Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Choosy moms choose Jif™ RPF Premium Member moffeaton's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Aug 29, 2016, 8:29 PM - Y-Wing Identification Thread #1

Okay, let's get this forum into shape! Here's placeholders, for IDing all the Y-Wings out there. As we get better pics gathered, I can amend this first post, and make it more concise and comprehensive.

The first pass at a Y-Wing. Colin Cantwell, 1975.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cant.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	434.3 KB 
ID:	659468

The first ILM Y-Wing, December 1975. Red Leader (also known as "Red Jammer"), this model was sent in an incomplete state to Elstree for the prop builders to blueprint and mock up the 1:1 set piece. It was returned at some indeterminate point, finished, but as far as we know never saw screen time.

Name:	Library---1144.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	498.8 KB 
ID:	659469

Gold Leader (also known as "TIE Killer"). Survived ANH filming and was passed into private hands, for the most part untouched since filming. Was not available for the ESB or ROTJ production from what we can tell.

Name:	goldleader.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	855.4 KB 
ID:	659470

ILM Touring Hero Y-Wing (aka "red stripe blue artoo"). Has stayed in the archives since ANH, most likely was filmed after ANH?

Name:	prop_gal_yellow_ship-819x1024.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	267.6 KB 
ID:	659476

Triangles pyro (with the one above, in the foreground). Triangles was detonated at least once, with it's fragments recently sold at auction.

Name:	redbluetriangles.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	691.3 KB 
ID:	659477

Recently a photo of Triangles surfaced from Joe Johnston.

Name:	triangles1.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	249.8 KB 
ID:	659478

Alan Ladd Jr Y-Wing, aka "Tiger Sprockets". This ANH Y-Wing was gifted to Alan Ladd Jr after ANH wrapped, and now resides with the owner of Prop Store. This is perhaps the best preserved example of an ANH filming Y-Wing.

Name:	tigersprockets.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	667.0 KB 
ID:	659479

The Bill George ROTJ Y-Wing. Built by Mr George (apparently post ANH and some say it was part of his "portfolio" that got him a job at ILM), from very little reference, when he was a young man. Years later when he was on the ROTJ production, this personal model was pressed into service, and now is a permanent Archive resident. This is unlike ALL the other Y-Wings in dims and many parts, and has an R5 unit in the Droid socket.

Name:	rotj.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	560.5 KB 
ID:	659481

Random Pyro Y-Wings. Roughly cast as one piece chunks, roughly painted, and permanently mounted from the nose on black rods.

Name:	pyro.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	659482
    Aug 29, 2016, 8:31 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #2

SWEET. Now we're talking!

This is coming from my phone, expect errors.
    Aug 29, 2016, 8:46 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #3

Name:	IMG_2155.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	659485Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2156.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	659486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2158.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	659487
    This is one I took a shot of when the Science Exhibit came to Houston 5 years ago. Is this the Bill George? At first glance, the cockpit seems different, the saturn cans are missing the trademark plant-ons, and where the Italeri Howitzer part that runs across the main fuselage above the neck seems to be something different? Hope the ref pics at least come in handy!
    From
    Oxford,OH
    Aug 29, 2016, 8:50 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #4

WINGNIT said: View Post

Name:	IMG_2155.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	659485Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2156.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	659486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2158.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	659487
    This is one I took a shot of when the Science Exhibit came to Houston 5 years ago. Is this the Bill George? At first glance, the cockpit seems different, the saturn cans are missing the trademark plant-ons, and where the Italeri Howitzer part that runs across the main fuselage above the neck seems to be something different? Hope the ref pics at least come in handy!
    The different robot unit (in this case an R5) immediately makes this Y stand out as the Bill George yes. It's surprisingly awesome how well Bill crafted the Y at the time he did with such little reference and a similar use of detailing pieces!

I remember it being discussed in the "Green Leader ID thread" that the Red Jammer was not called the Red Leader I thought? From my understanding there, the "Red Leader" name was for that of an X-Wing from ANH. I'm happy to learn and understand the difference between all these Y's as reference and details arise! Thanks Jason for beginning this thread!
    Aug 29, 2016, 9:01 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #5

Big Dog said: View Post
    The different robot unit (in this case an R5) immediately makes this Y stand out as the Bill George yes. It's surprisingly awesome how well Bill crafted the Y at the time he did with such little reference and a similar use of detailing pieces!

I remember it being discussed in the "Green Leader ID thread" that the Red Jammer was not called the Red Leader I thought? From my understanding there, the "Red Leader" name was for that of an X-Wing from ANH. I'm happy to learn and understand the difference between all these Y's as reference and details arise! Thanks Jason for beginning this thread!
    That was my first thought! But I remember seeing pics of droids getting swapped. I might convert my 1/24 Y to this one. I do like the look!
    From
    Southern California
    Aug 29, 2016, 9:11 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #6

Glad to see a new reference thread going! It's been added to the One-Stop Y Sticky.
  7. Choosy moms choose Jif™ RPF Premium Member moffeaton's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Aug 29, 2016, 9:33 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #7

I think I just call it that, so I will amend to "Red Y-Wing" soon - thanks!

Big Dog said: View Post

8. RPF Premium Member swpropmaker's Avatar
    Aug 29, 2016, 9:54 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #8

Its Red Jammer! No matter what you call it!!! LOL
  9. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    Aug 30, 2016, 11:10 AM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #9

If i built the perfect gold leader really with all the dimps bumps and spots the whole shabang,..would this get me in any kind of throuble when i take pictures of it and share these online.
    Is there copyright on using the the designs like this aswell?
    Another example,.. am i allowed to build a revell x-wing and take pictures of it or display it then ask money to them who want to see it without breaking the law?
    Am i even allowed to display it?
    I 've read that a couple who lost their child wanted Winny the pooh chisseled on the headstone of the childs grave.
    The artist who did it for them was being sued by Disney for using the image and making money that way.
    ! dont know if this story is true or not but it sounds just like something mickey mouse would do(steamboat willie)
    Last edited by Voodoocaster; Aug 30, 2016 at 11:19 AM.
    From
    California
    Aug 30, 2016, 12:29 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #10

Voodoocaster said: View Post
    If i built the perfect gold leader really with all the dimps bumps and spots the whole shabang,..would this get me in any kind of throuble when i take pictures of it and share these online.
    Is there copyright on using the the designs like this aswell?
    Another example,.. am i allowed to build a revell x-wing and take pictures of it or display it then ask money to them who want to see it without breaking the law?
    Am i even allowed to display it?
    I 've read that a couple who lost their child wanted Winny the pooh chisseled on the headstone of the childs grave.
    The artist who did it for them was being sued by Disney for using the image and making money that way.
    ! dont know if this story is true or not but it sounds just like something mickey mouse would do(steamboat willie)
    I've toiled over the same thoughts. The logical explanation that I tell myself is that it's not the subject matter that's copyrighted, but the photos themselves. In this case, Neisen's team was given access to Gold Leader and they are his photos. I spent many years as a photographer and became very protective of my images. Granted, it was my income and living at the time.

Oh and along with that thinking, if someone were to post photos of Neisen's completed Gold Leader replica it would be perfectly acceptable, because it was displayed in a public place for all to see. The photographer would be the one to choose if it can be displayed.
    Last edited by kokkari; Aug 30, 2016 at 12:47 PM.
  11. Choosy moms choose Jif™ RPF Premium Member moffeaton's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Aug 30, 2016, 12:33 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #11

There is nothing stopping you from making a replica in all the exacting detail, warts and all, and sharing pics of it with the world. It's yours, through and through.
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Aug 30, 2016, 1:16 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #12

Here are my pics of Bill George when it came through Los Angeles a while back:

Name:	6305016762_12bf38bed9_z.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	159.4 KB 
ID:	659635

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jdecke...57669999540343
    From
    Ireland
    Aug 30, 2016, 2:39 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #13

My understanding of bill George y-Young was that they had dumped a y-wing during production which him and his mates found dumpster diving, he renovated it and then presented it during interview for ILM job, I don't know what was missing, but he gave it back to ILM as a filming model when they were short Y's I think . That's how it's touring now.
    Aug 30, 2016, 5:15 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #14

One way to ID the Bill George is the neck: he used the Monogram 8-Rad instead of the Tamiya.
  15. Choosy moms choose Jif™ RPF Premium Member moffeaton's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Aug 30, 2016, 6:22 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #15

Which Y fragment was it then, I wonder? We have pretty much tracked down all the Ys that they seemed to have built for ANH and his looks too good to be built off a pyro... I think he scratch built it?

I will ask!

Vacformedhero said: View Post
    My understanding of bill George y-Young was that they had dumped a y-wing during production which him and his mates found dumpster diving, he renovated it and then presented it during interview for ILM job, I don't know what was missing, but he gave it back to ILM as a filming model when they were short Y's I think . That's how it's touring now.
    From
    Helsinki
    Sep 5, 2016, 4:16 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #16

On the SW Blurays there is a short videoclip of the Y-wings, from which this screengrab is. It shows the Bill George Y-wing (fondled by big George here), the ILM Tour Y-wing (front left), the Red (under the glass below) and a couple of pyros (right). Left to the screengrab, visible in the video, is Lorne Peterson and the engine cone of one more pyro.

I think this kind of sums up all the different types of the Y-wing in one shot.

Last edited by Avanaut; Sep 5, 2016 at 4:29 PM.
    Sep 7, 2016, 9:53 AM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #17

Where's Lorne?
    From
    California
    Sep 7, 2016, 10:04 AM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #18

He's off to the left on the video. He didn't make it into this screen grab.
    From
    Ireland
    Sep 8, 2016, 12:18 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #19

moffeaton said: View Post
    Which Y fragment was it then, I wonder? We have pretty much tracked down all the Ys that they seemed to have built for ANH and his looks too good to be built off a pyro... I think he scratch built it?

I will ask!
    I found the reference , Sculpting a Galaxy page 29
    From
    Colorado
    Sep 10, 2016, 9:37 AM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #20

This may have already been answered at some point and i probably missed it, by does anyone know why Ladd parted with the Y given to him?
  21. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Oct 7, 2016, 9:41 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #21

Here's a mystery pyro from Ep IV. It has similarities with Triangles in terms of the extra pipes from the head to the neck, but it also has a dark grey stripe on the side of the cockpit that triangles does not have.

Name:	mystery pyro on shooting stage collage 2 sized.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	670633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	On stage pyro collage.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	320.6 KB 
ID:	670634
  22. Member Since
    Feb 2012
    Oct 10, 2016, 11:58 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #22

Is that the one behind the Tie on the table?

Name:	swi-142-pg20.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	847.4 KB 
ID:	671402
    Oct 11, 2016, 10:13 AM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #23

kk1 said: View Post
    Is that the one behind the Tie on the table?

Name:	swi-142-pg20.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	847.4 KB 
ID:	671402
    The markings are very close to the Ladd Y. I just can't see the telltale darker spot on the left side of the nose, but the weathering and the near solid gray stripe match up.
  24. Choosy moms choose Jif™ RPF Premium Member moffeaton's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Oct 11, 2016, 12:58 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #24

Yep, Ladd one.

Name:	Ys.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	698.6 KB 
ID:	671496
  25. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Oct 11, 2016, 8:48 PM - Re: Y-Wing Identification Thread #25

Name:	with table head.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	671688

It table cockpit does look a lot like the Ladd cockpit, minus the yellow panel on the corner of the nose alright.