Y-Wing Identification Thread

Here's a mystery pyro from Ep IV. It has similarities with Triangles in terms of the extra pipes from the head to the neck, but it also has a dark grey stripe on the side of the cockpit that triangles does not have.

mystery pyro on shooting stage collage 2 sized.jpgOn stage pyro collage.jpg

with table head.jpg

It table cockpit does look a lot like the Ladd cockpit, minus the yellow panel on the corner of the nose alright.

Yes, if you look at the gray stripe going down the side, and notice where the white chips are and check out the pixels of gray stripe in the image on the left they match.

Ok so are the parts on each y wing different?
Yes and No. They all use most of the same base kit parts, but can be arranged differently along the side walls from Y to Y. The bottoms of the all the Y's seem to be pretty similar. All of them have unique ad-dons and pipes throughout the ship. Some of the Y's are also casts. Not sure which ones (maybe MOM and Ladd). The bottom of Tie Killer looks like a cast to me also. Many of the details are soft kind of fade into the hull.

Last edited:
Here's something kind of interesting I only just noticed. There is a noticeable clean gap between the neck section of the Alan Ladd Y-Wings and the main fuselage. It appears the neck and head were removable so the rear section and engines could be filmed as a "rear view" to composite in behind the actor in a full scale cockpit set. The cut edges are extremely clean so this model was obviously built with this usage in mind and not chopped later. It would also explain why the forward fuselage is sitting alone towards the back of the table in that shot of all the models lined up in the modelshop.

Neck%20Gap%201_zpsvqjjcw34.jpg

Neck%20Gap%202_zpskfbuq8cb.jpg

There would be indications of glue on the ends of some of the parts if it had fallen apart. All the ends are clean on both sides. I recall a shot in ANH where there was a rear part of the model as the BG, I think someone posted a frame grab, but I can't find it.

Gold Leader (also known as "TIE Killer"). Survived ANH filming and was passed into private hands, for the most part untouched since filming. Was not available for the ESB or ROTJ production from what we can tell.
View attachment 659470
I'm a little confused regarding Gold Leader/Tie Killer.

I have seen pictures where it has a dark blast/smoke mark on the right side of the cockpit and some darker marks on the engine cans. But when I look at the pics in Chronicles I don't see those marks.

Are pics like the one above early production pics and the markings were added later after filming, or were they added during ESB/ROTJ, or were they added in some later restoration?

D5giPCE.jpg

I don't think it could simply be exposure since it looks darker than some of the other spots that you can see

Last edited:
Yea, you and me both! This got brought up on another thread and I refused to believe that Gold Leader was altered pre-production and Steve N. provided some screen grabs from ANH that showed the additional markings and made me a believer. Here is the image he posted showing the thick streak on the front.
goldleaderstripe.JPG

So I posed the question on Facebook but figured it would be a good question for this thread too. But what is the community consensus on which model was used for the ywing that survived the death star? The best guess on FB was the Gold Leader model.

So I posed the question on Facebook but figured it would be a good question for this thread too. But what is the community consensus on which model was used for the ywing that survived the death star? The best guess on FB was the Gold Leader model.

This doesn't answer it, but the top of page 128 of the new Star Wars Chronicles book (about the models of Episodes IV, V, and VI) offers us this interesting piece of information:

"The name of the pilot of Y-wing Starfighter Gold 3 is, even now, unknown. As of this writing (2016) in order to differentiate with “Legends” since April 2014 it is described as the Gold 7 Y-wing Starfighter of Keyan Farlander, who returned as the sole survivor of the Y-wing Gold Squadron after being shot down in the attack on the Death Star in the Battle of Yavin."

That was the name of the main character in the 1990s X-Wing PC game. They gave that mystery Y-Wing to him in its continuity (and thus the old EU).

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back