Just Another DeAgostini Falcon (FINISHED)

Re: Just Another DeAgostini Falcon

These are the engines from the Falcon in Battlefront.

Capture08_zps8gaw1com.jpg

Got everything drawn up and worked out, just going to make it out of styrene, dont have the skills or tools to cast the parts myself.

Instead of trying to make one large engine decided to make it 3 sections like the 'Thrust Vector Plates', marked in red. Will probably modify the LED light housing and use it as the bones of a light box.

guide.jpg falcon engine.jpg

Will construct this between issues while I have nothing to do, also bought a cheap ($18) canopy from shapeways.

Congratulations vj , she’s certainly a stunner mate !

I’m sorry but I’ve gotta admit that , from a purely selfish point of view , I was hoping to see more ‘ gradual ‘ updates of your build prior to this , there being so much more to learn , ‘ borrow ‘ and be inspired by ! ... but , what you’ve shared during previous posts have been really appreciated ;)

See from #2 pic , you built your own engine grill after all - is it still based on the Falcon from Battlefront , and was is difficult to achieve / how’d you build it / what did you use ? ... Did you end up installing landing / warning lights on the underside ? ... that’s not the stand you were planning to go with is it ? ... how’d you end up painting her ? ... did you plan to install the missing greeblies ? ... So many questions needing answered on your thread !! ..... :lol

If /when you’ve more time or the inclination , maybe you’ll consider posting some WIP pics if taken , or just more finished photos ... ?

Anyhoo , thanks for sharing again and looking forward to future builds !

Best regards ,

:cheersGed

Last edited:
Hey Ged

Sorry, but I stopped taking WIP shots. I have quickly took some shots of the engine for you, quite a lot of planning and work went into this but well worth the effort for the result. For the engine grill, my plan of attack didn't deviate much from post#63.

I kept the original mounting box for the original led's so that they could still be screwed in place, only shaved off the lip to make the surface flat which also gave me more room for 3 strips of lights. The bottom and top strips are blue while the middle one is white to give that intense white glow with a diffused blue outer glow.

20180221_175722.jpg 20180221_175744.jpg

The best solution I found for diffusing the engine led's was I bought some light blue tissue paper from Spotlight and then got it Laminated which makes it more rigid but still keeping the opacity intact. This did how ever make the engines blue whether the lights were on or off, I wanted them to appear white while the lights were off, to fix this I bought a 60gsm un-ruled notepad from office works for a couple of bucks which worked a treat. I also made some flat strips out of styrene for the outside of the engine grill just to bring the outside down to the same width as the rest of the model.

20180221_175215.jpg 20180221_175414.jpg 20180221_180103.jpg

I will try and organise some beauty shots.

Cheers

Very nice, I started one of these about a year ago but ended up selling my subscription because I just didn't have the time. I see you can buy the whole kit now so I'm tempted......

Hey vj ,

Thanks for your detailed response and pics regarding the engine/lighting/grill . I really appreciate the work/time that must’ve gone into making the grill itself - love your take on it .
Would you consider sharing the design/how to details - especially on those ‘ angled ‘ vertical dividers , all scratched - were they difficult to do ?
The additional ‘ plates ‘ on top of the manoeuvring ‘ flaps ‘ enhances the overall look too ! . I’ve got something similar in mind - adding subtle details to those areas as well .

One last question please regarding your finished paint work , IIRC you started off using the ‘ oil paint ‘ on/off technique ( same ) , I’m curious if that’s the only one you’ve used throughout the build , no others in finishing ?

Looking forward to more ‘ beauty shots ‘ , and thanks for taking the time to share .

Hey Ged

The Engine detail wasn't difficult to do, just time consuming, but well worth the effort. Hope the following helps (and makes sense).

falcon engine.jpg

Re : The paint work. I used the oil technique, let it set for 10mins and then wiped the excess off, once dried I then used extra fine steel wool to rub of the excess in the direction of where the desired effect would look natural. Painted the individual discoloured panels (red,greys and dark greys). Then using masking tape and Tamiya weathering kits some discolouration and the majority of the "oil" streaks, as a handy hint I used a Black china pencil that I got at Jacksons in Balcatta and a very good pencil sharpener to get extremely fine oil streaks. I did use my airbrush for the main engine streaks.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to post the list of materials for the Engine Detail.

Evergreen White Styrene Strip 0.5mm x1.0mm (.02"x.04") 10pcs Length: 35cm (14") = Grill

Evergreen White Styrene Strip 0.5mm x 2.5mm (.02"x.10") 10pcs Length: 35cm (14") = Grill, End capping for Large Baffles (blue)

Plus Model #073 Styrene Sheet - Thickness 1.0mm (2 Sheets) = Large Baffles (blue)

Evergreen White Styrene Strip 3.2mmx4.0mm (.125"x.156") 6pcs Length: 35cm (14") = Small Baffles (red), Curved Middle Support (green)

Thanks so much for the detailed information regarding your engine grill make up . Been eyeing the Paragraphix and Shapeways ones - they look good , but if I can save some money by scratching my own , then the saved dosh can be used for something I can’t attempt .
Not saying the grill will be easy should I try ... you know what I mean !:facepalm

Thanks again and hava good weekend !

Last edited:
She really is exquisitely finished vj , and these photos of her are pretty awesome too !:p
Another fine example of what can be accomplished with the oil paint method , along with time , skill and talent !
You’d mentioned using a black china pencil ( great tip ) and Tamiya weathering kits , after said base coat - did you seal that before applying the streaks and areas of discolouration ? , and what ( if any ) top sealing coat did you use ?
Finally ( I know I keep saying that ! ) , what”s the transparency material used in the cockpit , it’s not the supplied ‘ glass ‘ is it ?

Thanks for sharing , helping and tips along the way , and , Congratulations on a beautiful Falcon once again :thumbsup

Last edited:
Thanks Ged.

I did seal my paint job using a matt spray that I also got from Jacksons. Also used an eraser after discolouring with the pastels, depending on the sharpness of the corner you can get some nice varying size and tone grime streaks. Re the cockpit glass its just Evergreen clear styrene sheet 0.13mm.

I'am eventually going to get the Photo Etched Koolshade exhaust vents, when I can afford it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back