3D printed Robocop suit 1987 build- COMPLETE

Re: 3D printed Robocop suit 1987 build

WOW this is looking fantastic that chest piece looks awesome!!!!!

GFollano

Thank you guys for the comments. I'm hoping to make this suit as wearable as possible when finished. I won't be offering any kits, this is just a fun personal project.

Following this with great interest! May be encouraging me to buy my first printer :)

Based on what you've printed so far, say Chest and Helmet, can you tell how much material/cost you'll go through and what sort of time you expect to be done?

After all the trial and error, failed prints, wasted material etc.... I'm guessing about 10 rolls of filament at $25.00 (I'm using Makergeeks filament and its been great so far) I'm sure some cheaper filaments would suffice but to each is own. So I'm assuming 250.00 just in filament for a whole suit. Probably add another 150.00 dollars more for misc materials such as sandpaper, filler primer, glazing putty, dremel bits, etc...

All in all you should be able to print a whole entire Robocop suit, clean it up yourself and have something that looks pretty close to the original for around $400.00. I'll be using different gloves and latex inserts from a member on Robocop archive which will cost just a bit more over that price range but if you stick to the original files that's probably what you'll be spending.

Compare that to a Hansing Robocop suit which cost around $2400.00 if you got it directly from him when they were available.

After all the trial and error, failed prints, wasted material etc.... I'm guessing about 10 rolls of filament at $25.00 (I'm using Makergeeks filament and its been great so far) I'm sure some cheaper filaments would suffice but to each is own. So I'm assuming 250.00 just in filament for a whole suit. Probably add another 150.00 dollars more for misc materials such as sandpaper, filler primer, glazing putty, dremel bits, etc...

All in all you should be able to print a whole entire Robocop suit, clean it up yourself and have something that looks pretty close to the original for around $400.00. I'll be using different gloves and latex inserts from a member on Robocop archive which will cost just a bit more over that price range but if you stick to the original files that's probably what you'll be spending.
Plus the 3d files which I've already spoken to D03D about. But still, that's pretty bloody good. And you can budget. A 'typical' armour style costume will cost $1000-$1500- upfront, all in one go. $25- every so often, print when you can, is a lot more budget friendly....

Just finished printing and assembling the back, I'll start doing the clean up after I print a few more things. Marked out with a sharpie the additional details I'm going to add for the back. Overall it came out pretty sharp. Next up is the arms and abs.

35547868852_581a91babf_z.jpg

35329564730_c0d7f71f67_z.jpg

Last edited:

Beautiful so far...are you going to print the abs the same way or with another material?

Looking great! Any updates? What printer are you using to print these pieces? You inspired me to watch the original again tonight. Still a great movie!

Here some more updates on the suit. I'm getting there slow and steady. Switched my filament to Hatchbox silver PLA which has been superior to all other filaments I've been using or should I say trying to use. Just wish I would have started using it initially on the suit but I guess the fun part about this process is that it's a learning game. Hatchbox PLA prints like butter, I highly recommend it to anyone into 3D printing and don't think I'll ever try to use any other kind of PLA.

Here is the progress pics. Did some modifications on the backpiece and added in some missing details,

Here are the abs/midsection, still need to assemble

Most of the upper body printed.

Here is the chest cleaned up and modified with missing details (done by hand).

https://flic.kr/p/VPXgE1
Current progress,

All comments welcome.

Last edited:

Wow. Looks so smooth! Amazing progress. You must have the printer going 24/7

So that chest, for example, is that in about 6 pieces like your Netfab pic on the first page?

Wow. Looks so smooth! Amazing progress. You must have the printer going 24/7

So that chest, for example, is that in about 6 pieces like your Netfab pic on the first page?
Thanks for the comment. I've been running the printer quite a lot but have had a lot of trial and error with bad filaments clogging, failing during prints, rescaling issues etc.... I probably would have been done by now but after the learning curve things are going much smoother. I actually ended up cutting the chest into 8 pieces which is better for my build volume and easier on my printer.

Great build! Your build inspired me to do a robocop also.

Thanks for the comments and glad to be an inspiration or motivation, if you ever have any questions or vice versa we could help each other out :). Although I have a little bit done, I don't even feel like I've even started yet. Since most of the work is actually going to be put into cleaning the pieces up and modifying them to make them a tad more accurate.

wow man, fantastic work so far! really can't wait to see how this all comes together!

Thanks for the comments and glad to be an inspiration or motivation, if you ever have any questions or vice versa we could help each other out :). Although I have a little bit done, I don't even feel like I've even started yet. Since most of the work is actually going to be put into cleaning the pieces up and modifying them to make them a tad more accurate.

More than happy to help. I would like to make mine as close to the real thing as possible. Your build is a great help with all those details.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back