3D printed Robocop suit 1987 build- COMPLETE

Re: 3D printed Robocop suit 1987 build

I just printed my Auto 9. Considering the Do3D files for the suit. I dont mind the finish work but I am bit worried about all the mods required for these files. Curious if anyone has helped fix the files to make them better so all the manual work to do so isn't needed?

I just printed my Auto 9. Considering the Do3D files for the suit. I dont mind the finish work but I am bit worried about all the mods required for these files. Curious if anyone has helped fix the files to make them better so all the manual work to do so isn't needed?

Thank you guys. I know they are possibly considering doing a Version. 2 suit in the future but I'm not completely sure if that will happen. The files haven't been fixed to my knowledge at this point. It really depends on how accurate you want the suit to look. The basic geometry of the suit compared to the screen used used suit is off on a lot of places and I've tried to omit doing a lot of reworking on the shapes of the pieces. But the suit is very close enough to resemble a high end Robocop suit depending on your skill level.

I already knew when purchasing the files that it needed a lot of work so I didn't go into it blind. I really saw the suit only as a good base for me to rework and modify to have a suit of my desire. A few years back I owned a Bruce Hansing Robocop suit and the detail on that suit was really bad, which really wasn't his fault completely and I really did regret selling that suit for a long time because I wish I would have done the rework, but I was just extremely unhappy on how bad that suit looked close up. I would have actually been quite embarassed to walk around with that suit because of how bad the details were. I can honestly say that this suit (even though missing a lot of detail) with the details that are there even when 3D printed look way cleaner and smoother then a Hansing Robocop suit.

I think the suit is nice middle ground between a Hansing suit and a screen used suit. Not perfect by no means but will look like the real deal if done right. I'm not going to lie to you though...expect tons and tons of work.

Hope that helps with your decision.

Do3d claims that if you send them the request to fix they will. Have you sent them any change or addition requests based on all your work?

Do3d claims that if you send them the request to fix they will. Have you sent them any change or addition requests based on all your work?

Do3d has been great in the process of building this. The only modifications I had them do were adding the engraving of the OCP logos on the helmet and leg and also had them build me more accurate gloves which you can also purchase with the suit. I've also inquired about a couple other small details but that is still being worked out. Both details that were done, were done in a timely manner.

I probably could have had them do more but I really didn't want to hassle them with every little nuance that I felt I could do myself which I already prepared myself to do beforehand when purchasing the files. I like testing my abilities and having the opportunities to be an artist which might sound weird but is one of the reasons I left a lot of things as is.

Do3D sent me this. Do you know what they mean by the "Thigh"? I wondered if you helped them fix it. I am good with printing stuff but sometimes not so great at modifying it and like to follow others who pave the way and know more about what they are doing that I do.

"So let us know what needs to be done.

If you buy the file and pick out the problems like this, we will fix the file over time. We already did a perfect job on the thigh."

Last edited by a moderator:

amazing work!!!! I'm a newbie at 3d printing. what printer do you use and do you recommend it or any other model?

thank you!

Frasic

amazing work!!!! I'm a newbie at 3d printing. what printer do you use and do you recommend it or any other model?

thank you!

Frasic

I'm using a Qidi 3D printer (Flashforge Creator Pro clone) Great printer and has successfully printed the whole suit and is still ready for more. Great customer service from Qidi also. I'm sure there are much better printers but this is the one I took the dive on and haven't regretted it since. Thank you for your comment.

Another update. I pretty much had to scrap Do3d's upper back piece and build my own from scratch using styrene. Reason being is because the original abdomen section is way to small. I'm right around 6ft 185lbs 33 inch waist and it had to be upscaled quite a bit to fit moderately well, I figured this out after printing everything the first time and had to reprint.. After upscaling the back piece, the upper part of it bows out/sticks out too much in the back and won't fit within the chest and back piece armor. I didn't mind building it because now it's more accurate :). Thought I would share a few photos of the build process and is pretty much what I've been doing with the smaller details I've added or rebuilt. Enjoy.

Still have to do body work and smooth everything out but I'm happy the major work is done,

https://flic.kr/p/VbC5fv
More to come....

Last edited:

Can't believe I missed this thread until now... I'll be following with great interest. Awesome work!

Another update. I pretty much had to scrap Do3d's upper back piece and build my own from scratch using styrene. Reason being is because the original abdomen section is way to small. I'm right around 6ft 185lbs 33 inch waist and it had to be upscaled quite a bit to fit moderately well, I figured this out after printing everything the first time and had to reprint.. After upscaling the back piece, the upper part of it bows out/sticks out too much in the back and won't fit within the chest and back piece armor. I didn't mind building it because now it's more accurate :). Thought I would share a few photos of the build process and is pretty much what I've been doing with the smaller details I've added or rebuilt. Enjoy.

Still have to do body work and smooth everything out but I'm happy the major work is done,

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm141/yloves_jj/d4e5fb1c-b0c8-4fcd-8725-fc8145d9eaf5.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm141/yloves_jj/IMG_6130.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm141/yloves_jj/IMG_6132.jpg

More to come....

Chris, all I'd known of your work before this thread (which I've loved following) is your terrific hero Ghostbusters proton pack shell, which I've had a few cats of here to appreciate in person. This is a whole 'nother level of impressive - so much less information and legwork has been done in advance on this piece (even considering the base 3D model you purchased); there's less reference available; the shapes are so much more complex. I'm so impressed with your work on this! On that last note on shape though: Will you have to "balloon" this new styrene part in some way? Add curvature, contouring, a bit of concavity? If so, how will you approach that with the styrene in a precise, symmetrical way? Would it not have been easier to model & print it like the rest of the suit? Certainly not criticizing or giving you advice, just curious about your process because you're clearly kind of brilliant... Great work, man!

Chris, all I'd known of your work before this thread (which I've loved following) is your terrific hero Ghostbusters proton pack shell, which I've had a few cats of here to appreciate in person. This is a whole 'nother level of impressive - so much less information and legwork has been done in advance on this piece (even considering the base 3D model you purchased); there's less reference available; the shapes are so much more complex. I'm so impressed with your work on this! On that last note on shape though: Will you have to "balloon" this new styrene part in some way? Add curvature, contouring, a bit of concavity? If so, how will you approach that with the styrene in a precise, symmetrical way? Would it not have been easier to model & print it like the rest of the suit? Certainly not criticizing or giving you advice, just curious about your process because you're clearly kind of brilliant... Great work, man!

Thanks Doug! Really appreciate the comments and support. Your pretty much right in everything you said. Luckily I was able to stumble upon some really good reference material from the original suits which has been more then helpful in this whole procedure. This is definitely much more complex then a proton pack but thankfully I don't have to build the whole suit from scratch and I have a great base to work with.

I'm really trying to choose my battles with this build and not be as crazy as I was when building my proton packs in the past :). When I built my proton pack shell all I had in mind was that I wanted to build the best and most accurate shell ever and I was willing to do anything it took to make it happen. In which you did an amazing job bringing my shell to life with your Venkman build. In the GB community we have a vast amount of reference material and especially during the time when I built my shell, so there really was no excuses to not achieve the goal I set out for. With this project I'm trying to have a little more fun and not be to consumed with having to be accurate on every little detail so I'm just kind of picking and choosing what I want to do and not to do. I feel I have a little more leeway and freedom when redoing certain things.

As for the styrene piece- No worries Doug feel free to ask anything you like, on the original suit this particular piece is pretty much vertical and doesn't have too much contour or bubble other then shaping around the waist of the actor. The original midsection was latex foam rubber so it did look like it had just a slight puffiness to it. Most of this piece will be covered by the back piece of armor. I decided to go with styrene because its just fun to work with and it lets me keep up my skills with it a bit :). But also if I had modeled this piece it would have probably took me a week to print and then I would have to super glue all the pieces and do a lot more body work because of the print lines. Styrene is smooth and much stronger then a 3D printed piece. It only took me 5 hours or so to build this so it was also more time efficient.

are you using the stock D03D scale on any of these? I am finding that the parts for the hands are really small. I do not have a large hand by any means and my test part of the thumb barely fits my pinky.

are you using the stock D03D scale on any of these? I am finding that the parts for the hands are really small. I do not have a large hand by any means and my test part of the thumb barely fits my pinky.

front abs/cod/back abdomen had to be upscaled quite a bit.
Gloves/fingers also had to be upscaled.
Calves/shins also had to be upscaled.

Those are everything that had to be upscaled to fit me MODERATELY well or good enough to wear. You'll have to upscale according to your own size though.

Ok thanks. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me. I am upscaling the fingers and testing them now. I did helmet and chin parts at 100% and they fit me near perfect.

Another update. I wanted to show how butchered the arm gets before adding in new details to help those who might consider doing these particular modifications. You can kind of see the process on how everything comes together, you might have to fill in a couple small blanks. Extremely tedious and time consuming but well worth the work. Enjoy.

Of course it still needs body work but all the major modifications are complete. Most of the missing details were built again with styrene and a couple 3d printed details for the knobs. Here it is first butchered.

Now with the details added in

Last edited:

Just saw the buildup of the back of the arm - not sure how good your reference is for this piece, but I couldn't help but notice the similarity to a found item... Any chance the original builders incorporated this knob into the back of the upper right arm?

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 11.55.11 AM.png

Just saw the buildup of the back of the arm - not sure how good your reference is for this piece, but I couldn't help but notice the similarity to a found item... Any chance the original builders incorporated this knob into the back of the upper right arm?

View attachment 738026

That's funny you mention it because when I came to trying to find out how to do this detail the first thing I did was look up all kinds of knobs on Ebay hoping to score because that's what I initially assumed the creators might have used. After a bit of research and finding out most of the suit was actually sculpted by Rob Bottin I figured it was probably not a found part, but it still could be possible.

Here are a couple pics of the screen used suit to compare

Looks to be some kind of reuleaux triangle with cut of ends. I was just trying to get close enough on the part. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back