Hi there and my Apollo A7L glove build

Daszer

Hi alll - I've been a fan of the forum for a while and thought I'd finally introduce myself and make a post about a rebuild of an Apollo A7L glove that I've undertaken.

First a little about myself though - I am a freelance primary teacher here in the UK, delivering science workshops to schools. One of my workshops involves me visiting schools in an Apollo A7L replica to teach the kids about the space race and space science in general. I purchased a suit from one of the usual US suppliers for the purpose a couple of years back for around $1500, which is good for the age range I am working with (ages 5-11) but the space geek in me has been looking to improve it ever since.

That said, although I am pretty handy at making most things I don't have the tools or resources to get to a high prop standard, so tend to go for the best I can do within my limitations in order to provide a good tool for teaching the pupils. So, onto the build.

The reason I chose the glove is that I managed to get Buzz Aldrin to sign a piece of cloth for me a couple of years ago that I fix to my current glove for kids to wear and have their picture with - however, it is pretty much the poorest part of the suit, made of ironing board grey fabric and basically a pair of rubber washing up gloves. Ever since I have been looking to improve the gloves to make a better 'frame' for the signature. Below is a pic of Buzz signing it so you can see what I mean.

buzz signing glove montage.jpg

I thought I'd start with the fingertips so after a lot of research (and some great tips from other forum builds) I managed to source some rounded silicon plugs that are almost exactly the same 32mm size as the real fingertips as shown below in this museum pic with the plugs alongside (I bought the blue version). As an ex sword fencer, I also realised that the best match for the 'Chromel R' metalised covering was a sword fencing lame, which for the uninitiated is a conductive jacket worn over fencing whites.

A19730041003D1.jpgs-l500.jpg

The next problem was the colour of the tips and after a little more searching I went for the plastidip method that I've seen used on a couple of previous builds. I made little sticks and a stand for the plastidip to set on and they came out ok with a pretty good colour match, using the make your own colour set which cost around £34 here in the UK.

20160907_202700.jpg

When it came to the overall glove size, this was a real problem as there doesn't seem to be a size spec available anywhere, especially for the length of the fingers etc. so using a photo that the very kind 2storyprops had uploaded showing the glove with a 6.5" ruler alongside the width I used photoshop to get some approx. sizes for final assembly. I am aware that due to perspective and bends in the ref pictures I won't get a spot on scale but at least it's a working idea of sizes for me to run with. This is an official photo with some of the rulers overlaid:

armstrong back best for sizes.jpg

All that said, the photos show the stage I am at now, having made finger tubes ready for a wrap around cover. I'm not too bad at sewing so realised that the best way to assemble it is to sew the fingers together then put these in this cover.

20160909_191048.jpg20160909_190016.jpg20160909_191053.jpg

I will post other pictures as it progresses as soon as I have them ready and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Darren

Attachments

• evglove4b.jpg
    evglove4b.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 191
  • A19730041002d.jpg
    A19730041002d.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 194
  • 20160907_202723.jpg
    20160907_202723.jpg
    570.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 20160907_202703.jpg
    20160907_202703.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 154
Hi Lear60man - I'm going to go for white denim/cotton drill as the rest of the base suit is made from that and it would look out of place if I used anything else. I have experimented though with bonding some of the cotton to a nylon ripstop top layer and visually it's a 90% match for the real material if I was ever to go down the route of remaking the whole suit. I meant to say I'm also going to darken and weather the metal covering too to match up with the original.

Hi all - just an update for anyone interested as I have now finished the gloves. They were only ever intended as a teaching school for primary (elementary) children to learn from so I didn't go whole hog with the realism and used some artistic licence. Saying that they still costs a fortune in materials and time to make! That said, here are the finished pictures so let me know what you think. Just a note on the fingertips - this was before the big proper tips were applied so you are looking at the rubbish ones that lie underneath them before they've been fitted. If anyone is interested in seeing them with the tips let me know and I'll take a new pic.
20170829_214418.jpg20170829_214626.jpg20170829_214628.jpg20170830_150728.jpg

Hi all - just an update for anyone interested as I have now finished the gloves. They were only ever intended as a teaching school for primary (elementary) children to learn from so I didn't go whole hog with the realism and used some artistic licence. Saying that they still costs a fortune in materials and time to make! That said, here are the finished pictures so let me know what you think. Just a note on the fingertips - this was before the big proper tips were applied so you are looking at the rubbish ones that lie underneath them before they've been fitted. If anyone is interested in seeing them with the tips let me know and I'll take a new pic.
View attachment 797529View attachment 797530View attachment 797531View attachment 797532

Very cool. I'm definitely interested to see the final version with the newer silicon tips. If you get the chance to take new pictures, I'd love to see them!

Extremely amazing, love your work. I think you perfectly created that space gloves for children aged 5-11, not so much big in size and not so much small in size. Kindly upload the new picture as I want to see them with the tips.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back