Robin Version II

So this doesn't have anything to do with my project, but thought I'd put this costume somewhere.

From the Titans TV show coming out next year. Hopefully it's really really good.

titans-robin-brendan-thwait-600x400.jpg

Even though I don't like Dick having a Bo Staff, hopefully we get to see a better shot of the costume soon.

So it's been almost a year since my last post.

My god.

So I've been watching Titans, and it's reignited my desire to finish this ******* costume.

I took the suit to a tailor nearby, once I finally got it back from Frontier Costuming in April. I cannot stress enough how much I suggest you avoid this guy. Waste of time and money.

I've also done a bit more work on the belt, but still need to do a bit more detail work to get it somewhere I'm pleased with.

But here is the suit.

Attachments

• 20181129_170843.jpg
    20181129_170843.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 414
It looks really good! For being such a big part of Batman comics, Robin does get much credit. Maybe that will change with Titans.

So yesterday I had the terrifying experience of gluing the bodysuit to the muscle shirt I got, as well as gluing the emblem.

Very stressful evening. But it turned out really well.

Still got a few things to do.

I got some patterned pleather to do my gauntlets. Decided to move away from using foam as it wasn't working how I wanted. So this pleather will be used for the collar of the cape and the gauntlets.

20181208_145128.jpg

Also looking into getting some DoJ Batman boots for it. But the UD Replica ones can't be shipped to Australia for some reason. So if anyone has any they wanna sell in my size let me know.

Otherwise I think I'll aim for John Ninco's boots when I can afford them. Still lots to do. But Titans has really got me in the mood to do this.

Robin will fly again.
JPEG_20181208_141748.jpg

Last edited:
Started my v3 gauntlets today. Saw a video by DaliLomo DIY and attempted to do that, but rather than using craft foam for the leather texture, figured I'd just use pleather.

It worked fairly well.
20181220_131100.jpg 20181220_131104.jpg
Gauntlets v3.1.jpg

The zipper is definitely the way to go. And it worked great until I zipped it up and the toggle to zip it up came off.

So, I'll make a trip to this store nearby and get some more zippers. Definitely gonna put some fabric on the inside as well to make it a bit more comfortable. Then do something like the tactical Batsuit gauntlets and add on an extra part with the fins. Like these from John Ninco:
FB_IMG_1544952047073.jpg

I also figured out a solution for my cape situation. Which was to use a t-shirt to get the structure of the collar right. So, thank you Mass Effect: Andromeda t-shirt. You will be missed.
received_296446237675412.jpeg

Also found a good valued muscle suit from Zentai-Zentai that could be good for people on a budget and can't afford a Flex Design one. Obviously won't be anywhere near the quality, but better than nothing.
https://www.zentai-zentai.com/standard-muscle-suit-provides-a-nice-athletic-tone-products-3553.html

Additionally, decided to commission John Ninco for some Batfleck boots for this costume as a Christmas present to myself. Can't decide if I wanna ask to leave the fully black or get the gold details added in, open to suggestions.
FB_IMG_1544952116167.jpg

Slowly but surely this costume is getting there.

- Robin will fly again

Last edited:
Okay, god it feels good to get stuff done for this costume.

'Finished' the gauntlets. Still wanna do that extra armored piece with the fins, but here is the 90% finished gauntlets.
20181224_202903.jpg

Took a while, but I finished the guantlets. Or at least got them to a place where I'm happy with them.

20190115_154324.jpg
20190115_154350.jpg

I still need to attach the fins and tidy up some parts of the pleather I used and so on. But for the most part I'm really happy with them.

They're so light and easy to move in. Push ups are no problem, crossing my arms. These don't restrict my movement at all.

However. It is currently 34 Degrees Celsius here in Melbourne, hence why I'm shirtless, so apologies for that. These are definitely not built for summer felt like my forearms were being melted.

Next I'll be tackling the cape. I gotta figure this damn thing out. Might make a new one, found this fabric I had just lying around that I thought would look great.
20190116_144003.jpg

Then after that, I just wait for my boots from John Ninco to arrive and the muscle suit from Zentai-Zentai.

Last edited:
Been a while since I've posted in this.

Sadly never recieved the boots from Ninco, so had to get a refund. Then the suit sat in my wardrobe for a few months.
Recently however, I found out about a Batman event happening in Melbourne for the 80th Anniversary of Batman comics. So, I decided that this suit was going to be finished and that it didn't matter if it wasn't super accurate. I can always improve it over time, and add things to it.

For now, here are some photos I took with the suit full assembled sans mask. I shall be doing a photoshoot soon. Just gotta find some time, and wait for my sprained finger to heal.

Robinsuit Testing 2.jpg
Robinsuit Testing.jpg

If anyone wants to see the full photoshoot whenever it happens here's My Instagram

Batman's 80th Anniversary in Melbourne was awesome last night.

It was really great all the photos I took and the kind words everyone said about the suit. So, here are a few photos that were taken. Hell, I even got interviewed by the news.
DSCF9717.jpg
DSCF9712.jpg
DSCF9749.jpg

received_387323301959335.jpeg

It never ends.

I've added some more stuff to the suit. And have been working on new gauntlets, I've trimmed my mask down.

And now. I'm working on my own muscle suit. Which is both exciting and terrifying. I tried to buy one from Zentai Zentai, and should have known it wouldn't be any good. But, it did give me a black bodysuit to use as a base. So that's what I've been doing. First up, here's a good view of the suit in the daylight. No muscle suit, and no mask. But I did get some UD Replica DoJ boots that have been excellent.

IMG_1149.JPG

Now the muscle suit. So far I've only done the chest, which is giving me flashbacks to my original Robinsuit. Still gotta do the shoulders, biceps and triceps. And trying to decide if I want to do quads, glutes, etc. Going for a pretty lean look. And went for red fabric one so that it'd be easier to see where I put things. And also to give it a look like this is an armor base layer that would go under the costume. Kinda like that shirt you see Bruce wearing breifly in Justice League.
Muscle Suit Design.jpg

Grayson Muscle Suit 2.jpg

Grayson Muscle Suit.jpg

If you wanna see more stuff, check out my instagram: Callum Grayson (@delusionsofgrandeurcosplay) • Instagram photos and videos

Figure I'd keep updating this thread rather than making a new one. It's nice to see how far this costume has come.

So earlier this year I ended up going to Supanova in Melbourne, first time I'd gone to a convention in costume so that was pretty intimidating. And did a cool shoot with some other cosplayers.
Robin_08.jpg

Robin_12.jpg

But like always I am still upgrading this suit. I think eventually though I am going to need to upgrade the bodysuit itself. Probably screen printed lycra to add a bit more depth to it. But until then I do have Nightwing coming.

Most recent addition to this costume has been a new cape and neck seal from BvS from GC5FX.
Upgrades.jpg

I also made some upgrades to my muscle suit. Rounded the shoulders a little and added triceps.
Muscle Suit Arm.jpg

Attachments

• Upgrades 2.jpg
    Upgrades 2.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 140
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back