Dragoncon 2017

The Wifey and I will be going to Dragon con this year! What are the best hotels to get for the weekend? It's one of the cons we've always wanted to go to but haven't yet.

First of all I would like to start and say "congratulations" that your planing on attending Dragoncon. I will warn you that once you start it's just like a drug that you can not stop. That being said this year will be my 5 year in a row attending. I personally have stayed 30 miles form the con, 15 miles from the con and 2 times at the main host hotel the Marriott. For one you have price, the closer you stay the more money it's going to cost for a room, most rooms are sold out. If you stay close or even at the hotel you don't have to worry about a lot of things, but you spend more money on the hotel, and less on other things. Next you have to figure how many days are you attending. Even though "Dragoncon" doesn't start till Friday, a lot of us get there on wed or Thursday but beat the rush, and now there are so many people getting their early, it's almost like added an additional day to the con. On the average most people get there on Thursday and leave on Monday or Tuesday. Most of the host hotels and places near by sell out as soon as they are available. I can give you all the info you need just depends on the details of what your looking for, Marriott was 1300 for 5 nights, but another hotel 15 miles away was 500.

On a side note, with this being your very first Dragoncon going I would like to give you this gift of information. Watch this video, it is a little long, but totally worth watching every second of it. It's an old video but a lot of the tips and tricks they tell you, you can use at any time...let me know if you need any other advise, need be you can always PM me...

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all I would like to start and say "congratulations" that your planing on attending Dragoncon. I will warn you that once you start it's just like a drug that you can not stop. That being said this year will be my 5 year in a row attending. I personally have stayed 30 miles form the con, 15 miles from the con and 2 times at the main host hotel the Marriott. For one you have price, the closer you stay the more money it's going to cost for a room, most rooms are sold out. If you stay close or even at the hotel you don't have to worry about a lot of things, but you spend more money on the hotel, and less on other things. Next you have to figure how many days are you attending. Even though "Dragoncon" doesn't start till Friday, a lot of us get there on wed or Thursday but beat the rush, and now there are so many people getting their early, it's almost like added an additional day to the con. On the average most people get there on Thursday and leave on Monday or Tuesday. Most of the host hotels and places near by sell out as soon as they are available. I can give you all the info you need just depends on the details of what your looking for, Marriott was 1300 for 5 nights, but another hotel 15 miles away was 500.

On a side note, with this being your very first Dragoncon going I would like to give you this gift of information. Watch this video, it is a little long, but totally worth watching every second of it. It's an old video but a lot of the tips and tricks they tell you, you can use at any time...let me know if you need any other advise, need be you can always PM me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro1S2nhQLf4&t=580s

So the Marriott is the main one. Cool I wasn't sure. And we are big Con attendees. We go to Mega con and Tampa Con every year. But we've been wanting to go to the larger ones for a few years and now that I'm done with the Military we can so very much looking forward to it.

We we like to stay as close as possible. With Megacon we get there a day early and with the hotel being attached to the convention center it makes it so much easier.

Any idea when the hotels will become available for Dragon con?

Thanks for the info!

The "bad" news is that a lot of them have already been made available and have sold their room allotment. The "good" news is that, as the year progresses, the hotels release more blocks of rooms. Your best bet is to follow this facebook group as it is updated regularly with hotel/room availability. It will also be a good source of folks trying to get rid of rooms/reservations they can no longer use.

The size and popularity of D*C means that it's a bit more difficult to get a host hotel room, but it's not impossible. Just more work than some other cons. May the odds be ever in your favor.

- - - Updated - - -

And I will be attending the meet-up. :)

So the Marriott is the main one. Cool I wasn't sure. And we are big Con attendees. We go to Mega con and Tampa Con every year. But we've been wanting to go to the larger ones for a few years and now that I'm done with the Military we can so very much looking forward to it.

We we like to stay as close as possible. With Megacon we get there a day early and with the hotel being attached to the convention center it makes it so much easier.

Thanks for the info!

I will be attending Megacon this year, you could always meet up with me and I can give you more info if you like. Most the hotels started to become available right after the con ended from Sept-Oct, by then most were sold out. Now you have to wait for people to transfer rooms of more blocks to open up.

There are 5 main hotels. Marriott being the main one. Each hotel has different things going on. Here's a list of the hotels and I also posted some pics for reference.

Host Hotels:

Marriott
Hilton
Hyatt
Westin
Sheraton

maps.jpgky6zc.jpg

Overflow Hotels:

http://dragoncon.org/?q=hotels_overflow

Downtown Hotels:

Midtown Hotels:

maps.jpg

ky6zc.jpg

By now all of the host hotels are sold out. I think the Marriott marquee is the best because roof it's central location although I keep trying to get a room at the Hyatt just to see. The ritz Carlton is only a couple blocks away from the center of the con. It's pricey but really nice. I've stayed there when I missed the host hotel dash. There are about 6 other hotels within walking distance. Check the dcon web site for a list of overflow hotels and rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Wifey and I will be going to Dragon con this year! What are the best hotels to get for the weekend? It's one of the cons we've always wanted to go to but haven't yet.
hey, im sorry it took me a while to get around to checking the board but i have slots open at the hyatt if you are cool with rooming with MatrixSpoon. 300 dollars each slot, 100 deposit sue up front, remaining 200 due by August First 2017. also everyone covers their own parking so if you want to park at the hotel i will need that money also paid by august first as well. If you wish to self pay, they may send you offsite to do so as they were last year.

So in the past years we have made custom RPF Dragoncon badges for everyone. Myself and Helpfulnerd have put out our own money to purchase the badge holders and print the badges and design them. We did this out of our own love for meeting people and fandom and bringing people together. This will be our 4th meetup. And after 3 previous meetups, it's starting to cost us. Especially when people say there attending and they don't show.

I would personally like to apologize to any of the people that sent a photo and didn't get a badge last year. This is going to be changing this year, and you can hold me accountable to that. I will be handling everything myself this year.

If you would like a custom personal RPF Dragoncon badge this year, we are asking for a personal donation of $2.00 per badge. This will cover the cost of the badge holder, the design process, and the printing time it takes to make them. This donation can be given at the event. As always, if you are unable to attend the event, please let us know and we will take your name off the event list.

I personally take a lot of my time and effort to try and get this event set up. So everyone has a good time as well as having a good attendance. I also work on having a photographer on site as well, so we can all have memories of the event.

Please reply if you are OK with this change, we would like to know everyone's feelings on this. Please feel free to give any opinions you may have. We thank you very much for your understanding.

Thank you in advance

~Matrixspoon~

Last edited:
Reminder we are having a meet up, if your name is not on this list, and you plan on attending the meet let us know that you are going to be attending...

Simply say: "I'm attending the meetup".

If things change and your unable to attend just send me a message to let me know to remove your name off the attending list...thanks...

Attendees:
Inquisitor Pergrinus - Avatar
JamesBryan - Avatar

max headroom - Avatar
Parkersandquinn - Avatar

Ok work has official started on our new cosplay for d-con. My sewing machine is back from the shop for a tune-up. Started making new molds for some armor and have found all the pieces for Stephanie's new costume. Only 5.5 months to go. Lots off work to be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back