Subscribe
    Sep 14, 2016, 1:29 AM - A Clockwork Orange Beethoven Mini-Cassette #1

Ever since I first saw A Clockwork Orange, I've been interested in getting my hands on the mini-cassette that Alex plays in his bedroom.

After doing some research, I learned that mini-cassettes have never been used as music format, and have only ever been intended for voice recording storage. The Beethoven mini-cassette seen in the film must have been a custom-made prop.

I tracked down some vintage Norelco brand blank mini-cassettes (they are identical to the mini-cassettes used in the film, unlike some other tape brands) and recreated the case cover art and tape label to be as screen-accurate as possible. And after some very meticulous and careful cutting and pasting, my replica was complete:

Mine:

Screenshot from the film:

Mine:

Screenshot from the film:

If anyone would like the 600dpi printable files for the cover art and label, please PM me your email address.
  2. Formerly KCGhostbuster RPF Premium Member Snow Builder's Avatar
    From
    Olathe, KS
    Sep 14, 2016, 7:29 AM - Re: A Clockwork Orange Beethoven Mini-Cassette #2

Nice work -you have me wanting to re-watch the movie.
    From
    Chicago, IL
    Sep 14, 2016, 8:39 AM - Re: A Clockwork Orange Beethoven Mini-Cassette #3

Nothing beats a little Ludwig Van!
    Sep 14, 2016, 11:13 AM - Re: A Clockwork Orange Beethoven Mini-Cassette #4

SquidMan said: View Post
    After doing some research, I learned that mini-cassettes have never been used as music format, and have only ever been intended for voice recording storage.

Great job replicating the graphics on the case and cassette. Microcassettes were in fact used as a music format and are almost identical to Minicassettes, although they never became popular. Around 1979 the Type IV "metal cassette" was invented, using metal tape to provide superior sound quality. A few companies thought that the new format would lend enough fidelity to the microcassette form factor to make them suitable for playing music, and a number of tapes and high end players were produced by Sony, Sanyo, Fisher, and a couple of other companies.

Commercially-released music on this format is rare, but does exist. Here are a few pictures of this obscure little medium.

Again, great project! Just to be clear, this is not intented as a criticism of your build. Just some (possibly unnecessary!) background info about how life imitated art.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	abbashebro.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	663829 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	music microcassette inside.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	663827 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sanyo_rd-xm1.preview.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	663830
    Last edited by Grey; Sep 14, 2016 at 4:39 PM.
    From
    Virginia
    Sep 14, 2016, 6:51 PM - Re: A Clockwork Orange Beethoven Mini-Cassette #5

Wow, that looks spot on. Great work on this!

Did you record any Beethoven onto it?

-Carson
    Sep 14, 2016, 7:28 PM - Re: A Clockwork Orange Beethoven Mini-Cassette #6

Grey said: View Post
    Great job replicating the graphics on the case and cassette. Microcassettes were in fact used as a music format and are almost identical to Minicassettes, although they never became popular. Around 1979 the Type IV "metal cassette" was invented, using metal tape to provide superior sound quality. A few companies thought that the new format would lend enough fidelity to the microcassette form factor to make them suitable for playing music, and a number of tapes and high end players were produced by Sony, Sanyo, Fisher, and a couple of other companies.

Commercially-released music on this format is rare, but does exist. Here are a few pictures of this obscure little medium.

Again, great project! Just to be clear, this is not intented as a criticism of your build. Just some (possibly unnecessary!) background info about how life imitated art.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	abbashebro.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	663829 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	music microcassette inside.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	663827 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sanyo_rd-xm1.preview.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	663830
    Micro-cassettes were indeed used as a music format, but mini-cassettes never were. The ones in the film are definitely mini-cassettes.

Here's a comparison of the two, just so no one gets confused which to get if they also want to make a replica:

But it is interesting background info! I wonder if A Clockwork Orange had any influence in the creation of a small cassette music format.

deadbolt said: View Post
    Wow, that looks spot on. Great work on this!

Did you record any Beethoven onto it?

-Carson
    Thanks! And no, I don't have any equipment that will record onto a mini-cassette. This will be display only, anyway.

Going to try my hand at making this tape as well sometime soon:

But since the case for the Goggly Gogol tape is never seen in the film, I'll have to improvise...
    From
    Rochester, N.Y.
    Sep 14, 2016, 9:17 PM - Re: A Clockwork Orange Beethoven Mini-Cassette #7

Very nice graphics- spot on I'd say

Neat info about that tape format, too.
    Sep 17, 2016, 9:53 PM - Re: A Clockwork Orange Beethoven Mini-Cassette #8

Here's my replica of the Goggly Gogol mini-cassette that Alex removes from his tape player before playing the Beethoven mini-cassette:

The bottom half of the cassette is never clearly seen -- Alex swipes it from the tape player so quickly that the bottom half is a blur, so I made an educated guess that the piece by Goggly Gogol is "Mass in G," since that's the #1 hit single by Goggly Gogol as seen on the charts in the record shop Alex visits. The fine print below it is replicated from actual Polydor records.

The case for the cassette is never clearly seen in the film either. This is the best view we get of the whole tape and its case, and the case is lying face down:

So, I took artistic liberties and designed a front cover of my own:

My inspiration for the cover image came from a combination of the droog's all-white outfits, the four Jesus figures that Alex has in his room, Andy Warhol's Elvis prints (since Andy Warhol did much to influence the pop-art aesthetic seen in the film, and he also made the first A Clockwork Orange film adaptation in 1965 with Vinyl), and the look of electronic music album covers of the '70s, such as ones by Kraftwerk. The original photograph is Painter's Wife [Helene Abelen] by August Sander from 1926.

If anyone would like the printable files for the cover art and label, please PM me your email address.

9. RPF Premium Member Hecubus114's Avatar
    From
    Phx, AZ
    Sep 18, 2016, 12:45 AM - Re: A Clockwork Orange Beethoven Mini-Cassette #9

Great stuff, as usual, from one of my all time favorite movies