Best "Indy" hat on a budget?

Hi,
looking to put together an Indiana Jones costume for Halloween/Comic Con but don't want to spend mad dollars doing so. I'm interested in an Indy hat that looks the part but doesn't necessarily have to be 100% accurate. Looking to spend around $100 to 150 if need be.

Any suggestions/recommendations? No huge preference what particular vers, just a damn good looking (affordable) one. :)

I'm *also* interested in where to get a decent jacket.

Please and thank you,
Michael

For the hat I would go for the Akubra Federation IV Deluxe. I have one and I absolutely adore it. It arrive open crown so you have to put in the bash yourself, but there are videos around to that. The website where I ordered mine currently has them for about $145 USD. As for the jacket, if you want a jacket made by the company that made them for Raiders and Last Crusade, Wested has a selection of jacket that come in various different hides, and they can custom make orders, but those can get expensive (I can't vounch for one personally, but I'm puting in an order to them soon, and many other people have jackets made by them). If you are looking for a cheaper option, I believe Todd's Costumes makes them, but right now they only have jackets with a small defect (the website says the left pocket is about a half-inch lower than the right pocket), but they're only $129 USD at the moment.

Hope this helps!

i have a Stetson fedora called the "Temple" and it is pretty darn close and they go for around $150-180 and you need to remove the feather

I have the lambskin Wested and quite enjoy it. The leather is like butter!

Ordered mine about 10 years ago.

The Christies Fedora is good on a budget but I'd go with the fed IV as previously sudgested. Wested jackets are excellent and some of the cheapest you'll find for a true Indy Jacket. Look in their sale section as they often have jackets going cheaper if they have one in your size.

I have a Christy's Adventurer and I must say I absolutely love it - they relatively inexpensive and a really decent quality for an open crown fedora. This way you can give it whichever iteration of the Indy bash you want to.

Personally mine's a Raider's bash.

I also have the Wested Raiders Hero which I love, but having read their recent blog post I sort of wish I'd gone for the Standard, as it seems to capture the feel of the original jacket a bit better.

That said, Wested are pretty inexpensive considering the quality and service you receive - here's a picture of my Wested & my Christy's. Best of luck!

IMG_20130725_152011.jpgIMG_20160821_131324.JPG

RG

Okay, so the Wested hat looks a lil' "cheap" looking to me. Thinking of ordering everything else from them in the package deal but getting the hat from one of the other aforementioned sites. Or are there cheaper sites to get the basic costume pieces from (the shirt, belt, pants, gas mask bag, whip, etc). I pretty much need it all. No gloves.

Also, how is the distressing work on the Wested jackets or should I just order a "clean" one and distress it myself? I'll also need the shoes.

Thanks again,
Mike

Last edited:
Hi,
"Necro-bumping" this thread as I'd STILL like to put together an authentic but affordable Indiana Jones cosplay for comic con in January. Most concerned with a fedora, jacket and whip and gunbelt. Looking for a TOD look.

Thanks for any additional feedback/suggestions.

Thanks,
Michael

On the note of Indy hats, does anyone know if Todds Costumes is going to start production the Downtowner again? It's listed in stock but the only size is 54. I'm new to the Indy hat search so I'm unaware of what (if anything) happened there.

Hi
I would go with an Advintage "Harrison" fedora. its a great choice if your on a budget. I picked one up in the Raiders bash and its spot on for colour and shape for the opening temple scene. Of course there nothing stopping you from adding your own tweaks. I believe they are now offering them in two different colours.

I remain happy with my akubra federation IV deluxe as a budget hat, and wear it often, even though I also have a Penman Raiders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well with the help of this thread, I decided to go with the “Penman Everyman” in the Raiders style.

Very excited to upgrade from my Todd’s to the Penman. Thanks to everyone who gave their input.

Last edited:
Well with of this thread, I decided to go with the “Penman Everyman” in the Raiders style.

Very excited to upgrade from my Todd’s to the Penman. Thanks to everyone who gave their input.

Great choice. I’ve not handled his Everyman line, but my custom from him is fantastic. He has a great eye for detail.

Thanks. Even though this is more of the factory-made line, I’ve always wanted to own one of his hats. I’m really excited for it.

Got an email from John at Penman Hats showing my incoming hat

69859953-AA65-4AF4-B5FB-D8DDBA644111.jpeg

John is a stand up gent. He called me to double check my measurements and make sure all was correct before sending out the hat. I’m always super appreciative of customer support like that.

Even though I don’t have my hat in hand yet, I’d recommend Penman Hats just on my interaction and convo w/ John himself. As I said before, I can’t wait to get this fedora in my head:)

Got an email from John at Penman Hats showing my incoming hat

View attachment 838486

John is a stand up gent. He called me to double check my measurements and make sure all was correct before sending out the hat. I’m always super appreciative of customer support like that.

Even though I don’t have my hat in hand yet, I’d recommend Penman Hats just on my interaction and convo w/ John himself. As I said before, I can’t wait to get this fedora in my head:)

Definitely. When I ordered mine, I requested a Raiders crease, but without the “turn”. He called me up and basically convinced me to do the turn, and I’m so happy that he did. My concern was that the hat would feel like it was sitting crooked on my head, but that was not at all the case. I definitely appreciate him taking the time to talk me into it!

Beautiful hat btw!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back