3D printed Robocop suit 1987 build- COMPLETE

pchrisbosh1

Hello everyone, this is my first post so I guess I should kind of introduce myself before getting into the meat. My name is Christopher and over the years I've primarily been into building Ghostbusters props over on GBFans.com.
35677192216_8a5088d41c_c.jpg

After building a few proton packs and getting somewhat decent at it, I thought I would take on the venture of finally being able to put together a moderately decent Robocop suit. I bought a Hansing suit years ago and was pretty disappointed with it in terms of quality and ended up selling it. Since it's probably the closest thing out there in terms of a Robocop suit that somewhat looks the part I did regret selling it and thought I would probably never be able to own one again. Those suits have become more scarce and scarce throughout the years and when someone does pop up with one they want to sell it near 5 grand.

With that aside DO3D has finally taken on the challenge of doing a classic Robocop suit.
35329845580_22a05ba33e_z.jpg

I recently got their 3D files and decided to take on the adventure of printing it and putting it together. The suit is not completely movie accurate but they did do a great job for a first attempt and when done will look pretty close to the real deal. It's going to be a fantastic base to work with and add in the details I desire. I'm confident in the end it will be a great looking Robocop suit.

I've been kind of lurking watching TKCC71's Mark 46 Iron Man build http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=258016 with DO3D files and that has been a huge inspiration on taking on this endeavor. He's done an amazing job and I can't believe how amazing that suit is coming out. So I have to give thanks because I probably would not have attempted this if I hadn't seen his build.

A lot of the pieces are going to have to be sliced to make them printable but Netfabb does a great and easy job in that area so it shouldn't be a problem. I don't plan on selling these or making molds at this point. I will probably just fiberglass the pieces I clean up, print and put together. It's going to be an adventure in itself just trying to figure out how to get these pieces placed on the print bed the proper way so they will print out half way decent.
35585695771_607d58493e_z.jpg

I'm going to be printing with Simplify3D with PLA probably around .1700mm layer height. Here's a sneak peak of a chest piece done in ABS.
35329499820_a6468b9215_c.jpg

This is was just a test piece to see the quality of the files. So far so good, I think it came out great. I'll be doing the rest of the suit in PLA because it's far less finnicky and easier to print with. This is probably going to be a long project but I'll try to update regularly on my progress.

Last edited:
Re: 3D printed Robocop suit 1987 build

I'm impressed it printed your test piece's overhang without need for support so cleanly!

Any idea what it will cost to print the whole suit?

I estimate based on TKCC71's ironman build so far he's used around 8-10 rolls just on the upper half of the body so with all the trial and error it's probably going to be around 20 rolls give or take. At the price I get my filament it looks to be around $300.00 or more just on filament. That doesn't include paint, sandpaper, filler, primer, and various other materials that will be needed. Considering how much these suits have sold over the years I would say that's a pretty reasonable amount of funds if you already own a printer. But it will definitely take some talent and patience cleaning these pieces up and getting them all together. This isn't going to be a walk in the park that's for sure.

Cant wait to see the results, I would love a helmet to add to my collection.

Gerardo

did you have to buy the files? looks great so far?
Yes you must purchase the files directly from DO3D

Thanks for the comments guys!

Here is picture of a printed foot before clean up. This is another test piece printed with cheap filament. I'll be reprinting with better quality filament when it comes in. I think is came out pretty good, the details are crisp.
35548460822_af5cc227d7_z.jpg

35548464312_2c8f2f5a7f_z.jpg

Here is the foot re-worked a tid bit. I was really testing the waters with this piece, just trying to figure out what method I'm going to use to get the parts somewhat smooth and how well I could work with the PLA to fix slight inaccuracies. I wasn't going for perfection since I'm going to reprint it but with the amount of work I put into the piece, it still came out pretty good.

34876027114_70b87abdaf_z.jpg

35717328715_47c10e6214_z.jpg

Last edited:

looks great, can you PM me what you had to pay for the files please. May have to do this. Im also hoping to mold a very accurate helmet soon that may save you some work.

Subscribing to this. That foot looks awesome, you should have an excellent suit on your hands if all the parts come up like that.

Manukaman, you got any pics of the helmet?

Here is the foot re-worked a tid bit. I was really testing the waters with this piece, just trying to figure out what method I'm going to use to get the parts somewhat smooth and how well I could work with the PLA to fix slight inaccuracies. I wasn't going for perfection since I'm going to reprint it but with the amount of work I put into the piece, it still came out pretty good.

What method did you end up using to smooth things out?

What method did you end up using to smooth things out?
I start with primer filler, and then use Bondo glazing spot putty for the rough spots, then sand with 150 and 220 to start smoothing it out and finish with 320. You just keep repeating this process until you have your desired finish. I also use a sculpting epoxy putty to fill in large gaps and holes then smooth that out with sandpaper.

Here's a finished foot, just went ahead and painted it for fun.
35547863592_288204341e_z.jpg

35716705775_d3590fc681_z.jpg

35716690255_6ae9acdaca_z.jpg

35585696371_91fd01ffd8_z.jpg
https://flic.kr/p/WdzZKa

Last edited:

Cool, that's pretty much what I've been doing to my printed parts but I guess I need to repeat the process more. Yours turned out great!

Any more progress?

Will this be a wearable costume? Can a foot actually fit in that printed foot. Opening looks small.

I'm still going at it. Here is the chest about 65% done. I still want to do some modifications and add some things to make it a bit more accurate.

34875398734_18ed6f7908_z.jpg
34875399324_01dd3b8464_z.jpg

35547866212_52aca72fec_z.jpg

Started to print the helmet and put it together, still needs quite a bit of clean up but here is the starting phase. I think the font printed out very good, I was a little worried it wasn't going to print good.
34875398134_31d2e5d7bc_z.jpg

35547864612_280b89b3ed_z.jpg

I also started printing the back piece which is almost done, I'm kind of all over the place right now but I do have a method to my madness. All comments welcome.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back