Question about soldering the Velleman kit

Dragster

Hey everyone! For those that have soldered the Velleman kit, what wattage soldering iron did you use? I tried to put one together last night, but it didn't work. I was pretty much expecting that, though, since it was my first attempt at soldering anything. I noticed that the manual says 40 W max, and my soldering iron is 60 W, so I'm guessing I might have burned something up. When I connected everything, I got a click out of the speaker, but that was it--no lights, no other sound, nothing. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

I used a 60w soldering iron for the two I've put together so far. I didn't have any issues myself, though I had soldered stuff before.

My soldering iron temperature is adjustable, and while I would usually use it on the higher end of the temperature range i was able to reduce it for some of the more fragile components.

It may have been your technique was a bit off. If you held the iron on one or more of the components for too long it may have got too hot and done some damage. Usually I'd have the iron in contact for no more than about 5 seconds total to heat the area and apply the solder.

It's also good to let the component cool for a minute or so before you solder the other side, if you want to be safe.

Admittedly I'm no expert, but this works for me.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back