Robin Version II

So, next on the agenda is the Leg amour. Which I'm hopefully going to base off the Arkham Origins Robin costume. That'll tuck into the straps already on my boots.

I also found an Arkham Origins Grapple Gun prop, which I'm absolutely buying. I repainted my escrima sticks I had from my first ever cosplay and I'm working on a design for some Birdarangs to potentially get 3D printed.

I need to get some better paint and primer for the foam, so if anyone has any recommendations of primer for painting foam I'd greatly appreciate them.

Working on the cape and how I'm going to fasten it, but everything had had to slow down a fair bit because of a uni film project. But I'm getting back into the swing of things.

So ZentaiZone have said they'll be able to print the suit and separate it into a shirt and pair of pants. So I'll hopefully be getting that done soon.

Meanwhile I'm trying to resist buying a mask from TigerStone FX, that said. Anyone know a rough size of them?

Did you plasti-dip the foam first, or go straight to primer? Autobarn stocks plastic-dip locally (hardware places don't seem to for some reason). I went straight from that to paint (but was doing solid colour) which seemed to work well.

Well the guy I spoke to recommended this paint+primer thing. But everything is supposed to be black anyway so it's all good.

So I haven't been able to do a whole lot recently. Started at a new job so I've been pretty flat out.

But, I've managed to finally, finally spray paint both gauntlets, and my mask.

Robin Gauntlets.jpgMask.jpg

I'm relatively happy with these. But I think they're a bit too rough to put the fins on. So I think these ones are going to stay like this, and I'm going to work on a second set. Now that I know what I'm doing a lot better I think I can make a better pair.

The mask I'm happy with, the paint has made it much more rigid and tough.

The more I work on this though, the more I want to be able to make a proper, screen accurate Arkham Origins Robin costume.

Hoping to get more work done on the leg armour this weekend, and if anyone can suggest a belt that'd be a big help.

So.

I ordered some shoes that I'm gonna use with this costume. Mainly because the boots I was going to use are far too bulky and uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time, and because I think the new pair will look much more Robin like.

pDSP1-23619443_alternate4_v750.jpg

I have also made another gauntlet. I think this one is much better than my first attempt. It's sleeker, lighter, more comfortable to wear and more secure. I decided to use elastic to hold the gauntlet together, so rather than having to **** around with clips I can just slide my arm into it. Much easier. I think it also looks a lot more like the Arkham Origins gauntlets.

IMG_20161109_141112.jpgIMG_20161109_141135.jpgIMG_20161109_141220.jpgIMG_20161109_141229.jpg

I wish I had more of an update, I've been so damn lazy with this project. But work picked up some more and I had a fair few acting gigs that took priority.

But I have a few more things I wanna do with this. I wanna make some kind of neck armour and some fins using rubber. So if anyone can recommend some videos of tutorials of how to make moulds and all that that'd be awesome. But something sorta like this.
Batman-New-52-cowl-neck-armor-by-Tiger-Stone-FX.jpg

Other than all this, I'm hitting the gym pretty hard, really trying to get that super hero body.

Have been lurking, following this build since you started - it's great to see your dedication as the scale of the project increases. Keep it up!

It seems I have the inability to stop adding things to this costume plan.

After watching one of Cosplay Chris' videos with a Flex Design muscle suit, I thought I might try and do something similar for Robin. Obviously not to the extent of Batman level musculature. So I got some High Density foam, and am planning on doing a small muscle suit. How would everyone suggest I cut this foam?

I also have a few other ideas, but since I'm on holiday right now I can't do anything at the moment. But I am hoping that I'll be able to actually get the main suit soon enough and there'll actually be some progress on this build.

I'm playing with this idea at the moment also. I don't want to do a full muscle suit as think multiple layers of fabric and foam under the costume it will make things too hot to wear, but I'd like to use some aspects of it. Costume I'm working on I think I could get away with some shoulders and chest pieces that don't need the undersuit, but if I want to put in anything else I think I"d need to add another layer at least. Will be interested to see what you do and what you find works. This is the best tutorial video I found in case of any assistance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyoxjX9L2RQ

PS I was at Aldi this morning and they have hobby tools (dremels) for $45 as the weekly special. If they have them in your area too, may be a goer.

Last edited:
Yeah, the foam will definitely make the costume a little hot to wear. So I was even toying with the idea of having two versions. One with the foam muscle inlays, and another without for different climates.

Fortunately, I did just get a sewing machine for Christmas, everything else so far had been sewn by hand. But now I have a sewing machine I'll be able to finish some other costumes that have been on the back burner for a while.

Hell, I might even try and make some more Robin capes to sell, since I have scoured Etsy and not found many that are black and yellow.

I shall try as best I can to actually make some progress on this costume. For the moment though it has to be put on pause while I get back to work and get some money up. Hopefully in the next month or so I'll have some actual tangible progress to show.

So... This has not gone well.

I don't know how it turned out this way. I gave the people my measurements and somehow they managed to **** it up.
Robin Mk II back.jpgRobin Mk II side.jpgRobin Mk II sleeve detail.jpgRobin Mk II.jpg

So, I kinda look like a Power Ranger with all this loose lycra. I'm not happy. Money down the drain and I don't think this is salvageable.

The torso and the arms are so loose, which doesn't make sense, I don't know how this happened at all when I gave them my measurements.

Well. Back to the drawing board, I'm finishing this costume if it kills me.

Ah that's such a shame! But it doesn't look that bad really, still seems usable to me. If you could get someone to shorten the zipper a little and remove that bunching that is pulling the rest of the fabric, and tighten up the limbs a little, then attach a bit of armour and such on top of it, it would probably still be pretty good

Ah that's such a shame! But it doesn't look that bad really, still seems usable to me. If you could get someone to shorten the zipper a little and remove that bunching that is pulling the rest of the fabric, and tighten up the limbs a little, then attach a bit of armour and such on top of it, it would probably still be pretty good

I think I'm going to keep it just so I can test things on it.

But on the bright side, my mask I ordered from Tiger Stone FX arrived and it is incredible. It feels like it was made for me.
Robin Mask.jpg

So it's been about a million years since I started this thread. I'm really bad at updating stuff I suppose.

But I moved, and bought a car and lots of other things happened but now I'm back and working on the costume again.

I've ~finished~ the cape. Not 100% happy with it, so it will most likely change, but it does function now.
Cape V1.2 Collar.jpgCape V1.2.jpg

I would really like to be able to get the collar looking like this. So if anyone has any suggestions or tips I'd really appreciate the help.
DoJ Robin Cape Collar.png

I'm also working on painting the belt I purchased from Valor Replicas. As well as trying to give my Grapnel Gun a better paint job.
Concept Belt Pouch.jpgConcept Belt WIP.jpgGrapnel Gun.jpg

Hopefully I'll actually get this damn thing finished at some point in time. Wish me luck.

The belt is almost finished.

A few little spots where I need to touch up. But for the most part it's done.

Concept Belt V1 close.jpgConcept Belt V1.jpg

Now I just need to figure out a way to hook the grappling gun onto the belt.

For future masks I recommend looking at Rogue Design FX they have excellent quality for a good price. Though they're own brand of adhesive is a pain to get off masks or anything really.

Never personally connected with any of his designs. They look great, but nothing really jumps out at me.

Besides for the moment, I only need this one. Since I'll probably use this mask for the next Nightwing costume I try and make a while down the line. Gotta finish this one first.

Thought I'd try the belt on a bit just to test the weight and the strength of the glue. Screws are going in later today.

IMG_20171114_162010.jpgIMG_20171114_162048.jpgIMG_20171114_162207.jpg

This belt is not light. I'd say it's maybe a kilo or two. I definitely need to add a bit of padding to the inside, just to make it a bit more comfortable to have sitting on my hips.

Still sadly waiting on delivery of my suit, hopefully that gets here soon. The tracking hasn't updated since Friday frustratingly.

Here writing the same thing again.

Just got my second lycra suit (For the costume, not the second from this seller) from Frontier Costuming. After nearly 5 months of repeated claims I'd get it soon, and then having it pushed back and messages ignored. I finally got the suit.

Only to discover how rushed it had been put together, a few requests I had made were ignored and it's way, way too big for me. Very similar to the last one, even with the muscle shirt it's ridiculously large. Obviously I am very frustrated by this. Has anyone else ever had this kind of issue with these guys?

Should I try and get them to fix the suit? Or take it to a seamstress to fix it?

I will be attempting to get a full refund, because this is just ridiculous. If any one has any suggestions I'd really welcome them. Or if they know a good seamstress that can fix this stuff.

Oh well. I've got a cape to modify. Hopefully the next update won't be so negative.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back