Please help me identify this 1980's glue/adhesive.

FON

Firstly, I hope this is the correct location for this thread as It pertains to an original stormtrooper helmet. If it is not, mods please feel free to move it to the correct area.

I am trying to figure out what type of glue would of been used in the pictures below. As you can see once set, it is tan/beige in colour. Now, initially I'm thinking this glue is some type of contact cement similar to 'Selleys' kwik grip or Tarzans grip. However looking at the colour of those out of the tubes they appear more yellow in colour, as opposed to the tan/beige seen in the pictures. I know age may play a role in the colour.. but I do not believe it to be entirely the case here. The adhesive being on the inside is shielded from excessive UV (one would think) and appears completely uniform in colour. The adhesive also appears to be somewhat runny out of the tin/tube as opposed to the two glues I mentioned above, which are more like a tacky gel.

The glue would of been around and used by LFL in the 1980s and 90s. I am positive someone here would have a fair idea of what type or brand this would be? You are all a super smart bunch!

The photo showing the glue;

ST-DP347.jpg

Another couple of photos of originals showing the same glue;

stormtrooper-helmet.jpg6363239259_62fcfc7830_b.jpg6363313233_3dc6375c70_b.jpg6363481673_07f144fafa_b.jpg

I would love to know your thoughts guys.

Looks very much like Evo stick or Bostik contact adhesive (certainly the correct colour), or it could be a PVC pipe cement such as Tangit, but that’s a translucent product and I've never seen it discolour like that. These were / still are available in the UK at that time.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back