My Jumanji Board

justy

Finally getting around to posting about this project...
After researching and gathering reference images/video, I had cut and assembled most of the box last year over the holidays, and started carving out the patterns on the inside edges before temporarily shelving the project to make time for some more ambitious freelance projects. At the same time I started animating the riddles for the screen I had planned. Now, not quite a year later, I'm back at it. Hopefully posting about it will keep me accountable and keep the momentum going.

Here's some of the rare stills I took whilst working. I've tried to be more diligent this time around.

2016-01-08 22.45.57.jpg2016-07-27 23.06.31.jpg2016-07-30 11.05.25.jpg

The most time consuming part was carving out little diamonds along the inner edges. It's not screen accurate but gave some needed detail without a whole lot of skill involved. Just patience.

After toying with the idea of using foam for the top artwork, which was promptly abandoned as it shrank too much, I decided to do it in Sculpey.

2016-08-12 18.46.16.jpg2016-08-13 10.10.47.jpg2016-08-13 17.17.54.jpg2016-08-19 18.33.39.jpg

This was fun to do, as well as new; I'm not too familiar working with clay. I found out that after baking it was more brittle than I'd hoped for. I'm not sure if it was an incorrect baking time or if I'd rolled it too think to start with. Or both. Either way, with a bit of glue I was able to put Humpty together again. There were plenty more breaks that weren't photographed.

2016-08-19 18.35.26.jpg2016-08-19 18.35.00.jpg2016-08-19 19.46.24.jpg2016-08-19 19.43.53.jpg2016-08-19 19.44.02.jpg

To give some much needed stability I glued the whole thing to some poster board with spray adhesive and trimmed the extra paper off. This helped a ton with the fragility. Next, to paint the thing.

This is the base paint job, kinda ugly, but it's a start.
2016-08-20 14.36.55.jpg
Once the base colors dried, I re-wet them and wiped a little paint off (I used cheap acrylics) to get them more faded looking.

Next, after some tests, I slathered it with the same wood stain I used on the rest of the box. And wiped it off.

2016-08-20 18.11.07.jpg2016-08-20 18.11.30.jpg2016-08-20 18.10.55.jpg2016-08-20 14.46.45.jpg

And after drying, sanding, and sealing it with some urethane, I did another coat.

2016-08-20 18.20.21.jpg

Later on, I recessed the top clay artwork into the board with a drill and Dremel. Quite loud messy, and didn't take time to snap any pictures...

Last edited:
With a bit of Photoshop to distress and add a slight wood texture, I then printed the rules out on Legal paper and cut them to size. I soaked them in tea then baked for a bit. I used a clothes iron to smooth them back out afterward.

2016-08-20 22.18.19.jpg2016-08-20 23.02.10.jpg2016-08-20 23.07.40.jpg

One thing I didn't take into account was how much the aging process would shrink. So they were a tad small once finished. As the color also didn't quite feel right this gave me an excuse to try again. I did a couple more versions varying the recipe and process just to see what happens. I ended up using one piece from the second batch and the other from the third. I glued them into place with Mod Podge, smoothing with a credit card. After drying, a couple coats of the same clear semi-gloss polyurethane as the box.

In the meantime, Audrey2's thread inspired me to resurrect my old animations: https://youtu.be/XQM09pzM50I

and after a bit of work: https://youtu.be/7koNTBlmsR0

I enjoy returning to projects that have sat for a while, it helps to look at it from a slightly different eye. For me, it is a bunch of fun:) Here is the build as of now:
2016-09-03 13.49.25.jpg2016-09-03 13.49.41.jpg2016-09-03 13.49.53.jpg2016-09-03 13.50.02.jpg2016-09-03 13.50.18.jpg2016-09-03 13.51.42.jpg

Also pictured above but not properly documented are the small compartment lids and recessed magnets to hold the main lids shut. The lids are just MDF boards (left over from my time machine last summer) with the leaves carved with a Dremel, painted and stained the same way as the outside Jumanji lid pieces. I found some small inexpensive hinges at the Lowes. I still need to add some magnets or something to keep the little lids closed.

really love this, amazing job! so much work goes into something like this and you really nailed it. One of my grail pieces to acquire.

Yep:) everything's animated and rendered, I'm mostly happy with it at this point. Now i just need to figure out something for the middle screen and how to code it.

Well I know the dial diameter is 96mm, so you're looking for about 7 inches 16:9 display?
Just to make sure that it's tall enough.

i don't know how i missed this build?! wonderful job! this is one of my favorite props! you nailed it! how long do you think you have in modeling the cover? i don't have any CNC, or 3D modeling skills so the way you did this i can relate! I'm super excited you can make this so spot on with out the need of machinery!

really old school approach, i love the way you did this!!

After toying with the idea of using foam for the top artwork, which was promptly abandoned as it shrank too much, I decided to do it in Sculpey.

View attachment 660616View attachment 660617View attachment 660618View attachment 660619

This was fun to do, as well as new; I'm not too familiar working with clay. I found out that after baking it was more brittle than I'd hoped for. I'm not sure if it was an incorrect baking time or if I'd rolled it too think to start with. Or both. Either way, with a bit of glue I was able to put Humpty together again. There were plenty more breaks that weren't photographed.

View attachment 660621View attachment 660620View attachment 660624View attachment 660622View attachment 660623

Hi,mybest compliments for your work, it's fantastic ! I have a question about the material that you used to make the game ground...What have you used? Dash? Has it restricted when you put it in the oven? For how long and at what temperature?

Thank a lot :)
There has restricted where you put it in the oven? For how long and at what temperature?There has restricted where you put it in the oven? For how long and at what temperature?There has restricted where you put it in the oven? For how long and at what temperature?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,mybest compliments for your work, it's fantastic ! I have a question about the material that you used to make the game ground...What have you used? Dash? Has it restricted when you put it in the oven? For how long and at what temperature?
Thank a lot :)

It’s just Sculpey oven bake clay. I don’t remember how long I baked it for, possibly 15-20 mins maybe? Sculpey usually has directions for baking times based on how thick it is, although I don’t remember off the top of my head.

It’s just Sculpey oven bake clay. I don’t remember how long I baked it for, possibly 15-20 mins maybe? Sculpey usually has directions for baking times based on how thick it is, although I don’t remember off the top of my head.

However you used a common house oven at a temperature of around 200°C, right?
Beacuse i like your choice to make the game board camp, it's very nice!
Only a thing...i have read that the clay never become hard..so the clay that you used is a particular clay that after time become hard or however it remain a little soft?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back