Evidence of rotj in the redwood forests?

astroboy

Master Member
So I'm thinking of heading to the redwoods later in the fall for a few days and we're going to rent a car.

I would LOVE to see an endor filming location. Are there any leftover set pieces anywhere? Or do any on you know where I would find a filming location?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Supposedly they chopped down a lot of where they filmed or something it has been posted here before :unsure

Yeah I've read the entire area was slated to be logged, which is why they could go crazy shooting there. Note a couple of trees falling down on fire and being blown up during the battle.

But that doesn't jibe with the stories told shortly after production, that it was a preserve and they had to make sure every little thing was restored to the way it was before.

Both can't be true....

Perhaps both are true about different locations. "On Tuesday we're at Location A, and we can blow that up, but Thursday we move to B, and we can't break so much as a twig."

I shot a film in a preserve and there were areas we could be and areas we couldn't. We could walk through THERE, but had to get special permission to dig a small hole HERE....and over YONDER, we can't even step on. They all looked the same to us.

Smith river I think is where they filmed the bunker scene and that has been harvested Del Norte County is also where they filmed I am sure someone will post more info

don't let it discourage you. enjoy the forest in person, the sunlight that creeps thru, size of the plants and smells are INCREDABLE!! pictures don't do the tree's justice until you actually stand next to one. alil imagination and your actually on endor. its sooooo cool man, have fun!! :love

damn logging :(

Watching redbulls soccer on fox, if nothing else on.

and this drum music they have going on in the background reminded me of 'you are now a part of the tribe'
Ewok music!

The stadium announcer even sounded like the podrace announcer

don't let it discourage you. enjoy the forest in person, the sunlight that creeps thru, size of the plants and smells are INCREDABLE!! pictures don't do the tree's justice until you actually stand next to one. alil imagination and your actually on endor. its sooooo cool man, have fun!! :love

That sounds really cool. I have to add that to my list of places to visit. :thumbsup

I have actually been through there before. Years ago during the 10 years of my life when I didn't obsess over this stuff (I was really into music instead)

My buddy and I had to do a show in LA and we took the longest way possible (we're in toronto) to get there and back. The return trip involved driving right up the coast and taking the Lewis and clarke trail back

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's gorgeous. It wasn't the same spot as Endor, but I've been in Northern California redwood forest, and it's magnificent.

I believe that the production of RotJ was only permitted to film in that section of the Redwoods because it was planned to be logged anyway, so they could just go in and do what they needed to and it'll all be cleaned up by loggers after. But, after reading the replies, this is just echoing what everyone else has said.

On a personal note, I'd love to go visit the Redwoods anyway. Some of those trees are as old 500 years plus, I heard. To put that into perspective, European explorers were just starting trading routes to the New Continent when some of those trees were a sapling.

heres an interesting story. I don't recall the major details of this but I read a long time ago of a gentleman who had acquired a screen used rotj stormtrooper helmet from someone he knew who was an extra on the set. he ended up having it stolen so who knows where it actually ended up nowadays.

basically there were 2 extras in the film who were friends, one was playing a stormy and the other played a rebel trooper, after filming wrapped up they were told to hand in their costumes to be destroyed on set, but they ended up burying the helmets the night before. they were put in plastic bags first to keep the dirt out, and the location was like x steps from x tree so they could remember where they were. after the filming area was restored and trash cleanup etc about a week later the 2 guys went back to uncover the helmets. the stormy helmet sat in the guys home for some time, then was passed on to the guy that was telling the story. the end.

Don't know how it works exactly in the US, but over here, any prop of costume that was specifically created for a movie has to be destroyed afterwards. It's one of the conditions of the tax aid mechanism in place (if you use it, although it's pretty much unavoidable, since it's the a rather big financial source). I suppose it's to avoid re-using them or reselling them and make money out of it.

yeah I recall when I visited one of the studios (cant remember which) there were dismantled chunks of star trek nemesis set pieces in dumpsters. its an interesting world of screen used stuff, ewan McGregor's ep1 saber, the white frame piece from alien that resides in propstore's warehouse.. really makes screen used items worth the premium since sometimes its so hard to get them out of the props dept in the first place

Previously, studios would destroy or discard props and sets because there was no perceived value in them and so it was cheaper to just get rid of them rather than keeping them around collecting dust and taking up space. But all that has changed in the past decade or so and studios now realize that there's money to be made from this stuff they now sell this stuff off instead of just chucking it in the dumpster.

I believe that the production of RotJ was only permitted to film in that section of the Redwoods because it was planned to be logged anyway, so they could just go in and do what they needed to and it'll all be cleaned up by loggers after. But, after reading the replies, this is just echoing what everyone else has said.

On a personal note, I'd love to go visit the Redwoods anyway. Some of those trees are as old 500 years plus, I heard. To put that into perspective, European explorers were just starting trading routes to the New Continent when some of those trees were a sapling.

BAH, that's "nothing". We have in Sweden a tree which is supposed to be 9 558 years old :wacko 500 years is quite insane, nine and a half thousands years is..... I don't even have a good word for it :p

^Any time something in N. America is called old, up jumps a European to school us on what old really is. Usually it's about manmade structures---I never thought we'd be out-olded on a tree! :lol

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back