Tetravaal CHAPPiE Animatronic Bust

EdsJunk

I am going to give this a shot as I loved the movie CHAPPiE. Some of you may have seen my post/build earlier this year making an animatronic Weebo from Flubber. Well I am now going to try to step up my game and create an animatronic bust of Chappie. This will be the standard 1:1 head, shoulders, chest bust. I am going to attempt head movements, eyebrow/lip movement, ears, camera, and Audio with lighting. This will be a work in progress and plan on updating it all here.

There has been a few guys making chappie heads on here and they look great. So instead of reinventing the wheel, I have been been printing the head. I will modify it with servos and cables before paint. But I will be making the shoulders/neck/chest/back from scratch as I have not seen that done. I have been gathering screen shots and reference material from here and the rest of the internet.

Let me know if you guys have any other information or ideas. I love to collaborate.

Also, does anyone know what "model name" Chappie is? I know he is made by Tetravaal and that the bigger machine was called Moose, but I don't believe the Chappie police model was ever named.

2016-08-20 00.16.19.jpg
2016-08-20 00.16.33.jpg
2016-08-20 00.16.42.jpg
2016-08-20 00.16.55.jpg

Awesome!

I strongly recommend you buy the art book, if you don't already have it. Though it doesn't have dimensioned blueprints (but who does?), it does have some concept art and behind-the-scenes stills.

Chappie and the other police bots are "Scout" model robots. Attached is a photo of the forehead labels, which have some more model number info, etc.

-MJ

Attachments

• 17327_6.jpg
    17327_6.jpg
    921.2 KB · Views: 303
Oh that's incredible. That's somthing I couldn't see close enough from stills. Is that from the book?

And yes that's right, a scout. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Sadly, no, that pic is from an auction. They auctioned off at least one whole 3-ring binder full of labels / stickers made for the film, and I think a lot of it has been parted out and re-sold in singles and sets since. There are also some 'prototype' labels floating around as well, but they look slightly different and weren't used in the film, I don't think.

I will say that I replicated many of the labels, so if you need artwork for them, just ask; I may be able to save you some trouble.

How much of the chest & shoulders are you going to build? They auctioned off a lot of spare parts, so we have some decent pics, none with a ruler, sadly, but better than nothing.

Sadly, no, that pic is from an auction. They auctioned off at least one whole 3-ring binder full of labels / stickers made for the film, and I think a lot of it has been parted out and re-sold in singles and sets since. There are also some 'prototype' labels floating around as well, but they look slightly different and weren't used in the film, I don't think.

I will say that I replicated many of the labels, so if you need artwork for them, just ask; I may be able to save you some trouble.

How much of the chest & shoulders are you going to build? They auctioned off a lot of spare parts, so we have some decent pics, none with a ruler, sadly, but better than nothing.
I am going to model alot of the chest and shoulders.... Any photos would be spectacular! I'd love to get my hands on your label artwork as well... I'll PM you.

Seriously guys, anything you have that could help I'd greatly appreciate it.

If you search the board you should be able to find some threads about the Chappie auctions & parts refs. I'm sure I don't have all the pics ever shown, but I did save some of them. Don't forget to search / check promo stills for the film.

Assembled and painted head. Still needs more work and of course animatronics along with torso. And I know there are some small details not right, for example the orange ear is on the wrong side, that was my bad painting the wrong ear orange before assembly.

8799936f174ac0968ec2c92d79840c0f.jpg

9e72e8c93a5f9443c90a7c461fa85524.jpg

aeaa169c5317ba63e5461353faee4bb8.jpg

0f2b5a2c5fd4d02dcd1adfed54c063ab.jpg

Ok guys here is todays update.... I have added Chappie's Eye LEDs, The three LEDs above the camera and sensors and also a servo for the camera. Here is a quick video.

Now Here are some photos of the build from today. For the servo, I had to hollow out the 3D printed main body for the sensors. I did not design these files, so it wasnt easy for me to edit them. So I just went in and did it manually, which I have actually found quite fun. I had to split the camera in half to glue in the servo arm, then had to glue that back together. Then I secured it to the servo through a hole I covered up on the opposite side. I hope that makes sense? The photos speak louder than words..

2016-08-27 09.31.00.jpg
20160827_110826.jpg20160827_165748.jpg20160827_101717.jpg20160827_101423.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And here is the led eyes I came up with. Sorry the is the only photo I had of them, they were a pain. And yes I know I have one LED out.

800fabf164d560373f8410723caf0cf3.jpg

Ok, here is todays update.. I got the Ears/Lip/ and Eyebrow servos installed. I had some cheap 9G microservos laying around, But I am not happy with their performance, plan on ordering some stronger ones soon. But, that being said, you can see the mechanics of how it is going to work.

Here is how I mechanized the ears..
2016-08-28 12.07.19.jpg2016-08-28 15.14.57.jpg2016-08-28 12.07.24.jpg2016-08-28 15.17.54.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also need some help finding what hoses these are on Chappie. There is two on either side that run between the head and the body. Here is a couple photos. Any help is appreciated.

12.jpg44.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back