wars... it looks cool, it's a close relative, but maybe through marriage or was adopted out and raised in another country.

As for the second vid, I didn't watch... But I know it's about China money..well nothing can change that now. The theatrical movie industry is dying. You make your money opening weekend... and China has money. So things are going to be aimed for that money. You want to make money opening weekend?

- Name Property.
- Aim for Chinese Market.

In some ways Star Wars went against that with Fin... If they really wanted their money, they wouldn't have cast a black guy, instead they just made him tiny in the posters. heh

The reality is the future is "Netflix"... meaning the model will change and the chances will be taken on the home screen. I don't think I'll see anything as great as "Stranger Things" in the theater this year.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back