Passport

vraho10

Hi,
I want to make a replica passport from some spy movies (Jason Bourne, James Bond... etc.) I want instructions on how to make the prop. My main problem is the cover... What is it made out of and how do you get the gold/sliver foil on their? Then about the pages... best paper? Then how to make the identification page look like it is laminated (like in real ones). And stitching for the binding of the pages... Basically I have a bunch of questions.

Thanks,
vraho10

extra-image-1123.jpg

We sell mock passports, which are full covers with blank pages here: http://www.magnoliprops.com/other-passports-mock-passport-p-494.html

If you want to make the cover yourself, there is no cheap way of doing them really accurately, but a good "close enough" option is using heat-transfer foil. This allows you to print a black design onto card stock with a laser printer or photocopier, then use a heat source (such as a laminator or even a household iron) to transfer the gold foil onto the black toner. The results aren't as good as professional embossing, but it'll work in a pinch. Here are some covers we did using this method:

extra-image-1156.jpg

extra-image-1020.jpg

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Thanks for the Tips Indy :) Heat-Foil would be my personal option1, as embossing tools and machines are not cheap at all.

I realy have troubles getting the right cover materials. That kind of stuff is sales-restricted in germany :unsure

Found a cool paper from the company Ecofibers >> paper typ ACURA, but unfortunately they are not selling to germany, nor do their european agents :(

So any tip would be helpful :D :$

Last edited:
Indy Magnoli, true. What kind paper works/looks the best for heat gold foil? And the picture of the US passport what material is that / is it professional embossing? How would I do the picture identification page look the way a real one looks. (Clear glue covering the page? Spray gloss? What!?!?)

Heat transfer foil works best on a smooth finish card, but (as you can see above) I have used it with varying results on cardstock with a linen-texture.

The US Passport replica above is coated cardstock with professional embossing.

As for the info page, best to laminate. Most passports have a stiff information page, though the US passport has a regular page with thin laminate, so a regular lamination works fine and looks good on film.

So now what about cutting the "passport" to size and regular A4 white paper or is their a better pice of paper... Laser or inkjet?

How you print and cut is up to you and the equipment available to you. Anything will get the job done for film use... the worse your prop, the further the shot needs to be. Simple! ;)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back