3D printed Robocop suit 1987 build- COMPLETE

Re: 3D printed Robocop suit 1987 build

Thank you again guys for your support. I went ahead and decided to tackle the left arm. I figured I would take on the hardest part first. This I believed was going to be the hardest part of the suit to modify and straighten out to look a lot more like what you see on screen and I was definitely right. This was a really hard piece to work on, it was missing tons of detail compared to the other parts of the suit. Pretty much all the lines, vents, etc... were just not there. The model had holes in it, jagged lines, bad geometry etc... So I basically de-mantled the whole entire piece once printed and used it as a base to add in all the detail i desired. All the pieces that were removed were built from scratch using styrene.

It's still not completely finished, i still need to add in the screw detail, a couple other details, and give it another sanding or two but for the most part I think it looks pretty awesome. Enjoy,.....

More to come. I'm doing all the heavy modifications first on every piece of armor, then I'll be fiberglassing everything. After fiberglassing I'll go ahead and do all the major body work, make it wearable and then paint.

Last edited:

Wow, so all those lines/gaps/circles aren't actually lines in the print, they're gaps between sheets of styrene? Amazing work.

Wow, so all those lines/gaps/circles aren't actually lines in the print, they're gaps between sheets of styrene? Amazing work.

Thanks, sounds about right. Each line was tediously drilled out with a small bit, compromising the integrity of the print. After each line was drilled out all the lines were filed smoothed with needle files, then backed with styrene. Some of the areas were resculpted with sculpting putty. What you see in the pics has taken me over a week to do and its still unfinished. It's definitely not for the faint at heart but if you want decent lines there really isn't any other way around it. Using a dremel cutting disc is definitely a NO-GO for nice lines in a 3D print atleast for a piece as intricate as this one.

Last edited:

Truly amazing work. I noticed the missing lines also. It is a little annoying that the creator didn't add these lines, especially when you look at the cost.

You didn't have a raw 'before' pic, did you?
I don't have a raw pic of it in it's broken state, I apologize. When I tackle the right arm I'll be doing something similar. It wont be as much work as the left arm was but It's going to get cut up quite a bit.

Here's the progress of the modifications on the left leg. It needed quite a bit of work. I felt the legs were going to be the next hardest piece to modify so I went ahead and went to work on the left leg. The model was missing quite a bit of details and had a funny big lip on the end of the leg near the knee. I went ahead and removed the lip and rebuilt it to more closely match the screen used leg.

It still needs quite a bit of smoothing and body work but the major modifications are done at this point. It also still needs the screw detail added in but I'll probably do all the screw detail last on all the pieces once everything is done.

35547909982_ddfb2c9032_c.jpg

35677138456_f8ee4a6047_c.jpg

35677139506_67ff59f1e8_c.jpg

35547913322_09a020bdef_c.jpg

35329589310_f9d58d67db_c.jpg

35329589820_34d3a01de3_c.jpg

35547917672_d6b9c7ce20_c.jpg

35329590670_f464aa6e91_c.jpg

35547920452_3c2eb588b8_c.jpg

Last edited:

Awesome work man. If you painting skills are as good as you work up to this point......this gonna be THE Robocop suit.

Very cool! May I ask how much is this costing you to do?

Thanks! If you already have a printer, it will probably run you around 400-500$ in filament plus purchasing the files from Do3d and all your clean up materials bondo, putty, sandpaper, dremel bits etc....etc....

To be quite honest to anyone who is thinking of purchasing this suit or any other suit for that matter, it's going to take a lot more then money and a 3d printer to finish the suit. I'm not trying to discourate you or anyone else I just want you to know what to expect when taking on an endeavor like this.

The most important factor is the determination and will to complete what you start because printing is really the easiest part. The hardest part is having the determination and will to sit down for hours and hours upon a time and tediously and meticulously glue and weld all the parts together. Then you have to do all the clean up and modification work. Then you have to reinforce the parts somehow and even still you'll have to make it wearable. So please to anyone considering this it will be a mountain of work and at times it will feel like your only chiseling a very small amount of that stone mountain.

This Robocop suit is far from perfect, It's not as popular as the iron man suits that are around now so it really didn't get the attention to detail as the other more popular culture icons have that Do3d sells. There really isn't a lot of Robocop reference either so considering what they were able to find they didn't really do too bad of a job. So depending on how good you want the suit to look and your skill level expect a huge mountain of work and time.

It's been over 7 months now and I'm nowhere near done. I'm closer but still have quite a bit of work. Here is the left cuff with it's finished modifications,

Last edited:

Yes, you're right, not as popular as Iron Man (and all the material/pics available here and elsewhere)...you're doing a great job at it (details wise) and the final result will be the bomb, no doubt!!

Your build really helps detail wise. Really awesome! Do you have specific pictures you use for reference?

Your build really helps detail wise. Really awesome! Do you have specific pictures you use for reference?

Thanks glad to help. Yes I have two huge folders full of some rare reference pics of screen used parts, various pics and lots of HD reference pics from the movies. A lot of pictures became available when development began for the Barton statue and bust which was built from various screen used parts from the films so I've kind of accumulated a lot of these pictures. They've been a huge help in the process.

Each suit has slightly different minute details from film to film so it takes a lot of cross referencing for personal preference. I'm trying to go as Robo 1 as possible but even some of the suits from scene to scene in the first film differ.

Would you maybe be willing to share some of those pictures and the extra parts you printed?

I know you guys are probably sick of seeing the chest piece by now but I felt compelled to modify one of the details even when I told myself I wasn't going to touch the chest anymore. The chest to me is one of the most important pieces of the suit so I really want it to look as close as possible to the real thing.

The valve detail on the lower left on the original file was way too small for my taste so I went ahead and cut it out and rebuilt the whole detail with styrene from scratch. Looks much more screen accurate now.

Also went ahead and printed the Auto-9, came out great.

That's it for now, more to come.

Last edited:

I know you guys are probably sick of seeing the chest piece by now but I felt compelled to modify one of the details even when I told myself I wasn't going to touch the chest anymore. The chest to me is one of the most important pieces of the suit so I really want it to look as close as possible to the real thing.

The valve detail on the lower left on the original file was way too small for my taste so I went ahead and cut it out and rebuilt the whole detail with styrene from scratch. Looks much more screen accurate now.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm141/yloves_jj/IMG_6102.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm141/yloves_jj/IMG_6103.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm141/yloves_jj/IMG_6106.jpg

Also went ahead and printed the Auto-9, came out great.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm141/yloves_jj/IMG_6104.jpg

Ya know what I AM sick of??................

NOT seeing your amazing suit in my collection!:)

it is going to be THE BOMB when it is done!

- - - Updated - - -

oh yeah!....

and that gun rocks!!!!:D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back