LemonHunter's Space Marine Cosplay

LemonHunter

Hey guys!

So I've already started this build at the time of posting this, but I've gathered so much inspiration from the amazing community here at TheRPF, I thought I may as well share my build here!

I've never made a cosplay before. Well, nothing big or accurate. I've made a Riddler and a punk-style Luigi to go to some conventions, but that's all. Never worked with foam before, never worked with PEP files. So why not jump in the deep end!

I've decided to build a Space Marine. I'm a huge fan of the series and still play the original Dawn of War game with my friends. With Dawn of War 3 coming out next year I thought may as well get an awesome Space Marine to stomp around at the cons!

The progress so far:
space marine wip 2-9-16.jpg
I'm putting together most of the body and main pieces so i can then rig them up and make any adjustments before getting too into the detailing work.
14333774_1210519462347057_4978814398081837111_n.jpg
Of course I couldn't help myself and started some detail work on one of the shoulders. I've started patching up the seams (will need more sanding and maybe another coat on those seams) and I've popped a big Tactical Marine arrow on it as well as some battle damage.

I started with the helmet (which I shouldn't have since it's such a hard piece) so being my first part, my technique was crappy and I'm not happy with the outcome, but I'm leaving it for now and may go back and rebuild the helmet once the other parts are built.

I'll keep this thread posted with the progress. I should be getting some ducting tube in the next week which will be the connector on the legs and arms. Hoping to finish the legs/boots off this weekend.

Thanks for taking a look :)

Last edited:
Work has continued over the weekend with more seams being filled. Tomorrow I'll be heading out and grabbing some webbing so I can start rigging the costume together.

I'm not really sure how I can do some good lightup green eyes. I've seen previous marines use Glospex, but they crashed and burned. If anyone has any recommendations/references on getting something together that won't use much space (as the helmet is not overly large) that would be appreciated! I've seen a few different ways but not sure on the best way.

More pics to come once rigging begins!

If you Need some ball joint for The shoulder lebt me know.
what will you take for The knees and Arms?

Did you use custom printed ball joints for your marine shoulders?

I'm using air conditioning ducting for the arms and legs, which will go on the back of the knees and in the gap between the thigh and cod.

Slight update! Have been filling in gaps with acrylic filler and sanding down seams. Also my ducting had finally arrived after being lost with the couriers and the seller just resending the item after being unable to track it down.
14606410_1229602670438736_1904600611724810251_n.jpg

I've got all my clips and webbing for the main rigging, just looking at the best options for attaching the shoulders. Hope to have a picture to share soon with the costume fully on!

Hey guys!

So it's been a little while since I shared anything on here for the build. Been a little occupied with work. Anyways, progress that has been made so far is majority of the build is done (missing a boot) and there is still detail work and fixing up seams, but most of the rigging is complete, which means I was finally able to try on the costume!

I learned a lot from have the costume on. I'll need to rework the ab section, still needing to add the extra height within the boots and increase the gap slightly between the shins and the thighs. I'll also be making the shoulders go up higher to reduce the overly stocky look in the torso section. Should also be getting a pair of hockey gloves soon so I can get the arms looking right.

Still lots to do, but this was a great milestone to reach! More updates coming soon.

14642329_1246276838771319_7436321655803795555_n.jpg

Looking good so far[emoji1303][emoji1303] how long has it taken you to get to that point ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good so far[emoji1303][emoji1303] how long has it taken you to get to that point ??

It had taken me quite a few days work to get to the bottom picture. Being my first foam build, there was a lot of trial and error in the cutting and gluing of the foam (as you can see by the terrible quality of my helmet... I'll be remaking that). Also due to the sheer size of the costume and amount of foam needed, it was quite tedious and took a long time.

I haven't been able to source large sheets of EVA in my area for a good price, so these are made of the floor tiles which are roughly 60cm x 60cm each, so while some of the pep files I was using required larger pieces, I had to cut each piece into smaller pieces and glue them back together.

More progress has been made since and I shall be sharing some more snaps in the coming days :)

Update time!

Changes I've made since my last pictures are;
-I've raised the shoulders so they sit higher
-I've raised the torso as well so it sits higher
-I've added a few cm's in the gap between the thighs and the shins
-Both boots have been made and have shoes attached inside so I can easily wear and walk around. They also add around 3-4 inches to my height

Overall I'm much happier with the proportions of the suit now and I no longer look too stocky. Boosting the torso up has created more pain with where it sits on my shoulders, so extra comfort in that area is something I will be investigating and improving.

15195810_1277804355618567_3000113899428085764_o.jpg
15195978_1277804395618563_4335132732484828547_o.jpg

It's been a while, so here is an update!

Things that have changed, I've added internal supports inside the torso to stop it losing shape under the weight of my arms/the shoulders. New ab section that covers some gaps that were previously visible. New collar. Added some knee joints to have the legs more stable and moving as a knee would. Plus some detail here and there. Also have started making a chainsword, but I forgot to grab a picture with it while I was suited up :(

17523432_1441541055911562_6229388697316972603_n.jpg
17634541_1441541179244883_3317278547257319453_n.jpg
17757640_1441541142578220_6400132171233550247_n.jpg

I've gone ahead and painted one of my shoulders to completion before moving forward with everything else to make sure my sealing works well. And I must say it works a charm! I did 2 coats of watered down PVA then 1 coat of brush on rubber seal. The paint isn't coming off easily (I test painted on a small piece and I couldn't peel, scratch of rip the paint off at all!).

Happy with how the paint came out, used an airbrush. I'm not happy with my seam work, but I think that gets put down to me being very inexperienced with foam. Next costume will be better! It's all a learning experience.

blood raven shoulder painted.jpg

Been super quiet on here. Have made great progress so far though! I'm planning on wearing it the first time this coming weekend at a local convention called AVCon. What's missing from these pictures is the backpack (currently being painted) as well as purity seals (which are almost finished and will be attached). It's been such a learning experience and although some times it got super on my nerves, it's been a blast making this cosplay. Can't wait until everything is done and I can share some pictures from the convention!

20170713_221107.jpg
20170713_221056.jpg

So the convention over the weekend was great! It was great to finally stomp the floor in my first foam build. Got lots of great compliments. It made me feel great and I can't wait to get started on the next build! More pictures will come (there are some coming in soon from professional photographers at the event which will look amazing!) but I won't keep spamming bumping this thread, so I'll be posting them up on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/lemonhunter33/ so if you want to see them, I would appreciate the likes :) shameless self plug.

20170722_140832.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back