Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Sep 6, 2016, 4:52 AM - Robin Version II #1

Hi all,

A fair while ago I started and sort of finished a Robin costume, inspired by Robin's costume in Arkham Origins.

However, once I finished the shirt of the costume, I wasn't happy with it. In fact I was incredibly frustrated with myself that it wasn't how I envisioned it turning out.

So, I began again. I bought higher quality fabric, and set out to do better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_od2q28B3zH1txc8lko3_540.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	661454

This was the first outfit. Foam underneath the fabric gave it a bit of padding and made it look armoured. Clips near the collarbone acted as anchors for the cape, which I still think was one of my better ideas and works very well. However, it's puffy, doesn't move very well, and the foam doesn't sit well on my body. I didn't have access to a sewing machine either, so all of the stitching was done by hand and is very messy and just quite frankly awful.

So I thought that with the next one, it would just be fabric. That way there would be no foam to hinder my movement, it wouldn't get all puffy and stick out at weird angles. I also thought I would simplify the design somewhat. Which leads me to the new design.

Name:	tumblr_od2qllAFov1txc8lko1_540.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	661455

It's pretty rough right now, but it gets the point across. I have done some work on this already, the cape is practically finished and I have some of the fabric cut into the shapes I need.

Name:	tumblr_od2q28B3zH1txc8lko1_400.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	661456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_od2q28B3zH1txc8lko2_400.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	661457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_od2r1c5CBC1txc8lko1_540.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	661459

If anyone has any suggestions or tips I welcome the help.

My next hurdle is figuring out how I'm going to wear the cape.
    Sep 7, 2016, 1:05 AM - Re: Robin Version II #2

So my last cape used clips to plug directly into the chest piece. Which worked pretty well, but I obviously can't do the same with this version because it doesn't have the bulk to hide the clips.

So, my current idea, is to use press studs along the top of the chest piece, have the cape clip into that, then have a flap to clip onto the cape again to add a bit more strength. Don't know how feasible it is.

Name:	tumblr_od4b5pw2BK1rp8ldfo1_400.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	661761Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_od4b5pw2BK1rp8ldfo2_400.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	661762Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_od4b5pw2BK1rp8ldfo3_540.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	661763

These are just a few ideas of how the collar could look.

I also thought about potentially just having the cape clip onto itself, it's not too heavy, but I worry if it clips onto the shirt it might pull that up since it doesn't weigh much.

Does anyone have any experience using press studs on their capes?
  3. Member Since
    May 2015
    Sep 7, 2016, 6:48 PM - Re: Robin Version II #3

Since the cape is close to the neck and if it's not too heavy it probably will stay in place and not hurt your neck if you just let it by itself. Using studs, i would say the cape would pull the shirt. What you said with the studs and the flap is probably better than just studs. I've seen a thor build around here that the builder used some kind of clips on the shoulder (or something similar) to hold the cape and velcro closer to the chest to keep it in place. It al depends on the weight. Nice build and good luck!
    Sep 8, 2016, 12:34 AM - Re: Robin Version II #4

The cape is pretty lightweight so it would be fine to have it around my neck I think.

I'll probably go with Velcro just because the push studs I have aren't all that strong.

The other thing I'm sort of struggling with is how I'm going to stretch my shirt out enough to sew the red fabric onto it. So if anyone has any suggestions, I'd welcome them.

I'm also trying to decide on what R I want to use for my logo, as well as what belt would be best. I'm leaning towards the DoJ Belt just because it looks kick ass.
    Sep 8, 2016, 7:15 AM - Re: Robin Version II #5

Done some actual work today, I went and got a load of foam and some spray paint.

I'm still pretty fond of the Arkham Origins Robin, so I thought I'd go for some relatively bulky gauntlets.

Name:	Arkham Origins Robin.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	662179Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foam Bracers.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	662180

They look very rough at the moment, but I hope with a couple coats of paint, some fins and straps, they should come up pretty nice.
    Sep 10, 2016, 2:46 AM - Re: Robin Version II #6

So I might try my hand at making a sub dye pattern for the shirt, since it might be a tad easier than trying to sew fabric onto a compression shirt. Plus this way I can be very precise with the design and not have to worry about my terrible sewing.

Edit: Got a file from 4NeoDesigns and got to editing it to suit what I needed. Safe to say the project has changed dramatically. Here's what my girlfriend and I were able to get done so far.

Name:	IMG_20160911_003824_01~2.png 
Views:	175 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	662845
    Last edited by Rogu3Wo1f; Sep 10, 2016 at 10:50 AM.
  7. Member Since
    May 2011
    From
    Plano, TX
    Sep 10, 2016, 12:54 PM - Re: Robin Version II #7

Now that Kicks Ass !
    Sep 18, 2016, 3:31 AM - Re: Robin Version II #8

Haven't been up to much lately. Been totally consumed by some Uni stuff.

But I did have time recently to do a very quick mask. I'm not sure if this is what I'm gonna actually use as my mask, but we'll see.

Name:	Mask 3.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	664874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mask 2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	664873Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mask 1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	664872

No make up and it's just held on with tape. Sorta inspired by Nightwing's Arkham Knight mask, which has kinda grown on me. I think when I get a lot more skill I might try and tackle that costume. But for now, Robin comes first.

Gauntlets are coming along nicely, cape is almost finished too. I just need to find a way to attach the cape and fix some issues with it.
    Might do something like this

Name:	22413555889_4277ea0b45_b.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	265.6 KB 
ID:	664875

at the top of the cape to reinforce it a little since I messed up sewing it so the fabric is tearing.

If anyone has any suggestions of where I can get my suit printed, preferably within Australia I'd appreciate the info, and if anyone has any recommendations for how I could improve anything, let me know.
    Sep 27, 2016, 6:34 AM - Re: Robin Version II #9

Haven't done much work recently on the costume.

But today I decided that by the end of this week I was gonna have the gauntlets finished.

So, I've almost finished the first one, got a few finishing touches to put on it, but it's coming together nicely.

Name:	Gauntlets 2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	667518Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gauntlets.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	667519
  10. Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Sep 27, 2016, 7:02 AM - Re: Robin Version II #10

This is looking Great!! I'll be following this closely; cant wait to see more progress and the final suit!
    Sep 27, 2016, 12:15 PM - Re: Robin Version II #11

This is looking awesome dude! Sub'd
  12. RPF Premium Member justanuthercap's Avatar
    From
    Central Florida
    Sep 27, 2016, 12:43 PM - Re: Robin Version II #12

Rogu3Wo1f said: View Post
    If anyone has any suggestions of where I can get my suit printed, preferably within Australia I'd appreciate the info, and if anyone has any recommendations for how I could improve anything, let me know.
    I know it's not Australia but I just got my first suit printed at zentaizone. They printed, sewed and got it to me from China to the U.S. in just over two weeks. I used the upgraded thick lycra with custom measurements. The printing itself is very nicely done.
    From
    California
    Sep 27, 2016, 8:47 PM - Re: Robin Version II #13

Gawd dayum this is beautiful!!! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!!!
    Sep 27, 2016, 8:51 PM - Re: Robin Version II #14

justanuthercap said: View Post
    I know it's not Australia but I just got my first suit printed at zentaizone. They printed, sewed and got it to me from China to the U.S. in just over two weeks. I used the upgraded thick lycra with custom measurements. The printing itself is very nicely done.
    I'll have to check them out. I wanna separate the pants and the shirt cause I dislike the zip I have on my Spidey costume.

My fins just got posted from TigerStone FX and hopefully later on today I'll have at least one of the gauntlets painted.
    Sep 28, 2016, 3:32 AM - Re: Robin Version II #15

Done a bit of painting today.

Not sure if I like them in black, but for now they shall stay like this, because I don't know what shade the red will be on fabric yet.

Name:	Gauntlets Black 3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	667833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gauntlets Black 2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	667832Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gauntlets Black 1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	667831
    The glue on some parts seems to have come apart, so that'll be fixed later on. I do like how the paint has gone into the cuts and grooves I made with a knife. I'm not the best with spray paint, so as a first attempt I think it looks pretty good.

And here's a photo of it on before I painted it.

Name:	Gauntlets 3.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	667834
    Sep 28, 2016, 5:17 AM - Re: Robin Version II #16

justanuthercap said: View Post
    I got some stuff from ZentaiZone recently, shipping to Australia only took a few days (came via courier). Check out Pigeon Pie (a Brisbane based e-zine from a cosplay company called Part Time Props), they have have discount codes of Zentai Zone, 10-20% off usually.
    Sep 28, 2016, 11:22 PM - Re: Robin Version II #17

Grigori said: View Post
    I got some stuff from ZentaiZone recently, shipping to Australia only took a few days (came via courier). Check out Pigeon Pie (a Brisbane based e-zine from a cosplay company called Part Time Props), they have have discount codes of Zentai Zone, 10-20% off usually.
    I'll have to check them out, thanks.

So by the end of today I should the second gauntlet done, but not painted. I also will get to work on the shin armour as soon as I decide on a look for it.
    Sep 29, 2016, 5:03 AM - Re: Robin Version II #18

Alright so I managed to get the second gauntlet done. Haven't painted it yet, and I think I might still add a few little details to both before I give them another coat of paint.

But here are some photos of both of them on. I can bend my elbows and they're pretty comfortable to wear.

Name:	Gauntlets 5.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	668197Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gauntlets 6.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	668198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gauntlets 4.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	668196

Next is gonna be the shin armour, and again, will most likely be based on Robin's appearance in Arkham Origins.

Name:	renz-art-robin-gamemodel.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	668202Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Robin Boots.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	668203
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gauntlets Black 2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	668199   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gauntlets Black 3.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	668200   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gauntlets.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	668201  

Sep 29, 2016, 8:09 AM - Re: Robin Version II #19

Looking great, keep up the good work, I can't wait to see this come together.
    Oct 3, 2016, 11:36 PM - Re: Robin Version II #20

A totally unexpected package showed up today.

Name:	Gauntlets w fins.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	669461Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gauntlets w fins 2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	669460

I haven't actually attached them yet, not sure what would be the best way to do it. But holy hell, thanks a tonne to TigerStone FX, this was incredibly quick shipping.
    Oct 20, 2016, 7:17 AM - Re: Robin Version II #21

So, next on the agenda is the Leg amour. Which I'm hopefully going to base off the Arkham Origins Robin costume. That'll tuck into the straps already on my boots.

I also found an Arkham Origins Grapple Gun prop, which I'm absolutely buying. I repainted my escrima sticks I had from my first ever cosplay and I'm working on a design for some Birdarangs to potentially get 3D printed.

I need to get some better paint and primer for the foam, so if anyone has any recommendations of primer for painting foam I'd greatly appreciate them.

Working on the cape and how I'm going to fasten it, but everything had had to slow down a fair bit because of a uni film project. But I'm getting back into the swing of things.
    Oct 21, 2016, 5:59 AM - Re: Robin Version II #22

So ZentaiZone have said they'll be able to print the suit and separate it into a shirt and pair of pants. So I'll hopefully be getting that done soon.

Meanwhile I'm trying to resist buying a mask from TigerStone FX, that said. Anyone know a rough size of them?
    Oct 22, 2016, 7:06 AM - Re: Robin Version II #23

Did you plasti-dip the foam first, or go straight to primer? Autobarn stocks plastic-dip locally (hardware places don't seem to for some reason). I went straight from that to paint (but was doing solid colour) which seemed to work well.
    Oct 22, 2016, 8:24 AM - Re: Robin Version II #24

Well the guy I spoke to recommended this paint+primer thing. But everything is supposed to be black anyway so it's all good.
    Oct 27, 2016, 12:00 AM - Re: Robin Version II #25

So I haven't been able to do a whole lot recently. Started at a new job so I've been pretty flat out.

But, I've managed to finally, finally spray paint both gauntlets, and my mask.

Name:	Robin Gauntlets.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	299.4 KB 
ID:	677278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mask.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	214.1 KB 
ID:	677277

I'm relatively happy with these. But I think they're a bit too rough to put the fins on. So I think these ones are going to stay like this, and I'm going to work on a second set. Now that I know what I'm doing a lot better I think I can make a better pair.

The mask I'm happy with, the paint has made it much more rigid and tough.

The more I work on this though, the more I want to be able to make a proper, screen accurate Arkham Origins Robin costume.

Hoping to get more work done on the leg armour this weekend, and if anyone can suggest a belt that'd be a big help.