Stephen King's IT (2017) (Post-release)

Vee

The new remake was shot in a couple of small towns nearby. The IT house was built in Oshawa and is just a fascade. Shooting was done over a few days and I was able to get a couple shots of the house before they took it down after filming. The film is set to be released in September 2017.

IT House HDRLR.jpg

Re: New Remake of Stephen King's book IT.

The way the thread is titled, I thought you meant they were re-writing the original book or something.

The book was made into a movie back in the 80s with Tim Curry playing the evil clown. Ive never seen the movie.

The kid who plays Mike in "Stranger Things" is the star of this one, I believe.

Tim Curry is the only good thing in it. That movie has more flashbacks than Woodstock.

the book was pretty much set up that way as well...

I actually like the movie... it's terrible, but there are some great moments that give it a pass.

For every good film or tv adaptation of a King story there are a dozen that aren't.There are so many misfires of tales that work on the page, but are just terrible on the screen. Though the ones that do make the grade are excellent.
"The Shawshank Redemption", "The Green Mile", and "The Dead Zone" are my personal favorites. 95% of "The Mist" would have made that list except for that terrible ending, which I loathed. They are also doing a ten part TV series of that for release next year so it seems a few King stories are getting a remake which, on the back of the success of King clonealike "Stranger Things" is quite pleasing.

I'm sick of remakes/reboots. I've seen the original movie and it wasn't great but it was okay, I thought Tim Curry did a great job as Pennywise. A lot of King's books are very hard to bring to the screen because so much of what scare's the hell out of you is your own imagination and what the put on the screen usually pales in comparison. The other problem is some directors think they need to put tons of gore into a movie to scare people when if it is done correctly you don't need all of that.

To be fair, the original TV film is, in my opinion, about as good an adaptation of his work as you could expect, at least at the level of production you were dealing with. 1990s TV movies -- even miniseries events -- still did not have the budgets of films or TV shows of the "Peak Television" era in which we find ourselves currently.

And, having read the book, once again, the man does NOT know how to write a damn ending. The final confrontation with IT in the book...doesn't make sense. Like, at all. The "Ritual of Chud" is this psychic battle where you stick your tongues out at each other so that they overlap, each bite down, and then (if memory serves) tell jokes or riddles until the other laughs. Whoever laughs or is stumped by a riddle loses.

Now, you tell me: how the hell are you gonna translate that into compelling cinematic drama?

And, of course, then there's the incredibly extended denouement that makes Return of the King's 18 endings seem brief by comparison.

King has similar issues with Needful Things and -- in his absolutely worst example -- The Stand, which involves a LITERAL Deus Ex Machina.

King does AMAZING world building and creates really compelling characters. He has an incredibly distinct voice as a writer. But he does not know how to write a f-ing ending.

Im not a big King fan. But I did enjoy his prison movies.....Shawshank and Green Mile. Except for the powers of the big guy in Green Mile, they werent so much supernatural as just well written stories. Not a fan at all of his spooky stories. As Solo4114 says, he just doesnt know how to end his stories in a satisfying way. Shame. But for those of you who will go to see the remake I just thought you might like to see the house. The grass, the sunflowers, the old rickety fence and the house looked like they had been abandoned 25 years ago. Yet they all were built recently. The house was modular and came apart and shipped back when they finished. Pretty slick stuff.

King does a hell of better job at finishing stuff than JJ. JJ couldn't write the ending to Cherrios commercial. He would Likley just cut n paste and older 70/80's commercial and call it new.

anyway, the "IT" TV movie wasn't bad for what it was. Curry knocked it out of the park, I guess it was just funnier / weird seeing Judge Harry T Stone, John boy, Jack tripper, never ending story kid, Ginger Snap girl and Seth green fighting a clown

I liked the original tv version but i agree, king books are usually good right until the end and that's where they always let you down for some reason.

That's a picture you took? Looks like a painting with all the vibrant colors. Got anymore?

That's a picture you took? Looks like a painting with all the vibrant colors. Got anymore?

I was catching the sunrise. The colors were a little exaggerated in trying to convey the spookiness of the place. Here is a different view. Couldnt stay long as the security guys were giving us a hassle since the crew was coming back soon for more filming.

Attachments

• IT House HDRLRSepia.jpg
    IT House HDRLRSepia.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 137
  • ITHouse HDR3LR.jpg
    ITHouse HDR3LR.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 156

If you've read the book, you know there's a sequence just after the "climax" (heh heh heh) that every person knows is UNTOUCHABLE for film, and it's kinda crazy that more people don't ask Stephen King about it in every interview... ask like "WTF MAN?!?!"

It's just that weird.

If you've read the book, you know there's a sequence just after the "climax" (heh heh heh) that every person knows is UNTOUCHABLE for film, and it's kinda crazy that more people don't ask Stephen King about it in every interview... ask like "WTF MAN?!?!"

It's just that weird.

If this is going to be on cable, which I have no idea one way or another, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them address it in some way.

Yea...reading that was a bit much.

There was actually a lot of stuff in the book that I felt that way about that they did not include in the film. But then again there were some things that I wished they had included. Go figure.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back