Dragoncon 2017

DragonCon badge for 2017 is now $90 bucks. I gotta pay for my mine before it goes up again.

Dear clients,

Please pay your invoices in a timely fashion.

Thanks
Joshua

I always plan on staying at the Marriott, that's the main hotel for me. This way I can always walk (stagger) back to my room when needed. some of the other hotels like Hyatt, sheraton and Hilton are taking reservations now I believe. I don't know their availability but usually there's a huge line when we get there for people booking their stay for the next year.

For those of you that have stayed in a host hotel I'm looking for some info.

I plan on getting a room for next year. I have to, taking Uber back and forth got really old this year. Had a couple odd encounters with Uber drivers this year, nothing major but things like "what is this weird ****?" when getting in the car...and too tired / drunk to explain the awesome that is DC. I just want to be able to go to the room when I'm tired, need a snack or when the anxiety sets in.

So I'm wondering what hotels have you stayed in, what hotel makes you pay the entire stay upfront, and what hotels allow for just a deposit. I'd prefer to book with just a deposit.

I definitely prefer a host hotel to a nearby hotel

I'm setting the goal since Oct is around the corner and I think Marriott is about to open rooms.

Help me understand how this all works. I want to be prepared. And at least try to get a room.

- - - Updated - - -

I did notice that lower levels of the Marriott where ok in general.

So I'm wondering what hotels have you stayed in, what hotel makes you pay the entire stay upfront, and what hotels allow for just a deposit. I'd prefer to book with just a deposit.

I definitely prefer a host hotel to a nearby hotel

I'm setting the goal since Oct is around the corner and I think Marriott is about to open rooms.

Help me understand how this all works. I want to be prepared. And at least try to get a room.

I'd join this FB group first: https://www.facebook.com/DragonConHotelConnection/ - they do regular updates on room availability.

Each hotel has a different process for reserving rooms. I know a couple of them (Hilton & Hyatt and maybe Sheraton?) do the voucher system where, if you have a room reservation currently, you can reserve a room for next year's DC ahead of time and not play the Hotel Reservation Hunger Games ("May Passkey be ever in your favor"). I stayed in the Marriott my first year, but have been at the Hilton subsequent years b/c I got tired of the elevator situation quickly. And, as a wise man once said, "I'm too old for that ****e."

Not sure which ones require the full payment up front. I know the HIlton doesn't - they just bill one room night as a deposit.

Good luck!

Other things to consider... Marriott has probably the best elevator availability of the three biggies. The Hyatt's main tower is notorious for never having an elevator/one with room on it. If you go for the Hyatt, I'd recommend the International Tower, if you can. I'm not a fan of the Hilton or Marriott, or the main tower of the Hyatt, because of my vertigo. Glass elevators and I don't get along tremendously well.

I tend to not be a drinker in general, and have never been drunk in my life, so such factors aren't a concern for me. I usually stay at one of the hotels only a few blocks away, as the walk isn't a killer, even in costume, and it's close enough that I don't get (many) odd looks. I'd like to stay in one of the host hotels -- my first pick would be th eHyatt's International Tower, but price and -- to a lesser degree -- availability have always been an issue. Room-packing is about the only way I could afford it, and I tend to prefer not doing that. I try to keep it to four for a room, six for a suite, and at the Hyatt's prices, it's still a major chunk of change for the five or six days I'd be there.

--Jonah

I keep checking the d.con site for hotel blocks opening up for reservations. Am I missing it somewhere. I haven seen anything posted yet???!!!![emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They updated it yesterday...The Marriott has changed how they have done there rooms in the past...This year it will be a 2 night non refundable deposit...no room changes are aloud like past years...and on top of that, they want to charge the remaining amount for the hotel stay on March 1st...which is also non refundable from what I'm reading...I think this is just crazy, but that's just my opinion...other hotels at least let you change the room into someone else's name if you can't make it...I stayed at the Marriott 2 times in the past...

I'm still looking for a room close to the con, preferable within 2 blocks...If anyone is looking to split a room, let me know, I will have a least 2 people, my self and my father, if not a more, I can' always get more people to split if needed...let me know and send me a PM...thanks...

Also from what I'm reading on the Facebook hotel connection and other sites, all the other host hotels are sold out, and they sold out for 2017 during Dragoncon 2016...I could be wrong, but that's mainly what I'm reading and seeing on most pages and sites...

I was staying at the Omni@CNN. It's technically about 2 blocks away from the convention, but that's the distance to the AmericasMart center where the vendors etc are. The hotels are maybe 4-5 blocks away, which didn't seem like too far for me. I didn't explore the hotel very thoroughly when I arrived, so after I checked out, I wandered around the main lobby and discovered the food court inside the CNN building. I wish I had found it during the convention...

I think it would be nice to come again next year, but I'm not going to start planning that than until maybe around April or May. That's when I did my hotel reservation this year. The host hotels were obviously fully booked at that point. I don't think the increase in membership price is significant enough to matter, especially considering how much the hotel rooms are per night (even at DC discount rates).

The scones web site is still showing only the non host hotels. I can find a page that lists the room blocks like they have done in the past. What page are you finding the info?

So the Marriott rooms go on sale one Wednesday, I wish everyone luck in getting a room...I will not be partaking in this years Marriott Hunger games...due to the fact I think what there asking for is ridiculous wanting 2 nights deposit non refundable, and then full payment March 1st that is non-refundable, and non-transferable...I personal don't have that type of money to just put up in the air, if anyone that's in a host hotel needs paying roommates please send me a PM thank you, and may the odds ever be in your favor...

Last edited:
Well I went ahead and did it. Got a room at the Marriott. I look at li like it's lay-away for Christmas. Pay a little as you go. I like being right in the middle of the con and Stephanie can go to the room and nap if she gets tired. I agree Marriott is being greedy for collecting full payment with a no refund policy but that's just business. They are gonna sell out but that's what makes the free market work. See y'all in late august. Now I gotta find a pattern for Persphone's dress[emoji848]

Got my room at the DragonCon rate. Despite the no transfer rule I've easily transferred rooms before when I had an extra room and gave it to someone. Check the DragonCon room connections page for instructions. Basically you add the person to your reservation, they PayPal you the deposit, and they pay with their card when they check in.

Matt Pfingsten

Well I went ahead and did it. Got a room at the Marriott. I look at li like it's lay-away for Christmas. Pay a little as you go. I like being right in the middle of the con and Stephanie can go to the room and nap if she gets tired. I agree Marriott is being greedy for collecting full payment with a no refund policy but that's just business. They are gonna sell out but that's what makes the free market work. See y'all in late august. Now I gotta find a pattern for Persphone's dress[emoji848]

Congratulations! That's awesome!...I'm supper happy of you...

Got my room at the DragonCon rate. Despite the no transfer rule I've easily transferred rooms before when I had an extra room and gave it to someone. Check the DragonCon room connections page for instructions. Basically you add the person to your reservation, they PayPal you the deposit, and they pay with their card when they check in.

Matt Pfingsten

Congratulations! That's awesome!...I'm supper happy of you also...

This was the first year I actually got through on my first call. The hone only rang a couple time and then answered. I almost hung up thinking I had dialed the wrong number.

Hey Spoon. I found the pattern for persphone's dress and her shoes. I'm having trouble finding a fabric that looks and acts similar to latex. You mentioned you might have a lead on something. Any luck?

This was the first year I actually got through on my first call. The hone only rang a couple time and then answered. I almost hung up thinking I had dialed the wrong number.

That's supper sweet, The two times that I stayed in the Marriott, I got my reservations online. I'm still trying to find a close hotel, I have made a reservation at the Renaissance that I can cancel in case I find a closer hotel or if I find someone that's needing extra people to share there room with so they can split the bill. I Did that one year when I stayed at the Marriott with UMOphoto and one of his friends.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back