Robin Version II

Rogu3Wo1f

Hi all,

A fair while ago I started and sort of finished a Robin costume, inspired by Robin's costume in Arkham Origins.

However, once I finished the shirt of the costume, I wasn't happy with it. In fact I was incredibly frustrated with myself that it wasn't how I envisioned it turning out.

So, I began again. I bought higher quality fabric, and set out to do better.

tumblr_od2q28B3zH1txc8lko3_540.jpg

This was the first outfit. Foam underneath the fabric gave it a bit of padding and made it look armoured. Clips near the collarbone acted as anchors for the cape, which I still think was one of my better ideas and works very well. However, it's puffy, doesn't move very well, and the foam doesn't sit well on my body. I didn't have access to a sewing machine either, so all of the stitching was done by hand and is very messy and just quite frankly awful.

So I thought that with the next one, it would just be fabric. That way there would be no foam to hinder my movement, it wouldn't get all puffy and stick out at weird angles. I also thought I would simplify the design somewhat. Which leads me to the new design.

tumblr_od2qllAFov1txc8lko1_540.jpg

It's pretty rough right now, but it gets the point across. I have done some work on this already, the cape is practically finished and I have some of the fabric cut into the shapes I need.

tumblr_od2q28B3zH1txc8lko1_400.jpgtumblr_od2q28B3zH1txc8lko2_400.jpgtumblr_od2r1c5CBC1txc8lko1_540.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions or tips I welcome the help.

My next hurdle is figuring out how I'm going to wear the cape.

So my last cape used clips to plug directly into the chest piece. Which worked pretty well, but I obviously can't do the same with this version because it doesn't have the bulk to hide the clips.

So, my current idea, is to use press studs along the top of the chest piece, have the cape clip into that, then have a flap to clip onto the cape again to add a bit more strength. Don't know how feasible it is.

tumblr_od4b5pw2BK1rp8ldfo1_400.jpgtumblr_od4b5pw2BK1rp8ldfo2_400.jpgtumblr_od4b5pw2BK1rp8ldfo3_540.jpg

These are just a few ideas of how the collar could look.

I also thought about potentially just having the cape clip onto itself, it's not too heavy, but I worry if it clips onto the shirt it might pull that up since it doesn't weigh much.

Does anyone have any experience using press studs on their capes?

Since the cape is close to the neck and if it's not too heavy it probably will stay in place and not hurt your neck if you just let it by itself. Using studs, i would say the cape would pull the shirt. What you said with the studs and the flap is probably better than just studs. I've seen a thor build around here that the builder used some kind of clips on the shoulder (or something similar) to hold the cape and velcro closer to the chest to keep it in place. It al depends on the weight. Nice build and good luck!

The cape is pretty lightweight so it would be fine to have it around my neck I think.

I'll probably go with Velcro just because the push studs I have aren't all that strong.

The other thing I'm sort of struggling with is how I'm going to stretch my shirt out enough to sew the red fabric onto it. So if anyone has any suggestions, I'd welcome them.

I'm also trying to decide on what R I want to use for my logo, as well as what belt would be best. I'm leaning towards the DoJ Belt just because it looks kick ass.

Done some actual work today, I went and got a load of foam and some spray paint.

I'm still pretty fond of the Arkham Origins Robin, so I thought I'd go for some relatively bulky gauntlets.

Arkham Origins Robin.jpgFoam Bracers.jpg

They look very rough at the moment, but I hope with a couple coats of paint, some fins and straps, they should come up pretty nice.

So I might try my hand at making a sub dye pattern for the shirt, since it might be a tad easier than trying to sew fabric onto a compression shirt. Plus this way I can be very precise with the design and not have to worry about my terrible sewing.

Edit: Got a file from 4NeoDesigns and got to editing it to suit what I needed. Safe to say the project has changed dramatically. Here's what my girlfriend and I were able to get done so far.

IMG_20160911_003824_01~2.png

Last edited:
Haven't been up to much lately. Been totally consumed by some Uni stuff.

But I did have time recently to do a very quick mask. I'm not sure if this is what I'm gonna actually use as my mask, but we'll see.

Mask 3.jpgMask 2.jpgMask 1.jpg

No make up and it's just held on with tape. Sorta inspired by Nightwing's Arkham Knight mask, which has kinda grown on me. I think when I get a lot more skill I might try and tackle that costume. But for now, Robin comes first.

Gauntlets are coming along nicely, cape is almost finished too. I just need to find a way to attach the cape and fix some issues with it.
Might do something like this
22413555889_4277ea0b45_b.jpg

at the top of the cape to reinforce it a little since I messed up sewing it so the fabric is tearing.

If anyone has any suggestions of where I can get my suit printed, preferably within Australia I'd appreciate the info, and if anyone has any recommendations for how I could improve anything, let me know.

Haven't done much work recently on the costume.

But today I decided that by the end of this week I was gonna have the gauntlets finished.

So, I've almost finished the first one, got a few finishing touches to put on it, but it's coming together nicely.

Gauntlets 2.jpgGauntlets.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions of where I can get my suit printed, preferably within Australia I'd appreciate the info, and if anyone has any recommendations for how I could improve anything, let me know.

I know it's not Australia but I just got my first suit printed at zentaizone. They printed, sewed and got it to me from China to the U.S. in just over two weeks. I used the upgraded thick lycra with custom measurements. The printing itself is very nicely done.

I know it's not Australia but I just got my first suit printed at zentaizone. They printed, sewed and got it to me from China to the U.S. in just over two weeks. I used the upgraded thick lycra with custom measurements. The printing itself is very nicely done.

I'll have to check them out. I wanna separate the pants and the shirt cause I dislike the zip I have on my Spidey costume.

My fins just got posted from TigerStone FX and hopefully later on today I'll have at least one of the gauntlets painted.

Done a bit of painting today.

Not sure if I like them in black, but for now they shall stay like this, because I don't know what shade the red will be on fabric yet.

Gauntlets Black 3.jpgGauntlets Black 2.jpgGauntlets Black 1.jpg
The glue on some parts seems to have come apart, so that'll be fixed later on. I do like how the paint has gone into the cuts and grooves I made with a knife. I'm not the best with spray paint, so as a first attempt I think it looks pretty good.

And here's a photo of it on before I painted it.
Gauntlets 3.jpg

I got some stuff from ZentaiZone recently, shipping to Australia only took a few days (came via courier). Check out Pigeon Pie (a Brisbane based e-zine from a cosplay company called Part Time Props), they have have discount codes of Zentai Zone, 10-20% off usually.

I got some stuff from ZentaiZone recently, shipping to Australia only took a few days (came via courier). Check out Pigeon Pie (a Brisbane based e-zine from a cosplay company called Part Time Props), they have have discount codes of Zentai Zone, 10-20% off usually.

I'll have to check them out, thanks.

So by the end of today I should the second gauntlet done, but not painted. I also will get to work on the shin armour as soon as I decide on a look for it.

Alright so I managed to get the second gauntlet done. Haven't painted it yet, and I think I might still add a few little details to both before I give them another coat of paint.

But here are some photos of both of them on. I can bend my elbows and they're pretty comfortable to wear.

Gauntlets 5.jpgGauntlets 6.jpgGauntlets 4.jpg

Next is gonna be the shin armour, and again, will most likely be based on Robin's appearance in Arkham Origins.

renz-art-robin-gamemodel.jpgRobin Boots.jpg

Attachments

• Gauntlets.jpg
    Gauntlets.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 301
  • Gauntlets Black 3.jpg
    Gauntlets Black 3.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 313
  • Gauntlets Black 2.jpg
    Gauntlets Black 2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 320
A totally unexpected package showed up today.

Gauntlets w fins.jpgGauntlets w fins 2.jpg

I haven't actually attached them yet, not sure what would be the best way to do it. But holy hell, thanks a tonne to TigerStone FX, this was incredibly quick shipping.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back