3D printed Robocop suit 1987 build- COMPLETE

Re: 3D printed Robocop suit 1987 build

All in one piece? I didn't think flexible filament was THAT flexible?
No, I'll be printing in 3 different sections (Forearm, palm, fingers). The soft PLA i'll be using is really flexible almost like rubber but still has a plastic touch to it. The models are so thin it shouldn't be a problem and should be flexible enough to wear and play the part.

The biggest problem will probably be finding the right temp and speed to print it at that it will come out half way decent. I'll have an update on it soon, I'll probably be printing the gloves over the weekend.

I'm also thinking of re-printing the midsection in soft PLA which I had to rescale anyways because of it being undersized.

Here is the whole left leg printed and glued together. The pieces of course still need to be finished, and there is some extra details I want to add to them but overall a great base to work with. I'm starting to print the right leg as we speak and the printer is pretty much going 24/7 at this point. Hoping to have everything printed in a couple weeks so I could start the overhaul/clean up process.

34875411894_3c3fdd2733_z.jpg

34875412824_c047246dc7_z.jpg

Flex PLA for the gloves was a no-go, it was flexible but not enough to make it wearable. I'm going to just print the glove in PLA and make it work similar to how an iron man glove works. I might make a mold later and cast in latex but that's in the maybe category at this point. More progress to come soon.

Last edited:

"A good base to work on":eek What do you mean...it's a great base to work on:cool Too bad for the gloves...I think you're right to make them like the ones on an Iron Man costume.

Great so far! I saw you cut out a piece of the foot. I noticed that the movie suit has this too and you can move your foot way better.

This is stunningly beautiful. That chest piece damn near brought a tear to me eye!

Looking great! It is just fantastic what we can do with 3d files and a printer now. The level of detail and solid construction is just so amazing.

Looking great! It is just fantastic what we can do with 3d files and a printer now. The level of detail and solid construction is just so amazing.

Took the word right out of my mouth. As an oldtimer, We have come along way from hitting pause on a VCR.

Thank you guys for all the comments. Still trying to get the rest of the suit printed should be done sometime within the next few weeks. I'm also going to be working on sound for the suit, I really want to replicate the sounds as they were portrayed in the film. I'm pulling all the best sounds from Robo 1 and 2.

Great so far! I saw you cut out a piece of the foot. I noticed that the movie suit has this too and you can move your foot way better.

Yeah I cut that out by hand with a Dremel and some putty work, also did a few other modifications to make it a lil more accurate. It does and should definitely help with the foot/shin movements.

Last edited:

Thank you guys for all the comments. Still trying to get the rest of the suit printed should be done sometime within the next few weeks. I'm also going to be working on sound for the suit, I really want to replicate the sounds as they were portrayed in the film. I'm pulling all the best sounds from Robo 1 and 2

I was thinking about that too! I was searching on the net for sound fx from robocop, but couldn't find much. I guess the only option is to rip them from the movies. I have a few arduino controllers lying around that I want to use.

Please do a run on this when finished! I would like to put my name down on any potential list for one please

I was thinking about that too! I was searching on the net for sound fx from robocop, but couldn't find much. I guess the only option is to rip them from the movies. I have a few arduino controllers lying around that I want to use.

Thank you guys for the comments. Here's a video demo of how the suit is going to run in the suit. The start up sound at the beginning of the video will also be the start up sound effect of the suit when turned on and the hum will also play in the background while the other sound effects play when walking/turning (Conveying how it was in the film). This is pretty much exactly how it will sound when everything is wire up correctly in the suit except it will be much louder, I'll probably also add a couple more sound fx later like the over the top door opening sounds in the first film etc.... Hope you guys enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haven't checked this thread in a long while. Looking really great so far. Crazy the stuff you can do with a 3d printer.
But really makes you appreciate how they did it in the 80s I bet.

Haven't checked this thread in a long while. Looking really great so far. Crazy the stuff you can do with a 3d printer.
But really makes you appreciate how they did it in the 80s I bet.

Thanks. It's true 3D printing is fun and i'm thankful I could finally be able to own a decent Robocop suit because of it although I still have a lot of work to do with cleaning the suit up and making it look close to the real deal.

Thank you guys for the comments. Here's a video demo of how the suit is going to run in the suit. The start up sound at the beginning of the video will also be the start up sound effect of the suit when turned on and the hum will also play in the background while the other sound effects play when walking/turning (Conveying how it was in the film). This is pretty much exactly how it will sound when everything is wire up correctly in the suit except it will be much louder, I'll probably also add a couple more sound fx later like the over the top door opening sounds in the first film etc.... Hope you guys enjoy.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbskh9LlZxw&feature=youtu.be
Dude! how the hell did you come up with this? I swear to god this is going to be the coolest thing ever when its done. Im tripping out right now! well done!

Dude! how the hell did you come up with this? I swear to god this is going to be the coolest thing ever when its done. Im tripping out right now! well done!

Being around in the Ghostbusters prop community for quite a long time has definitely helped me go in the right direction with this. There are really good sound modules that are used to get full movie accurate sounds into a proton pack. I basically used the same idea but instead of using the module in a proton pack, i'll be putting it into the Robocop suit with the same concept. I pulled the sounds directly from the film and edited them atleast the best ones available.

I'm super excited to get this done. I'm almost more excited then I was nearly 8 years ago when first firing up a proton pack with live sound. I think this will be cooler since as far as I know it hasn't been done properly yet. Thanks for the support much appreciated.

Being around in the Ghostbusters prop community for quite a long time has definitely helped me go in the right direction with this. There are really good sound modules that are used to get full movie accurate sounds into a proton pack. I basically used the same idea but instead of using the module in a proton pack, i'll be putting it into the Robocop suit with the same concept. I pulled the sounds directly from the film and edited them atleast the best ones available.

I'm super excited to get this done. I'm almost more excited then I was nearly 8 years ago when first firing up a proton pack with live sound. I think this will be cooler since as far as I know it hasn't been done properly yet. Thanks for the support much appreciated.
Thats awesome, trust me, the pleasure is all mine. I seriously cant wait to see this.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back