NECA Alien Egg & Facehugger

MattgomeryBurns

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Has anyone pulled the trigger on these? Curious what you think. The egg doesn't have nearly the level of detail as the Sideshow egg, but Amazon has the combo for under $500 right now.

I came across this review on Youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, HORRIBLE review. These two idiots act like 9 year olds. Regardless, I saw what I needed to see.
The seam lines wear the "flaps" were glued on is a deal breaker for me. The bottom of the egg looks great but the horizontal seam just kills the look.
As much as I want this, for 500.00 they could have camouflaged that seam better.
Regretfully, I'll have to pass.

First off, HORRIBLE review. These two idiots act like 9 year olds. Regardless, I saw what I needed to see.
The seam lines wear the "flaps" were glued on is a deal breaker for me. The bottom of the egg looks great but the horizontal seam just kills the look.
As much as I want this, for 500.00 they could have camouflaged that seam better.

Ha, yeah. And at 20 mins, sheesh. There's one other review on youtube, but the guy is whispering, which is totally creepy.

Has anyone pulled the trigger on these? Curious what you think. The egg doesn't have nearly the level of detail as the Sideshow egg, but Amazon has the combo for under $500 right now.[/url]

I realize this post is two years old, but I recently bought the NECA Alien egg. Instead of the provided facehugger, I used one made by a friend from an unused production mold because I think it looks a lot better. I love it, and it’s a perfect accent for the home theater foyer.

IMG_9101.jpgIMG_9097 (1).jpgIMG_9107.jpgIMG_8997.jpgIMG_8995 (1).jpg

You're right about the flaps. In fact, one of the seams was damaged on mine when I received it. I emailed Entertainment Earth but got no response. Will e-mail them again.IMG_9039 (1).jpgIMG_9038 (1).jpg

Congratulations! I’ve wanted one of these ALIEN eggs ever since I saw one at a nearby F.Y.E. Store about a year ago. They’re actually really cool looking in person.

I love it, and it’s a perfect accent for the home theater foyer.

I’m really digging the Lighted Poster-Frames! It looks like in that last picture your egg is sitting on some cool kinda “Movie-Themed” carpeting. Any chance we can see some more pictures of the rest of your Home-Theater & Lobby setup? Or do you possibly already have photos posted somewhere else for viewing?

Congratulations! I’ve wanted one of these ALIEN eggs ever since I saw one at a nearby F.Y.E. Store about a year ago. They’re actually really cool looking in person.

I’m really digging the Lighted Poster-Frames! It looks like in that last picture your egg is sitting on some cool kinda “Movie-Themed” carpeting. Any chance we can see some more pictures of the rest of your Home-Theater & Lobby setup? Or do you possibly already have photos posted somewhere else for viewing?

Glad you like the poster light boxes! They are from discount_home_theater_lightboxes on eBay. The carpet is from kidcarpet.com. Here's how things look:

IMG_0264.jpgIMG_0271.jpgIMG_0270.jpgIMG_8525.jpgIMG_8130.jpgIMG_7349.jpgIMG_7341.jpgIMG_5791.jpgIMG_0269.jpgIMG_0268.jpgIMG_0265.jpgIMG_0272.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8135.jpg
    IMG_8135.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Outstanding! I love the color-scheme of your Room! (The blue walls look really cool, especially!) I almost went with that color of blue for my own Home-Theater initially, but eventually went with red instead. It was a toss-up.

Here’s a link to some pictures of my Home-Theater as of about a year and a half ago. (Some things in it have changed since then, but essentially the overall look is still the same.)

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=399014

Again, very cool set-up, man! Thanks for sharing the pictures. :thumbsup

Wow, sweet setup and impressive collection! I could live in there, lol. I ended up putting my popcorn machine and soda machine in the game room because I thought it would crowd the theater. I had to get a short-throw projector to make sure I could project 110" to fill the screen. the room is about 16' x 15' plus a 35 sq ft closet where I keep the electronics.

Do I spy a VX canister from The Rock?

You sure do! I also just sold one of the two hero oversized VX balls in existence. You know where Nic Cage lunges to stop the VX gas ball from going over the edge of the lighthouse and breaking? The prop manifest said there were two balls made for that. The two were actually each LARGER THAN A BASEBALL, because they couldn't get the detail they wanted with the closeup shots when the ping-pong-sized balls were rolling. So, they employed forced perspective and used a giant ball--which is why after you see the tight shots of the ball rolling, it cuts and shows him grabbing a ball which is the proper size.

IMG_0315.JPGVX ball.jpg

@Tom is your projector a Panny AE2000/AE3000?

Yep, it's the AE2000 (1080p native). Got it about 10 years ago, I think. Am thinking about upgrading to 4k this year. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom

Yep, it's the AE2000 (1080p native). Got it about 10 years ago, I think. Am thinking about upgrading to 4k this year. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom

Start with the source. If you get an OPPO UHP 203, you can add 4K now and enjoy the benefits pre-upgrading. I am still running HDMI 1.3, 1080P myself, but I am loving the extended blacks and brighter whites and way it preserves the highlights. To make this work, I have had to create a custom S Curve gamma. But I am able to load Dolby Vision, HDR-10 and normal BDs all on the same projector settings now. And each conforms to the standards and push the tech I have, to the limits.

Moving onto projectors, you need to know going in that there are true 4K (4096 x 2160) and e-Shift (faux) 4K projectors.

Unless you are prepared to spend 5 figures, you go with faux 4K projectors and get a JVC if you can wing it. They are leading the field so far as black levels and colour accuracy. And if you have access to the custom gamma curve software, you can make these look SWEET! Since I first saw a digital projector in the mid 1990s, the goal has always been to have the image look like film and the JVC (fully calibrated) I saw recently when we watched the 4K edition of BLADE RUNNER was the closest digital imaging has come to film. And I am pretty fussy. Irony here is that most people have forgotten what film actually looked like because D-Cinema has been a thing for close to 20 years.

Epson seem to bn making a decent unit these days and for the under 3K market, might be a good replacement for the Panna.

Have you considered CinemaScope? With over 80% of my disc collection being 2.35~2.40, I have enjoyed CinemaScope since 2005. My route was the expensive one and used a 7K anamorphic lens. These days, most of the 4K projectors offer an automated zoom to create Scope.

Last upgrade is the AV processor. You will want to add DOLBY ATMOS and DTS-X. Many AVRs offer a plug and play solution in a 9CH system. Ideally you want 11+ channels to do ATMOS properly and now there are 13 and even 16 channel system on the market.

cavx Thanks so much for your knowledgeable and detailed response! I was indeed thinking of going with a faux 4k JVC or Epson, but had not thought much about the 4k source. I am not the audiophile/videophile you are, so I will probably go for a more conventional (read, less expensive) overall route when upgrading my components. I currently have a 7.1 setup with four speakers built into the ceiling, so I doubt I will be upgrading to 9 or 11 channels at this point. For me, things already look and sound pretty darn good, so the money I save would go to other car/toy/prop interests. Since you're a "Scope" fan, I'll bet your system looks and sounds amazing. Many of the high-quality Scope lenses cost more than the projectors they're used with, as yours probably does--but I'll bet the results are absolutely epic. I was looking at some Panamorph Paladin DCR shots--wow; If I had an extra $20k laying around, a complete reimagining of my setup would be a fun project. Again, thanks so much for your info, and I hope I can ask you for some advice if/when the time comes to blow everything up and start over.

You sure do! I also just sold one of the two hero oversized VX balls in existence. You know where Nic Cage lunges to stop the VX gas ball from going over the edge of the lighthouse and breaking? The prop manifest said there were two balls made for that. The two were actually each LARGER THAN A BASEBALL, because they couldn't get the detail they wanted with the closeup shots when the ping-pong-sized balls were rolling. So, they employed forced perspective and used a giant ball--which is why after you see the tight shots of the ball rolling, it cuts and shows him grabbing a ball which is the proper size.

View attachment 811138View attachment 811139

Oh man so awesome. Would've loved to snag that from you. I've got one of the regular sized replicas. Just started getting into screen used stuff. Speaking of, I have Nic Cage's police helmet from Wicker Man :lol

@cavx Thanks so much for your knowledgeable and detailed response! I was indeed thinking of going with a faux 4k JVC or Epson, but had not thought much about the 4k source. I am not the audiophile/videophile you are, so I will probably go for a more conventional (read, less expensive) overall route when upgrading my components. I currently have a 7.1 setup with four speakers built into the ceiling, so I doubt I will be upgrading to 9 or 11 channels at this point. For me, things already look and sound pretty darn good, so the money I save would go to other car/toy/prop interests. Since you're a "Scope" fan, I'll bet your system looks and sounds amazing. Many of the high-quality Scope lenses cost more than the projectors they're used with, as yours probably does--but I'll bet the results are absolutely epic. I was looking at some Panamorph Paladin DCR shots--wow; If I had an extra $20k laying around, a complete reimagining of my setup would be a fun project. Again, thanks so much for your info, and I hope I can ask you for some advice if/when the time comes to blow everything up and start over.

By all means. I'd just like to say that my only UHD regret is holding off for as long as I have. There is so much more to this new format.

Oh man so awesome. Would've loved to snag that from you. I've got one of the regular sized replicas. Just started getting into screen used stuff. Speaking of, I have Nic Cage's police helmet from Wicker Man :lol
MattgomeryBurns I consigned it at ScreenUsed. It's been on their site for a year or two and sold in January. Maybe I'll start offering stuff here too so my fellow RPFers have first shot. Congrats on Nic's Wicker Man helmet! Speaking of Nic Cage, I have a Con Air crew jacket which is mega cool. Best crew jacket I've ever seen, and it happens to fit me. On the inside written with a black marker, it says, "Thanks for making me look good" and signed, "Nick". My buddy gave me the jacket for free (he has a ****ton of stuff) and said it belonged to a stuntman. While it's definitely a real crew jacket, I wonder if Nic really wrote that since there's no "k" in his name, and the "N" doesn't really look like other signatures I've seen online. If it's NOT written by him, it's a pretty random thing to do in a jacket that was never sold to anyone.

@MattgomeryBurns I consigned it at ScreenUsed. It's been on their site for a year or two and sold in January. Maybe I'll start offering stuff here too so my fellow RPFers have first shot. Congrats on Nic's Wicker Man helmet! Speaking of Nic Cage, I have a Con Air crew jacket which is mega cool. Best crew jacket I've ever seen, and it happens to fit me. On the inside written with a black marker, it says, "Thanks for making me look good" and signed, "Nick". My buddy gave me the jacket for free (he has a ****ton of stuff) and said it belonged to a stuntman. While it's definitely a real crew jacket, I wonder if Nic really wrote that since there's no "k" in his name, and the "N" doesn't really look like other signatures I've seen online. If it's NOT written by him, it's a pretty random thing to do in a jacket that was never sold to anyone.

Interesting! If you want to compare signatures, my helmet came signed.

22814183_10155026918581717_7460240285625688880_n.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back