3D printed Robocop suit 1987 build- COMPLETE

Very good job on that suit...and, as you've said, not a lot of mobility in that baby. Lot's of pieces to add to make it more "functional" but there's no need since it's going to be static.:cool

Thank you guys for your comments hope everyones enjoyed the journey as much as I have. It's been a pleasure working on it through the ups and downs but im sure glad its finished.

Incredible! :thumbsup

IIRC, it took a couple hours to bolt Peter Weller into the suit.

Can't blame you for deciding to make it a display piece. After all that work, any bit of damage would be heartbreaking. So you'll just need to build another "stunt version" so you can go around town and arrest people. :D

This is just incredible. I’m a huge fan and always wanted one and man I’m jealous.

Sent from my Starfleet-issue communicator

Here is some final pics of the suit on display. Hope you enjoy.

43554754140_fcd65e3d82_h.jpg

31495460528_ba56564242_h.jpg

Curious what did you use for the lens on the helmet? I’m gonna be starting this project in February and wondering what was used for the lens. Thanks!

Ps. The suit looks amazing!

I just wanted to share my newest addition to the suit. These are urethane casts that my buddy Keith Milbo made for me. They are cast in thin urethane to allow for more dexterity. I plan on making my suit more wearable in the future and these make a great addition.

47122756904_5cd29bee96_c.jpg

40945521633_fee96ce85b_c.jpg

46996160905_60f39b6c75_c.jpg

I've been doing some experimenting because I really want to wear this suit for Halloween this year and the problem I run into when wearing it is that the mid-section is way to solid to have any kind of decent mobility. I went ahead and tried some flexible pla filament to keep in line with the 3d printed theme of the suit instead of doing a silicone cast and molding in silicone which is far too expensive and time consuming. I wanted to see if I could get a similar result and actually be able to wear the suit.

Here is a couple photos of the front COD piece in flexible PLA and although it's not perfectly flexible it should allow me to move a tad more freely. The piece is really rough and still needs to be cleaned up but I'm hoping this will work great for the remainder of the midsection.
48767301457_39bedd72c6_c.jpg

48767102271_8e18ac44c5_c.jpg

I do have a roll of TPU but the problem I run into with it is that it is hard to glue multiple pieces together with a strong bond and even worse is trying to smooth it out with materials that won't bond to it and make it look clean. Flexible PLA is not as finnicky and it's almost as flexible as TPU. I could also still use the same materials I use to clean up my pieces. I just haven't tried using the flex pla on a large piece like this yet but it should be fine. Thanks for sharing.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back