Large Scale TOS Enterprise Kit

Dave S

Hi Everyone. I wanted to share some pics of the prototype of my large scale Enterprise that I intend to kit (in small numbers). The model is right about 71" in length. The primary hull is laid up in 4 layers of carbon fiber that is done through a vacuum bag infusion process. The saucer you see is from the actual parts our of the mold. The rest of the parts are all casting masters that have yet to be created. The entire hull will be carbon fiber including the nacelles. It will be quite light for its size but but very rigid and stable. all of the detail components will be either cast resin parts or in some cases 3D printed such as the bridge and shuttle bay. IMG_0331.JPGIMG_0340.JPGIMG_3118.JPGIMG_3109.JPGIMG_3111.JPG

Hi Everyone. I wanted to share some pics of the prototype of my large scale Enterprise that I intend to kit (in small numbers). The model is right about 71" in length. The primary hull is laid up in 4 layers of carbon fiber that is done through a vacuum bag infusion process. The saucer you see is from the actual parts our of the mold. The rest of the parts are all casting masters that have yet to be created. The entire hull will be carbon fiber including the nacelles. It will be quite light for its size but but very rigid and stable. all of the detail components will be either cast resin parts or in some cases 3D printed such as the bridge and shuttle bay.View attachment 663706View attachment 663707View attachment 663708View attachment 663709View attachment 663710

OMG.
Beautiful job.
How much sir?

:)Spockboy

Thank you! I'm not sure about cost yet. I still have much of the molding and casting to do and I need to outsource some things like lighting kits, markings or paint masks and acid etched parts as well. Basically I still need to get a better idea of what my own costs will be. I am not even going to consider how much time I already have in it....

Thank you! I'm not sure about cost yet. I still have much of the molding and casting to do and I need to outsource some things like lighting kits, markings or paint masks and acid etched parts as well. Basically I still need to get a better idea of what my own costs will be. I am not even going to consider how much time I already have in it....

Sounds great!
It really looks fantastic.
I've been looking at the Enterprise for so damn long now, that I can (as I am sure a lot of people here can) instantly tell whether or not it is accurate.
Looks perfect.

:)Spockboy

Last edited:
That is gorgeous! It's great to have another option for a large scale Enterprise. I soooo want to have one that scale some day. Are those grid lines I see?!! Very "Trials and Tribble-ations" nailing it to the Jein model. I remember seeing one of the Jein replicas at the Viacom store in Chicago years ago.

Outstanding work, sir!

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. I know it's not perfect, but like someone once said," the best documentation always shows up when the model is finished" I know some will hate me for it, but I did do some understated grid lines. With a model this large, it felt just has to have some sort of detail on it! These can be easily filled by the purist. I was also thinking of how difficult it will be to mark these properly without an elaborate jig. I'm sure that now the Smithsonian has finished its restoration some other inaccuracies will show up, but hey it's a 6 foot Enterprise!!! Funny thing about this project, I spent months digital modeling everything and was worried it wasn't going to be big and impressive enough. When you see the pictures it still doesn't relay how imposing this model really is... I hope whoever buys them realizes the amount of space it's going to occupy!!

Oh and for those interested, I created the patterns for the upper and lower saucer molds using the plaster and rotating template technique like they did for the original. Not for purism although that's a bonus, but because that still is the best way to make them!!!

Wow! Quite the beast you have there! Looking very good and very sturdy, using carbon fiber is an excellent idea.

That looks gorgeous. Those kitchen worktop shots definitely suggest the impact and presence this model must have in person. Your manufacturing approach is also very impressive and indicates this will be a real quality kit.

What sort of timescale are you on to produce the kit... so I can decide which body part/s I need to sell in preparation for getting one?

Nick

OMG, that is beautiful.

Originally I wasn't too fond of TOS Enterprise but it has been growing on me over the past few years. Now I see this and wish I could afford it, even without know the final cost. But the size is great
.BIG!

That looks gorgeous. Those kitchen worktop shots definitely suggest the impact and presence this model must have in person. Your manufacturing approach is also very impressive and indicates this will be a real quality kit.

Agreed.
It will be an impressive kit.

:)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back