Captain America Civil War/AoU Build

Tachyon

Hi guys!

Figured it was about time I made a post :) I've been rocking my TFA Cap suit for a while now and it's time to upgrade it. I've been following brutuswayne's build threads for a while now and while I'm not quite at the patterning stage, I've bought some samples and other bits and pieces. I've decided to get a bunch of cordura samples to see how it feels. I've never worked with cordura before so I'm hoping it's at least a little better than the full leather in the suit I've got at the moment. It gets pretty hot in the Queensland summer.

0208062670227304_3848444953946809751_n_zps3rcthekb.jpg

While I've been waiting for the samples to arrive, I managed to fluke a set of Magnum Mach I's in my size on eBay. I'm not going for 100% Civil War accuracy, more a AoU/CW hybrid suit, so these boots will work perfectly under the boot covers. I also picked up a CATTOYS Civil War helmet to see if a cheapy helmet can be modified to be better. At $100AU, I won't get heartbroken if it dosen't work out. It arrived today, hence me thinking to start a thread :)

Does anyone know what the CATTOYS helmets are made of? The video on the sales page said silicone, but it does not look or feel like silicone. It has flex, but not as much as my rubber/urethane TFA helmet. I think it could be some type of vinyl or flexible urethane, but I really have no idea. It didn't sand like urethane when I took a lump off the inside, the rubbings kinda felt like very thick pencil eraser rubbings, if that makes sense. There are quite a few defects that need removing/repair/modifying and the whole helmet will need a repaint at the end.

th_RPF%20Pics-1_zpsr5ylxaiy.jpg
th_RPF%20Pics-4_zpsyf19gtlj.jpg
th_RPF%20Pics-3_zpsfuoqwulf.jpg

As you can see in the pics, there is a list of things I want to do to the helmet;

- Remove the seamline above the 'A'
- Remove the 'A' and make a larger 'A' in thin ABS
- Remove the leather straps and replace with real leather straps, drill out rivets and replace with chicago screws
- Repaint once completed

Does anyone have any suggestions before I start out modifying it?

Well, my fabric samples arrived, I think I'm going to go with a 1000D cordura for the most part. The texture looks pretty good for what I'm happy with.

th_20160906_201503_zpslffqs084.jpg

Still a bit stuck with the helmet. Pretty sure it's not the ABS that the manufacturer told me when I asked. I painted the inside a bit with acetone and nothing really happened. So now I'm thinking it's just a less flexible shore urethane. Still looking for ideas on how to modify this sucker.

I'm going to pick up some more cordura so I can make a start on the gaiters. I'm stuck on the suit till my Girlfriend finishes this year's con circuit as she's busy with her costumes at the moment. So might as well cross everything else off the list :)

Hey man! Glad to see you've got your thread up! The corduras you chose are basically the same ones I did, the only exception being I used 500D cordura for the blue. Mostly just because it's thinner and a bit easier to work with, so for me that was definitely a plus as most of the suit is blue. But, if you don't mind the extra stiffness, than absolutely go with the 1000D cause hey consistent texture! Unfortunately, cordura is not very breathable, but it also doesn't retain heat like leather does! So, you might be a bit more comfortable :p

Haha, yeah. That leather suit is pretty toasty. I did get samples of the 500D as well, thought the texture wasn't as noticeable though, hence my leaning toward 1000D. Now just to work out how much fabric I'll need to buy to make the suit so I can order it and get started :)

So I tried to make a captain America civil war costume but ended up learning sewing the hard way, I've started on my second attempt now and it is coming out much much better. I wasn't able to find a great way of doing the abdomen or abs so I experimented and came up with my own. Here's the raised panels before any shading has been applied to make the panels look more raised then they already are

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 91
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgSo after building every part twice I'm getting much better at sewing and ordering before sewing. I also remade the abs to get the embossing effect more pronounced and resized them a little better. This is where I'm at so far. Eventually I hope to make a suit a the the right material but for now I'm using what I have around and I'm pleased even though the colors are more pronounced

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, that star is duct tape lol, just for reference right now

image.jpgimage.jpg

So so I manage to get this part done.mgoing to have o remake a few parts but I'm very pleased with how it came out considering I've never sewed anything before. I have a metal shield that looks great on the harness. The abs are hard and almost like pads, puff the shouldn with some foam . The rubber chest inserts are flat plastic from take out food containers, layered into the shape and the glued rain coat venal fabric over it. Eventually I going to make a mold and cast them. Easier now that I have the sizing right. But all and all I can't wait to go fight the system now

image.jpg

This is is where I got to for the halloween party I was going to. It's only the tunic so now it's time to remake the harness the gauntlets and gloves, belt, pants, and a few other nic-nacs... I'll have some spare time Thursday so I'm going to actually buy fabric instead of using old coats and shirts and belts that I had packed away. I'm excited to see what it looks like with the right colors. I'm going to put up some info on how I embossed the abs, from what I seen on the site most people just sew in foam. I took a different approach and liked the results much better. I need to get a printed star and a cast the rubber chest pieces too. So back to it now!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back