AKIRA power bike-based electric bike build

Hi Guys, sorry for the long time, I have a quick update!! the motor arrived today, yay! it's a 96v brushless motor, so Saturday I'll be test fitting it on the chassis, hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures!

UPDATE! Hi guys, I know I mentioned the pictures for last week, but finally they are here!!:
20170708_165858.jpg20170708_162851.jpg

You can see the chassis with some modifications to accommodate the rear shock absorber, and the swing arm that will insert bellow that rear bar, and the motor (which arrived on the 29th yay!) is prominently displayed in its place, it is not the final place, but it will be slightly towards the back and a bit elevated, the tires is just there to give a sense of "where we are going". Stay tuned!

I'm a huge fan of Akira, as well as Kaneda's bike, so I'm really excited to see your finished build. In the meantime, I thought I'd post a link to this: https://youtu.be/znavw4akfoY
It's the trailer for the movie Ready Player One. It's based off of a book by Ernest Cline, and the story is like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory meets virtual reality. Anyway, I'm posting it here because starting at 2:06, you can clearly see a character riding Kaneda's bike. I sincerely doubt that they actually built a bike, it's most likely entirely CGI, but it's still exciting to see it show up in another movie.

Hi all, just a quick update, I now have all wiring completed on my build and have been testing the ride today, the acceleration is outstanding, I have not gone flat out yet as there is simply not enough space in the ‘yard’ where I’m building it. I will have a vid soon of it in motion and hopefully a top speed. The fibreglass bodywork will come next.

Hi all, been out for a while, here's a teaser vid for my build, hope you all enjoy. https://youtu.be/SFPa8c4XFUc

Hey! Great video! I see you are going with the regular size tires and the lever-based system for the steering, how is that coming along? I know I haven't posted in a while, this build is still coming along, just haven't gotten around to posting new pictures yet, but fear not!! they ARE coming soon; and the bike WILL happen.

Update! so, first things first: what has changed? after advancing on the rear part of the chassis I found that the motor needed some free space for the belt pulleys that must be installed, and the way it was built was not gibing enough room for that belt, so, some cutting had to be done, then installing the rear swing arm also called for a place to let it swing! (hehe) here are some pictures of progress:

20180203_111629.jpg20180202_141703.jpg20180203_110059.jpg20180202_141704.jpg20180203_110348.jpg20180202_141705.jpg20180203_115759.jpg20180203_115809.jpg

and another mock-up so you can picture it:
Akira - mock-up 03-feb-2018.jpg

Hey that’s looking really good, the riding position looks very comfortable, with such a low center of gravity it improves stability, I’ve been converted to a feet forward rider now. Incoming vid of my build in testing....

Hunh. I once made a bicycle like that out of three bicycles and some angle iron. Had the same chain driven steering setup only all bicycle parts. About just as long and made just as wide turns. Nowhere near as cool or as professional looking as what you made though. Very nice.

Yeah I went with twin guide rods on ball cam joints for steering, seems responsive enough. I can turn it a lot tighter now I’ve had more practice, just took a little confidence in leaning more, can’t believe how comfortable feet forward is though.

Very cool bike.

Since this is an electric "aka green" vehicle, as an owner/manufacture, have you tired to get a grant to pay for some of the production cost?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back