One time mold making

bpwmd

Looking for ideas for cheapish ways to make a one time mold. I have monster clay and im looking to make a replica of Darth nihilus mask. but I only need to make one pull from it. stuff like Smooth on silicones work great but are a PAIN to get to Juneau Alaska (no roads, shipping to Alaska is expensive shipping to Juneau is more so)

Plaster. Make your mask with fiberglass and just break the plaster mold when you think your mask is good and strong enough.

image.jpeg

This is a good book for basic old-school theater prop moldmaking & casting. Some people bag on it; but it discusses many types of moldmaking & casting. Specifically goes into plaster moldmaking.

http://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-pr...n=1558701281&pcrid=70112900112&pkw=&pmt=&plc=

For almost the first 60-70 years of filmmaking, they used plaster for almost everything. From Lon Chaney's hump in the Hunchback of Notre Dame to the original pulls of Vader's helmet to be worked on before the final molds were made.

woah that's impressive little history lesson there :)
For almost the first 60-70 years of filmmaking, they used plaster for almost everything. From Lon Chaney's hump in the Hunchback of Notre Dame to the original pulls of Vader's helmet to be worked on before the final molds were made.

ok I got it. im going to do a multi part mold (only a little harder) and lay fiberglass up in the mold (means I have to learn gel coat) and that means I can do a small run of them of them I think!

Honestly, i have no idea. I haven't come to this stage yet. However, I believe I have seen pros use gelcoat in jackets. Though I believe you can also use epoxy resin and fiberglass resin for the fiberglass jacket which is cheaper and easier to come across. Just ask your fiberglass supplier and he can provide you with both. Read up a bit on both as both have their strengths and weaknesses. But if I were you, I'd go for epoxy.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back