Redlettermedia appreciation thread!

On topic... RLM has always been great on analysis of story, but then they also introduce me to another guy who's also great with breaking down story...

Max Landis - Great with story... still somehow makes terrible movies

This vid ALSO gets into why Hollywood is struggling with movies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watched the Plinkett analysis of The Force Awakens......I must have almost exactly the same tastes as these guys,.....I loved the 'What would have made TFA better' idea.....that storyline would have flowed a lot smoother

J

Yup did a double feature last night where I re-watched TFA and then followed up with the Plinkett review!

Turns out I should have done a prequel screening and then the Plinkett review, because it was actually a lot more about the prequels again than TFA.

I did find their dissection of the "Ring Theory" good... cuz yeah this strange "No, the prequels were misunderstood masterpieces!" is a weird movement that I'm glad they commented on. It's weird that there are so many videos by prequel apologists... I've heard instances of it, but no one I know doesn't think the prequels are garbage. And I work with hundreds of nerds a day.

Anyways, the TFA review part was pretty much what was expected. Mike loved TFA, so while he nitpicked it, he did constantly mention that he liked it.

Hell I LOVED it and I could nitpick it as well.

Actually the section where they nitpicked like internet whiners was great.

But I didn't go into this video like a lot of people expecting "Plinkett" to roast it.... so I enjoyed it. TFA haters will be disappointed

Re: Redlettermedia appreciation thread! - Plinkett TFA review is UP.

Over the last month or so I have been gradually watching everything they have made, I love these guys.

Has the room one been pulled though?

I was told by a friend to watch that, but am struggling to find it.

I have no memory of a "Room" anything from them... well they reviewed "Room" the Brie Larson movie.... when they did their oscar preview. I believe.

I have actually watched all the way through every episode of "Best of the Worst" twice...

Samuri cop is available to watch on amazon prime for free, but at the moment my internet isnt fast enough to watch it.

Hopefully next month.

Incidentally, we had a housewarming at our new place yesterday and two 8 year old boys went down to the basement, pulled out my 6 film blu ray boxed set and watched...the Phantom menace

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I also felt that they were too kind on the film. They would mention the problems but then give it a pass. On no other film would they let that fly.

They "let it fly" because they liked the flick. I loved the flick and I could still pick it apart if asked to.

They also liked Titanic and picked it apart... same with 2009 Star Trek...

So they give a lot of problem movies passes.

My favorite Batman film is The Dark Knight Rises... I could write a novel about everything wrong with that movie, still entertaing as all hell.

the thing with the prequels, and why they got torn to shreds by Redlettermedia, is not just because it had problems, but because they failed to entertain on every level.

I also felt that they were too kind on the film. They would mention the problems but then give it a pass. On no other film would they let that fly.

Oh dear,....there is no hope

J

I checked this out because it was recommended to me on Youtube (and because, some years back, someone told me their initial impression of me was, before meeting me, akin to Mr. Plinkett) and I've never really sat through a Red Letter Media review before.

Some bits made me laugh but, ****** Almighty, the video was way too long just to hear them say "It was okay; we liked it" was a bit anti-climatic for me. I sat through 13 minutes of them beating a dead horse, going through critical analyses of things tangentially related (but making the point about the dark times ahead of an unending onslaught of this nonsense, which I greatly agree with), until reaching the end of the video where it was the equivalence of the sentence "I know it's evil, but as long as it's convenient and recognizable, I'm okay''. It's a bit of a damp squib for me; I thought they were setting up to turn their critical eye on the new film given all the material that made 2/3's of the video.

Liking something is fine but these guys committed this sin of recent trend of establishing a basis for critique and then not following through. They recognized genuine flaws early, then picked the most petty things out when it came to the actual review. Even their pitch at restructuring the story of the movie was problematic because it still didn't improve from their earlier criticisms about it being a flaccid reboot!

I get that this isn't supposed be serious, it's fun while making some strong points, but it's inconsistency I can't stand. Especially when it had something going for it.

Incidentally, we had a housewarming at our new place yesterday and two 8 year old boys went down to the basement, pulled out my 6 film blu ray boxed set and watched...the Phantom menace

Don't let child welfare find out you did such a heinous thing!

PoopaPapaPalps, a Mr Plinket review is a piece of entertainment in and of itself. Like a movie, you see it, forget about your own crappy life for an hour or two and either like it or you don't. They usually bring up valid points, but in the end, nothing has changed and you still have to go back to your crappy life (just like at the end of a movie).

How nebulous; that reasoning can be applied to anything! A card game with the guys is an escape from my crappy life but when the poker game we're playing turns into Uno towards the end, then I have to question the reason why. It's structure that I'm more concerned with, entertainment or no.

How nebulous; that reasoning can be applied to anything! A card game with the guys is an escape from my crappy life but when the poker game we're playing turns into Uno towards the end, then I have to question the reason why. It's structure that I'm more concerned with, entertainment or no.

I'm an avid fan, and even I was a little "okay he's just gonna talk Star Wars and not really get into TFA so I'm a little bored"...

IF you haven't seen the one that started it all, the Phantom Menace Review, I highly reccomend watching.

Insanely entertaining, and a great breakdown on story.

Re: Redlettermedia appreciation thread! - Gremlins Commentary!

I know what I'm doing this weekend... or tonight... SOON....

Gremlins Commentary!

These guys always have entertaining commentaries...

And as we're entering Christmas, I got a buttload of vids of theirs ready to go....

If you haven't watched the review of the Star Wars Holiday Special, check it out.

The voice in that TPM commetary.... I can't stand it....

The voice in that TPM commetary.... I can't stand it....

Ah But that was a "Plinkett Review"... which is a character....

They do these commentaries as themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

It's funny to me that I can sit and listen to these guys watch a movie for 2 hours, but I can't get 10 minutes into a Collider.com commentary without wanting to chew my own ears off.

Was hilarious watching Mike get drunk on a bunch of Dan Akroyd vodka in the Ghostbusters'16 review.

26:55 - 27:40.....:lol:lol:lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back