3D printed Robocop suit 1987 build- COMPLETE

Re: 3D printed Robocop suit 1987 build

I am just starting to print my suit now and I am starting with the helmet after purchasing all my files from Do3d. I am definitely finding it challenging trying to find the best way to slice the files for wear-ability and efficient prints. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I hope my suit turns out as well as yours! Amazing work!

https://www.netfabb.com/blog/netfabb-basic-now-just-netfabb

About colors on film VS. in real life........

A guy paints a prop for a movie. The prop gets shot under various lighting with various filters thus changing the hue and tone. Now we try to recreate the paint job from photos, references on the net. Problem is the reference photos are distorted by the camera, the monitor you are viewing, you own eye and ......time as UV damage has taken a toll.

Some decisions have to be made. So you want the piece to be Prop accurate, Screen accurate, etc.

Personally, I want the prop to match what I see on screen. If I held the original prop next to my creation it would not match.....at all. But my brain has been trained to see a certain version that is eye correct. Thats the version I go for.

With all that said. I would gather as much reference pics of the original suit with what it look like on screen and do a blend. Seems like the onscreen version is a toned down rainbow. Thats what I would strive to achieve.

The best is you have pics with a colorchart...but thats very rare.;)

29870656sh.jpg

About the Robosuit: I would say in Robocop 1 it was more silver with purple.But in Robocop 2 it was a lot more blue over the silver.I prefer the look from the first movie.

I went back to the chest and reworked the vent on the right upper side of the chest. The original vent wasn't engraved properly and the vents were too skinny compared to the original. Went ahead and redid by hand and engraved it properly to look like the original piece. The vents are eventually going to be cut out and house a speaker behind them for the sound.

This is how it looked originally, just not right
IMG_5505 by pchrisbosh1, on Flickr

This is how it looks now...

thx, Netfabb(expensive) looks a bit more robust than mesh mixer ;) I guess what I'm really after is seeing which pieces are fused together and which ones separate and how they connect together when your putting the suit on?

thx, Netfabb(expensive) looks a bit more robust than mesh mixer ;) I guess what I'm really after is seeing which pieces are fused together and which ones separate and how they connect together when your putting the suit on?

What you want to use is Netfabb basic for cutting, it's probably the most efficient tool for cutting up the pieces. I can't tell you exactly how to print or cut them up that just comes with the learning curve when it comes to 3D printing.

When your suit is pieced together and complete you'll have to connect the armor with buckles, nylon webbing, and or aluminum brackets. I'd really do my research around the web and see how other types of armor are put together I.E. Stormtrooper, Iron Man, Halo etc.... it will be very similar.

I wouldn't recommend this if your just a beginner and have little build experience. This is a difficult project that requires a lot of technique, experience and know how. I couldn't have done this without previous build experience. Some people are getting frustrated with these files because they think it's going to come to them the way it looks in my thread and just be an easy peasy job, that in all reality is just not going to happen.

These files should only be looked at as a base and/or template that could be a great Robocop suit if you know how to work with your hands.

Last edited:

Had to fix some uneven fin placement I noticed on the arms of the original model. I just cut one fin off and reattached to have them spaced out properly. I also sharpened up the fins to look more like the real arm. Also added in the screw detail and the rest of the details to both arms.

I also modeled this display logo I'll be using for my statue once the suit is finished.

This is in the works right now. These needed some mods to fit right and i'll be adding in some missing details,

Last edited:

Fantastic work you're pulling off with the suit!!! And those calves are gorgeous:cool

Chris, Peter Weller is going to be nearby at Rhode Island Comic Con. I'm going to go in order to get an auto from Robert Englund, but don't have any other reason to be there - I'd be happy to get in the queue for Weller before I go, if you'd like something signed by him. I love having relevant autos in my props, in a discreet way. I put Murray's signature inside your shell, when I built that Venkman pack for Art, and I'll be doing that again with the next pack. I'll have Englund sign the inside of the Freddy glove, through the hole in the palm. If you'd like to send over a printed piece you'll be incorporating, I could have him sign it, or I could have him sign something flexible, a photo or a small piece of paper, which you could mount inside once you're done. Shoot me a PM if you're interested!

Chris, Peter Weller is going to be nearby at Rhode Island Comic Con. I'm going to go in order to get an auto from Robert Englund, but don't have any other reason to be there - I'd be happy to get in the queue for Weller before I go, if you'd like something signed by him. I love having relevant autos in my props, in a discreet way. I put Murray's signature inside your shell, when I built that Venkman pack for Art, and I'll be doing that again with the next pack. I'll have Englund sign the inside of the Freddy glove, through the hole in the palm. If you'd like to send over a printed piece you'll be incorporating, I could have him sign it, or I could have him sign something flexible, a photo or a small piece of paper, which you could mount inside once you're done. Shoot me a PM if you're interested!

Thanks for the offer Doug that is very kind of you but I would hate to make anything inconvenient for you. I did model up this plaque for fun that he could possibly sign....what do you think?
sign plaque by pchrisbosh1, on Flickr

Great work pchrisbosh1. I know the hard work and long hours it takes to do somthing like that, so I truly appreciate your work in term of your determination. Also quality of your work is superb. You are realy playing with it:). I would like to ask what glue do you use for PLA. I have tried a few so I am curiouse what works for you. Keep up the good work.

I reckon that plaque is a great idea. Maybe remove the "approved by" words and have that flat part for the signature. I'd hate for you to go to the effort and have him refuse to sign it because he hasn't actually 'approved', or even seen it.

Great work pchrisbosh1. I know the hard work and long hours it takes to do somthing like that, so I truly appreciate your work in term of your determination. Also quality of your work is superb. You are realy playing with it:). I would like to ask what glue do you use for PLA. I have tried a few so I am curiouse what works for you. Keep up the good work.

Thank you very much for the kind compliments. The glue I use for gluing my PLA pieces is this product http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-O...304844&hash=item3d273f8b3b:g:E4YAAOSwtJZXUjm9

I've used this for years and years. I glued pieces together over 5 years ago that are still glued together with this stuff so it does a pretty good job. The main thing that people have to keep in mind when trying to glue PLA pieces together is you absolutely must SAND all your edges before gluing with 150 or 220 grit sandpaper. If you sand before gluing this makes an incredibly strong bond. If you don't sand the pieces it doesn't adhese properly. So please sand all your edges before using any kind of super glue on your parts. I also recommend fiberglassing the back of all your pieces for added support. Hope that helps you out sir.

Almost done. All the major modifications are finally finished! Next step is to fiberglass the armor and finish the body work and smooth everything a bit more. After that I'll make it wearable with buckles, straps, brackets etc.... Then paint.

Here's a sneak preview, this is just a loose fitting on clothes and pillows :).

Added some missing details to the shins. This was a more difficult part then I expected. Alot of work went into these.

Incredible build. Can't wait to see this suit finished and "in action". If you wear this at a con, they should at least give you free entrance ;).

It must be a lot lighter than the original, right? Is PLA pretty light? I don't think I've ever heard of that before.

If it is, I bet Peter Weller would've killed for such technology back in the 80s.

Incredible build. Can't wait to see this suit finished and "in action". If you wear this at a con, they should at least give you free entrance ;).

Thanks for the comments and yes that thought would be nice but probably unlikely :).

It must be a lot lighter than the original, right? Is PLA pretty light? I don't think I've ever heard of that before.

If it is, I bet Peter Weller would've killed for such technology back in the 80s.

Actually it might be a little heavier. The PLA is pretty thick in some areas and in addition to that I'll be fiberglassing many of the parts which will add weight. It won't be ridiculously heavy but it probably won't be the most comfortable suit to wear. The original was resin backed in fiberglass from what I recall so it will be similar.

Here is a couple pics in darker lighting I thought brought some of the shapness of the details out more,

this is so sick. love it man!!!
i just want to point out 1 detail. The inner side of the bicep. On your build they looked massive to me, so i searched for a pic from the movie.
i found this.
Bildschirmfoto 2017-08-21 um 11.18.36.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back