Red Jammer Parts Maps

It's great to see some new blood and enthusiasm in regards to the part ID's, keep it up. You're experiencing a hiccup in discovering the yoke because certain kits, including the kit for this piece, were remastered.

Dan

It's great to see some new blood and enthusiasm in regards to the part ID's, keep it up. You're experiencing a hiccup in discovering the yoke because certain kits, including the kit for this piece, were remastered.

Dan

Dan,

Do you know what the original kit was in 1/72 scale? If so, please say so. In the absence of your knowledge, I would guess:
1975 MPC 1/72 Profile Series B-17G which changed parts in 1976's boxing according to ScaleMates

20160901_124129.jpg20160901_124201.jpg

Now this is a kit from 1986, however I don't doubt it's a re-release and the afterburner cans are for the J model of the F-4 so there is most likely more kits from Airfix that have the same tooling. The F-4 went through many variants and different engine types depending on the country that was using them. This kit comes with two versions as you can see in the picture. I'm hopeful I'm correct.

Cheers

That looks great Hammer! It looks correct to me! And boy does it sound confusing knowing if there are more kits that will hold that same piece haha. The angled grooves seem correct to me. They look like they barely angle inward like a cone from one end to another, which seems correct. And the grooves in them seem like the correct shape to me! I'm curious now which other boxes will produce the same piece.

I have this kit but it is for the B/C/E variants so it doesn't have the same part.

McDonnell F-4B Phantom II
1/72 scale.
Available from 1965 to 1971.
Omitted from Third Edition (1965) catalogue and Price List.
Retooling and new parts added in 1971 for McDonnell F-4B/C/E/J Phantom (493).
1965AMPHANTOMAfx_72_388_f-4b_phanto.jpg

493/04013-8/9 04013/04013
McDonnell F-4B/C/E/J Phantom
1/72 scale.
Reissue of McDonnell F-4B Phantom II (388) with extra sprues to produce other marks.
Available as 493 from 1971 to 1972, not listed in 8th Edition (1971) catalogue.
Issued as 04013-8 from 1973 to 1982.
Not listed on 1979 2nd supplement or in 1981 catalogue.
Issued as 9 04013 from 1983 to 1985.
Issued as 04013 from 1986 to 2001.
Listed as All In One Gift Set (94013) from 1995 to 1996 but not issued.
Included in 90 Years of Fighters (08655) in 2004.
06-10.jpg

I would assume the latter is the proper kit given its history.

That looks great Hammer! It looks correct to me! And boy does it sound confusing knowing if there are more kits that will hold that same piece haha. The angled grooves seem correct to me. They look like they barely angle inward like a cone from one end to another, which seems correct. And the grooves in them seem like the correct shape to me! I'm curious now which other boxes will produce the same piece.

I think anything Airfix 1/76 Pantom as long you can build the E or J versions.

This has nothing to do with Jets but I'm pretty sure the LS 1/16 Morgan Roadster carries the same parts as the Plus 8 too. So a kit might not be "the one" but can still produce the parts needed.

I agree that the Roadster also provides the correct pieces from what I can tell. That thought entered my head because of a post by beaz showing the kits that Jason returned to him, which included the Sealab and the Roadster version of the Morgan. That image is now replaced by thiswhich was unexpected and gave me a good laugh when looking for the image I was thinking of haha.

Last edited:
First post has a few images updated. Added original pieces to the maps for the underside images and the rear engine panel. Keep up the good work everyone I'll make a new map or two this weekend I think to add to the first post. The cockpit firewall is one to still add, and the wings and side engines still need added. I'll try working on those now.

Here's another Handley Page part on the right rear slope of the fuselage. I just stumbled on it while looking through a Handley kit.

I highlighted it in purple in the upper left corner of the pic. I tried to mimic the style you were using, but in case you need a pic of the piece, I attached that too.

Attachments

• fuselage top-rev.jpg
    fuselage top-rev.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 519
  • IMG_2269.JPG
    IMG_2269.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 394
Thank you Dave and Scott. Both great IDs! I have revised that top image now! I have a few more pieces to add to the surrounding of it, but don't have the time now. I revised the piece I had labelled a Scharnhorst piece because it's actually from the HMS Nelson. Sorry for making that mistake on the first map.

Scott thanks for the part image! I tried to copy the way you did it, I only didn't use yours exactly so that I can have all the colors and kit pieces as their own layer in my image editing file. I copied the color though and used the image to make it look close to yours though :)

I don't actually know the answer to that question. See the attached photos for comparison the Ray Chang resin-molded Y with his rim compared to mine, which looks to be about 1mm smaller in diameter, but which "fits" the actual Tamiya Panzerspahwagen 8rad piece better as the mount for the upper turret guns. So this is Part #30 on the AMT 1/25 Fruehauf Shell Tanker truck, which is in re-issue at the moment and all over the hobby shops. As you can see from the second pic, its an inner wheel rim piece, with a wider middle section than the two outer sections -- I've cut off the lower outer section, and it matches in height the Ray Chang resin molded identical piece. It also, to my eye, both fits the original 8rad piece better as the gun mount, and also looks better on top of the canopy because it takes up slightly less real estate. For the other question, no, I don't think it is the same rim used for the rear of the Y-Wing, and using DaveG's measurements/body fuselage you can see that in order to get the narrower outer section of that rim inserted into the rear hole, I have to split the body open by a few mm. So I'm pretty sure that was a different rim from a different vehicle, and I don't have that information yet -- if any of you do, please share. The very last picture is the Fruehauf rim directly on top of the resin-molded rim by Ray Chang and you see that the Fruehauf is about 1mm less in total diameter all the way around. The outer diameter of the Fruehauf tanker upper/outer rim is 2cm.

View attachment 660154
View attachment 660153
View attachment 660148View attachment 660147View attachment 660149View attachment 660150View attachment 660151View attachment 660152

Also, someone more computer savvy than me, please tell me what I'm doing wrong in posting pictures -- on my "Edit" screen all eight images are up and live, but once I hit save/post they all become "links" and they all become "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" -- please help my computer illiteracy to fix this. Thanks!

Ray Chang? Do you mean Ray Perez? I know he makes a 1/24 Y-wing...

One thing that might not have been mentioned. The rectangular grills above the circular ones on the Nichimo Jagdtiger/Tiger II (King Tiger) are cut out and raised. However, they look trimmed themselves, like they're actually from a larger scale kit. Could they be from the Bandai 1/24?

The part on the rear body part(Jagdtiger) top right corner is from the Nichimo IX B u-boat I believe.Same part used on the X-WING engine.

Dave

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back