Budget Builds -Thermal Detonator, Leia's Blaster, Fett's ESB & ROTJ Blasters (<$40)

Sillof

Now a days I spend most of my time sculpting doing lines like these.
c-serial-group-good.jpg
c-fant-group-good.jpg
c-west-group-good.jpg

But prop making is my first love. I started doing it back in 92 when all I had was a handful of books and no internet. My father was a tool and die machinist and it was a hobby that brought us together. I stay pretty busy with the commissioned sculpting but every now and then I make some props. These are not really new some are a pretty old but I thought I would post them.

I do occasionally take some of my commission money and buy the real parts to make authentic replicas. But I still enjoy the scratch & budgets build for fun. I love the challenge and I feel like it keeps my skills up for when I work as a production designer on films.

THERMAL DETONATOR
Nothing too original here. I was actually at Disney at the first Star Wars weekend when they sold this. I bought a few immediately with the same idea everyone else has had. I painted it with a base of silver, misted a gunmetal, sponged on rust and brown, did a black wash and then used 3 different rub n buff colors. I masked off the electronics so it still works. Of course the hot potato game was under $10.
DETONATOR.jpg

LEIA'S ANH BLASTER
Again nothing to special here. Except that the whole thing cost me lest than $10. If is a squirt gun filled with plaster for weight, a various pvc pipes, some plexiglass, an old xacto tip, and an old phone cord. I have since bought the correct model plane engine for a few dollars and plan to swap them out.
LEIA-blaster.jpg

Attachments

• DETONATOR.jpg
    DETONATOR.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 237
  • LEIA-blaster.jpg
    LEIA-blaster.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Re: Budget Builds -Thermal Detonator, Leia's Blaster, Fett's ESB & ROTJ Blasters (<$

Cool stuff. Where at the Fett blasters?

Re: Budget Builds -Thermal Detonator, Leia's Blaster, Fett's ESB & ROTJ Blasters (<$

Years ago (1992) my fatherhelped me build one of my first real props, a ROTJ Boba Fett blaster.
my-boba-fett-rotj-ee-3-blaster-scratch-budget-build-p_boba-jpg-52679d1304252090

ORIGINAL LESS ACCURATE VERSION

It was very accurate by my standards (back then) and with the pre-internet reference photos and DVDs. Over the years I had always wanted to fix the inaccuracies, but it is too sentimental for me because he no longer is able to really make things. So I set about building from scratch a new ROTJ blaster. The entire thing cost under $40.

So I had a crossman 357 that I used for my ESB blaster. Then I found out it was a common base for fett guns. I bought another on an buyer on a online gun auction site who repairs airguns. I got it for $15 as it was non firing but was not going to be shooting anything.
my-boba-fett-rotj-ee-3-blaster-scratch-budget-build-310ebfbfd77e3551d3a3b177381ef6a9-jpg-52677d1304251764

The first (and most timeconsuming step) was to cut down the cylinder on the sides that looks like where the bullets go. I had worked this out on my ESB build
my-boba-fett-rotj-ee-3-blaster-scratch-budget-build-bf-cylinder-jpg-52678d1304251888

Next I removed the handle from one side and placed a large wooden rod in the cavity of the co2 container. It was held in by a generous amount of apoxie and sanded flat. This would give the stalk arm something to screw into.
my-boba-fett-rotj-ee-3-blaster-scratch-budget-build-bf-grip-jpg-52680d1304252212

The barrel is just 2 sizes of pvc pipe sanded down inside to fit together. The tip of the barrel is a funnel cut down with a smaller pvc pipe with it front sanded down at an angle to fit inside the funnel to give the look of a barrel.
my-boba-fett-rotj-ee-3-blaster-scratch-budget-build-bf-tip-jpg-52681d1304252332

The stalk was sanded down from a large piece of scrap wood bought at mendards for $1.50
my-boba-fett-rotj-ee-3-blaster-scratch-budget-build-bf-stalk-jpg-52682d1304252380

The stalk arm was cut from some plexiglass using WOF's templates
my-boba-fett-rotj-ee-3-blaster-scratch-budget-build-bf-stalkarm-jpg-52683d1304252458

The finished product turned out nicely. Bought some of the lightsaber handle rubber from someone (it was over 6 years ago), added some cheap ebay greeblies, built out the revolver area with apoxie, got a $10 scope at walmart, added some puddy on the stock. Painted it with a few different coats of black and grey and gave it a few washes in various browns. All in all under $40 approximately.

FINISHED GUN
my-boba-fett-rotj-ee-3-blaster-scratch-budget-build-boba-rotj-3-jpg-102849d1473026824

BOBA-ROTJ-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

My ESB was actually built before the above ROTJ. Excuse the poor quality of the pics they were taken about 7 years ago with the cameras of the day.

an old crosman 357 (alreadyhad the gun and thought it look like a webley - it even breaks open at the samepoint) with various pvc parts for a barrel.
boba-fett-esb-blaster-budget-build-esb2-jpg-52082d1302006484

a 10$ tasco scope which I thought had a passable resemblance to the movie scope.
boba-fett-esb-blaster-budget-build-esb5-jpg-52079d1302006474

Scrap wood reworked on a belt sander.
boba-fett-esb-blaster-budget-build-esb1-jpg-52080d1302006478

medium stain - no varnish - actually used a semigloss model top coat.
boba-fett-esb-blaster-budget-build-esb6-jpg-52084d1302006490

Apoxie sculpted the detail and made the stalk armout of plexiglass.
boba-fett-esb-blaster-budget-build-esb3-jpg-52083d1302006487

the Revell part is actually 2 pieces of plexi cutout and glued on a cap.
boba-fett-esb-blaster-budget-build-esb4-jpg-52081d1302006481

I picked up a junk 2 cell heiland on ebay for a steal, bought some resin greeblies, and had an old small belt for the strap.

The total cost of the entire gun is under 30$

FINISHED GUN
my-boba-fett-rotj-ee-3-blaster-scratch-budget-build-boba-esb-2-jpg-102850d1473026912

my-boba-fett-rotj-ee-3-blaster-scratch-budget-build-boba-recipe-jpg-102851d1473026985

Last edited by a moderator:

Great result on the TD, probably the best paint up I have seen, well done!!

i'd love to do this someday! Beautiful rework of that crosman man, seriously talented scratchwork

Amazing work

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back