Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    usa
    Oct 12, 2016, 3:44 AM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #26

Yes, if you look at the gray stripe going down the side, and notice where the white chips are and check out the pixels of gray stripe in the image on the left they match.
    From
    Ireland
    Oct 12, 2016, 1:04 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #27

moffeaton said: View Post
    Yep, Ladd one.
    Attachment 671496
    they look like the lambs for the slaughter , i.e. All pyro models
  3. RPF Premium Member propcollector's Avatar
    Oct 13, 2016, 6:21 AM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #28

Ok so are the parts on each y wing different?
    From
    California
    Oct 13, 2016, 10:16 AM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #29

propcollector said: View Post
    Ok so are the parts on each y wing different?
    Yes and No. They all use most of the same base kit parts, but can be arranged differently along the side walls from Y to Y. The bottoms of the all the Y's seem to be pretty similar. All of them have unique ad-dons and pipes throughout the ship. Some of the Y's are also casts. Not sure which ones (maybe MOM and Ladd). The bottom of Tie Killer looks like a cast to me also. Many of the details are soft kind of fade into the hull.
    Last edited by kokkari; Oct 13, 2016 at 9:01 PM.
    From
    Southern California
    Nov 28, 2016, 4:31 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #30

Here's something kind of interesting I only just noticed. There is a noticeable clean gap between the neck section of the Alan Ladd Y-Wings and the main fuselage. It appears the neck and head were removable so the rear section and engines could be filmed as a "rear view" to composite in behind the actor in a full scale cockpit set. The cut edges are extremely clean so this model was obviously built with this usage in mind and not chopped later. It would also explain why the forward fuselage is sitting alone towards the back of the table in that shot of all the models lined up in the modelshop.

Nov 28, 2016, 5:25 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #31

Interesting idea. I'd thought it just fell apart at one point, being that it's a pyro I was thinking no armature.
    From
    Southern California
    Nov 28, 2016, 5:53 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #32

There would be indications of glue on the ends of some of the parts if it had fallen apart. All the ends are clean on both sides. I recall a shot in ANH where there was a rear part of the model as the BG, I think someone posted a frame grab, but I can't find it.
    From
    Jamison, Pennsylvania
    Dec 12, 2016, 12:19 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #33

moffeaton said: View Post
    Gold Leader (also known as "TIE Killer"). Survived ANH filming and was passed into private hands, for the most part untouched since filming. Was not available for the ESB or ROTJ production from what we can tell.
    Attachment 659470
    I'm a little confused regarding Gold Leader/Tie Killer.

I have seen pictures where it has a dark blast/smoke mark on the right side of the cockpit and some darker marks on the engine cans. But when I look at the pics in Chronicles I don't see those marks.

Are pics like the one above early production pics and the markings were added later after filming, or were they added during ESB/ROTJ, or were they added in some later restoration?

I don't think it could simply be exposure since it looks darker than some of the other spots that you can see
    Last edited by blakeh1; Dec 12, 2016 at 12:40 PM.
  9. Choosy moms choose Jif™ RPF Premium Member moffeaton's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Dec 12, 2016, 2:26 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #34

It was further weathered during ANH production - it has those extra marks on screen.
    From
    Jamison, Pennsylvania
    Dec 12, 2016, 3:03 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #35

Ah, that explains it! Thanks!

In a weird way, I kind of prefer the version without the extra markings
    From
    California
    Dec 12, 2016, 3:51 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #36

Yea, you and me both! This got brought up on another thread and I refused to believe that Gold Leader was altered pre-production and Steve N. provided some screen grabs from ANH that showed the additional markings and made me a believer. Here is the image he posted showing the thick streak on the front.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goldleaderstripe.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	690155
    From
    Jamison, Pennsylvania
    Dec 12, 2016, 4:22 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #37

Sure enough!
  13. Member Since
    May 2017
    Sep 20, 2017, 5:44 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #38

So I posed the question on Facebook but figured it would be a good question for this thread too. But what is the community consensus on which model was used for the ywing that survived the death star? The best guess on FB was the Gold Leader model.
  14. RPF Premium Member Studio Kitbash's Avatar
    From
    Wheaton, IL
    Oct 10, 2017, 6:24 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #39

SeanTX said: View Post
    So I posed the question on Facebook but figured it would be a good question for this thread too. But what is the community consensus on which model was used for the ywing that survived the death star? The best guess on FB was the Gold Leader model.
    This doesn't answer it, but the top of page 128 of the new Star Wars Chronicles book (about the models of Episodes IV, V, and VI) offers us this interesting piece of information:

"The name of the pilot of Y-wing Starfighter Gold 3 is, even now, unknown. As of this writing (2016) in order to differentiate with “Legends” since April 2014 it is described as the Gold 7 Y-wing Starfighter of Keyan Farlander, who returned as the sole survivor of the Y-wing Gold Squadron after being shot down in the attack on the Death Star in the Battle of Yavin."
    Oct 11, 2017, 9:40 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #40

That was the name of the main character in the 1990s X-Wing PC game. They gave that mystery Y-Wing to him in its continuity (and thus the old EU).
  16. Member Since
    May 2017
    Nov 3, 2017, 2:12 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #41

Yeah I had figured out his name. But if you add Keyan Farlander to any search it you go down the wrong rabbit hole.
  17. RPF Premium Member Studio Kitbash's Avatar
    From
    Wheaton, IL
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 13, 2017, 5:07 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #42

Star Wars Chronicles Episode IV, V, and VI - Vehicles
    Japanese Reference Book Translations of Relevant Y-Wing Pages
    (and some Yavin Hangar Bay pages)

p. 120
    The BTL Y-wing Starfighter is an older vehicle that was used in the Great Clone Wars, with a long history, and many improvements which resulted in many different model types being developed. It was manufactured at Koensayr Manufacturing. Overall length 16 meters. The Gold Leader ship was the lead ship of the Y-wing Gold Squadron at the Battle of Yavin and was flown by John "Dutch" Vander (photo inset left). It was shot down over the Death Star by Darth Vader's TIE Advanced x1.

Used by the Galactic Republic during the Great Clone Wars, the BTL-B Y-wing Starfighter's fuselage and engines were covered with armor and had an overall length of 23.4 meters.

p.121
    If you look carefully at this miniature Gold Leader craft you will note that the crew had a little fun by adding a TIE fighter “kill mark” to the tip of the vehicle. The photo below shows Dennis Muren preparing for filming.

p. 122
    On the Gold Leader miniature, there is a part of the fuselage that has become separated and this photo allow one to see that there was a provision for a support rod to be inserted from the front. Up until now researchers were aware of holes in the side and rear of the craft for support rods, but did not know of such a hole in the front.

p. 123
    Perhaps this photo was taken during filming, with the Gold Leader craft and the compositing ‘blue screen’ as a backdrop. The astromech droid(s) is/are, for some reason, all/completely different in the photo(s). [Due to the fact that the Japanese language has no indication of singular or plural, it is hard to understand what is being described from the context here.]

p.124
    A native of Onderon, Dex Tiree (photo at left) is the pilot of this Y-wing Starfighter. He served as wingman for the Gold Squadron Leader, but he was shot down by Darth Vader’s TIE Advance 1x. Dex’s full name was first presented in the 2015 publication of Ultimate Star Wars.

p. 125
    This page: Miniature Gold 2 photographed from multiple angles. One of the noticeable features is that many of the pipes running along the fuselage are rusting a red color. Since there is red cellophane on the engines it is thought that this miniature was set up for electric illumination.

p. 126
    The miniature Gold 2 was created for Y-wing close-ups, and if you look closely at the photograph you will note that on the lower part of the fuselage that the surface is uneven, and, as with the photo on page 122 part of the fuselage is separated and there appears to be a place for a supporting brace/rod.

p. 127
    As the inside of the engine nozzle has red cellophane it is believed that this model was electrically illuminated. Also, perhaps because it was a miniature used for close-ups, on both the upper and lower portions of the vehicle there are meticulously painted pipes in various colors.

p. 128 top
    The name of the pilot of Y-wing Starfighter Gold 3 is, even now, unknown. As of this writing (2016) in order to differentiate with “Legends” since April 2014 it is described as the Gold 7 Y-wing Starfighter of Keyan Farlander, who returned as the sole survivor of the Y-wing Gold Squadron after being shot down in the attack on the Death Star in the Battle of Yavin.

p. 128 middle
    This miniature Gold 3 did not appear on screen and is thought to have been preserved/kept as a spare.

p. 128 bottom
    As you can see, this miniature is not equipped with an astromech droid.

p. 129
    The two laser guns which were originally supposed to be installed in the front part of the vehicle were not there on the Gold 3 from the start. Due to the fact that, compared to the other models, the paint finish is rougher/less precise, and the number of pipes is fewer, this model may have been originally intended for use in explosion scenes.

p. 130
    This miniature model was photographed along with a scale/ruler. It was pressed into service for Episode 6 because it was the only remaining miniature Gold 3 that ILM had on hand. Because it had never had many pipes installed, numerous bent pipes were added, in rather sloppy fashion, and two laser guns were installed in the ‘nose’ of the craft.

p. 132
    A native of Dantooine, Davish “Pops” Krail (photo at right) pilots the Y-wing Starfighter which is shot down by Darth Vader’s TIE Advance 1x.

p. 133
    Left page. This page: Unlike others in the Gold Squadron, on the right and left side of the rear of this Gold 5 miniature has pipes added on to it. This is one of the last Starfighters to be shot down at the end of the film, so this miniature has not, until now, been featured in many publications.

p. 134 top
    At the point where the X-wing Squadron that would ultimately be the Red Squadron was designated the “Blue Squadron”, the Y-wings were not the Gold Squadron but the “Red Squadron.” One of the Y-wing miniatures with red markings was completed and sent to England, where it served as a reference for the artists who were at work creating the life-sized version on set at the studio. As a result, this miniature with the red pre-production/initial color scheme, is now preserved in the archives of Skywalker Ranch.

p. 134 middle
    Red Jammer miniature.

p. 134 bottom
    Lower left. Lower right: Photo of Red Jammer taken in August of 2011.

p. 135
    This page. Photo of the Red Jammer taken in May of 2006.

p. 137
    Left page. This page. Close-up shots of various miniatures. You can see how, having just completed the models, they are in the process very carefully painting it with a soiled, ‘dirty’ look.

p. 139
    Left page. This page. Continuation of the close-ups of the various parts. This photo of the right-side engine without bracing/strut/support is what it looked like when sent to England. Shortly after the revision in England the bracing/strut/support was added to the right engine. As a result, there are some differences between this and the mass production models of the Gold 3 and Gold 5.

p. 140
    This prototype Y-wing was produced by Colin Cantwell who had been involved in creating many prototype models over the years for the preliminary production planning for numerous projects, such as ‘2001 Space Odyssey.’ This model appears, with little apparent modification, in the concept art of the Rebel Alliance base created by Ralph McQuarrie

p. 141
    Up to page 143: Having successfully rescued Princess Leia and escaped from the Death Star the “Millenium Falcon” headed for the fourth moon of the Red Giant Yavin where the Rebel Alliance Base was located. However, because Imperial forces had placed a tracking device on the Falcon, the location of the base was revealed. Also known as the Massassi Outpost (garrison) the Rebel Alliance Base is situated in the ruins of what is thought to be the temples of the Massassi, a mysterious race of people. These pyramid shaped temples are scattered throughout the forest. (Until recently there was a description in Legends that “The Massassi people disappeared from Yavin 4 due to an incident 4,000 years ago,” but as of 2016 that has not been updated/revised.)

p. 141 middle
    Through page 143: The life-size set of the Rebel Alliance Base that was constructed in the Elstree Studio in England. One life-sized model each was created for X-wing and Y-wing and the fighters that appear behind that in the background are a painted backdrop. The scene in the completed film when Luke & co. arrive at the base was shown in reverse [some sort of photographic reversal process] (Please see upper right photo.)

p. 143
    The Red 1 craft that appears in these photos is the only life-sized X-wing fighter that was built for the film set. The scenes showing Luke Skywalker and all of the other pilots arriving at the base were all shot using this Red 1 craft.

p. 146 middle
    Life-sized Y-wing model. The cockpit and engine have been separated, and the support braces for the engine have not been used.

p. 146 bottom
    Having received his reward payment, Han Solo, with the Y-wing behind him, prepares to leave the base. As you can see, the details of the right side of the cockpit set have not been built. There is a different R2 unit supplied here than in the upper photo.
    From
    Singapore
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 16, 2017, 12:39 AM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #43

Thanks!
  19. Member Since
    May 2017
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 2:23 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #44

Interesting but contradictory. the entries on page 128 that unfortunately I can't see pics with out a copy but it says the one depicted as Gold 3 was flown by Keyan Farlander and survived the battle. But I guess its on the same page that this model was not used in the filming.

So with that loop the quest continues for the ID of the one from the final scene.
  20. RPF Premium Member Studio Kitbash's Avatar
    From
    Wheaton, IL
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 2:31 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #45

Interesting but contradictory. the entries on page 128 that unfortunately I can't see pics with out a copy but it says the one depicted as Gold 3 was flown by Keyan Farlander and survived the battle. But I guess its on the same page that this model was not used in the filming.

So with that loop the quest continues for the ID of the one from the final scene.

This should help:

Name:	SKMBT_C652-17091808360.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	774429
    From
    California
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 2:41 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #46

It was absolutely used in filming. 100% positive that it's in the top right corner of this shot. All the markings match perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  22. Member Since
    May 2017
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 4:57 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #47

Perhaps the author meant that model was not used in filming and was a duplicate?
  23. Member Since
    May 2017
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 5:12 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #48

But someone on facebook pointed out the black streak on the underside of the cockpit best matched Gold Leader.
    From
    California
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 5:19 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #49

But someone on facebook pointed out the black streak on the underside of the cockpit best matched Gold Leader.
    Which picture are you referring?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  25. Member Since
    May 2017
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 19, 2017, 6:38 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #50

Name:	21369092_10155844587257216_1266595580475670656_n.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	774492Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21433139_10155844508832216_3324405216422036904_n.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	774491