New Jumanji Movie Discussion

I mean.. This one was pretty enjoyable but I'm not absolutely certain that they'd be able to capture the magic again.
The original was enjoyable for a number of reasons.. This one was enjoyable (and I'd venture to say that I enjoyed it more) for different reasons.. Another film, done so soon after would run a serious risk of basically being a rehash of one or both of the others.

Then again, what do I know? they might pull a rabbit out of their butts and have a winner.

While I'd love to see another Jumanji movie I'm just not sure how they could do it. As much as I liked Welcome to the Jungle I just don't see how you could make a sequel using the "in game" cast without it being a total rehash. It would lose all credibility if the same kids somehow managed to get sucked back into the game and new kids getting sucked in would be the same movie all over again with only slight differences.

What would be cool is a prequel. Going back further than 1869, to the origin of the game. Where and why it was created.

It could have been created by some sort of witch doctor or something to trap the real Van Pelt within. The game would then torture him with an eternity of living with the deadliest creatures from every part of the jungle. AND maybe he figures out the way to escape is to actually kill one of the players, which is why he was so obsessed with Alan in the first film.

It wouldn't be a terrible idea to be honest.

What would be cool is a prequel. Going back further than 1869, to the origin of the game. Where and why it was created.

It could have been created by some sort of witch doctor or something to trap the real Van Pelt within. The game would then torture him with an eternity of living with the deadliest creatures from every part of the jungle. AND maybe he figures out the way to escape is to actually kill one of the players, which is why he was so obsessed with Alan in the first film.

It wouldn't be a terrible idea to be honest.

That could work, although, tonally, it sounds like it would be pretty different from the first 2.

You can color me stupid on this one... but for some reason I thought the game was manufactured "in theater" and the property of a British soldier.
It was then cursed by an African witch doctor since magic was the only way to fight colonialism.

Yet, I like the Van Pelt idea.

You can color me stupid on this one... but for some reason I thought the game was manufactured "in theater" and the property of a British soldier.
It was then cursed by an African witch doctor since magic was the only way to fight colonialism.

Yet, I like the Van Pelt idea.

We could merge the two ideas. Once Van Pelt's colleagues realize he's trapped, they take possession of the game and attempt to free him, but succumb to the horrors that are released when the game is played. I think we need to pitch and sell this to Sony quick. :D

'Jumanji' continues its box office streak by tying a 'Titanic' record![/h]So I guess it is doing well enough to expect an origin story.

Finally watched this. I was very hesitant to watch it, but hearing it was a loosely based sequel made it seem much better than a reboot. This was the main thing that plagued the newer Ghostbusters movie.
I did end up really enjoying it. I do love Kevin Hart and Dwayne Johnson.
I think 2 of the biggest mess ups between the two movies are where at the end of the first one, the game ends up on the beach in another country but somehow ends up back to the same city the first took place. And also, how in the first movie, when they win the game, it of course cuts to young Alan and Sarah, who then years later, sees the kids, who do not know who they are.
So this new movie, when the kids finish the game that Alex had started, they still remember everything that happened, which they really shouldn't have. Of course, it did make the ending better that they did, just doesn't fit how it happened in the first.

Since the game evolves to attract new victims, I assumed that the end of each game is different and so too are the effects on the players thanks to that evolution.

It makes for interesting theories about the nature of Jumanji and continued story telling.

So I just read through the 8 pages here and its kinda fun reading about what everyone had to say over time.
One other thing I was trying to figure out, is after the game changes and its opened up, there is a game cartage inside. So where does the actual system come from? Its kinda just....there.

So where does the actual system come from? Its kinda just....there.

I'll have to watch through it again, but it was my understanding that Alex had the console itself, and so Jumanji was like "Hey, he's right. No one DOES play board games anymore." and then it transforms itself into a game that can fit his console.

BUT

What also doesn't make sense is that he has a NES in his room, so why wouldn't it choose that over the other?

I'll have to watch through it again, but it was my understanding that Alex had the console itself, and so Jumanji was like "Hey, he's right. No one DOES play board games anymore." and then it transforms itself into a game that can fit his console.

BUT

What also doesn't make sense is that he has a NES in his room, so why wouldn't it choose that over the other?

Also, the system itself was very based on the board game and not a real system of course, plus it has that round green dome on it. They really should have showed that also being inside the jumanji box.

Watched it on DVD last night. I enjoyed it, and thought it wasn't a bad "update" for the video game age. And Karen Gillan's character trying to flirt was great.

Was scrolling through Instagram posts with the Jumanji hashtag, and there have been a lot of images from Japan, I believe, where people have been getting a screening of WttJ in an envelope that looks like the game from the recent film. I took it upon myself to compare the original with the new one and created a video for you all.

https://youtu.be/KNugGSmIdzY

Have a look and let me know what you think. :cool

I really did not like that fact that they made it look as though Alan Parrish lived in some tropical resort tree house equipped with blender and electricity for margaritas. It really downplays how PTSD he was coming out of the game and how sinister Jumanji really is. AND the board was terribly done. Why couldn't they have taken a mold from the hero board? Hmmm...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back