"Stranger Things"

hewito

Hello..I am new in this community(as a member)but I always read and see the amazing things people make and create.
I am sure a lot of people have seen the Netflix show stranger things and I think it will become more popular with season 2.Anyways,my gf is going as dustin to a Halloween party and I thought it would be cool to find some sort of prop to make it more realistic and I did! ,I bought a pair of "realistic" walkie talkies,the same as mikes,lucas has a different one.I was lucky enough to find them close to home,one worked and the other one didn't,but once I got them I thought "why not take it to one more level",so the one that didnt work I opened it up and put a sound board and a little bit of work here and there..So I used the pot for volume as a switch and the "talk button" when pressed it has 5 diferent sounds from the show.I think is really neat..I will post some pictures and a video later..If anybody has any questions please let me know,I am not tech savvy so its rather easy.

Attachments

• IMG_8835.JPG
    IMG_8835.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 235
  • IMG_8861.JPG
    IMG_8861.JPG
    775.9 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_8860.JPG
    IMG_8860.JPG
    676.6 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_8855.JPG
    IMG_8855.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 211
  • IMG_8854.JPG
    IMG_8854.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_8853.JPG
    IMG_8853.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 202
  • IMG_8849.JPG
    IMG_8849.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 230
Re: " Stranger Things"

I do it buy uploading to YouTube and then copying the link after publishing.

Click "Insert Video" (here) and then paste the link to your video.

That IS SO AWESOME!! Can you teach us how you did it? Maybe Provide the audio clips to make our own?

That IS SO AWESOME!! Can you teach us how you did it? Maybe Provide the audio clips to make our own?
Yes of course..The audio clips I recorded them directly from the show and the converted them on WAV..I have few but you can do any sounds really..For the soundboar I used adafruit and to put it together is rather easy and it come with instructions,to load sounds it works like a usb since it has a memory built in..I used the original walkie speaker since its an 8ohm so it work perfectly..Th adafruit you should get the 3 AAA battery holder and it fits really nice,i used the volume pot from the walkie to work as a on and off switch..For the push button you could use any really(so when its pushed sounds will come out.You will also have to reuse things from the original board so u can gluet them back(for an original look)..I used the original led but they burned right away so you will need to find a higher volt LED so it will work with on and off switch,i recommended since you will be able to know when it on or off..For the brakets you will need to just play with sizes and such..I might build another one..If I do I will take pictures and measure everything..Let me know if I could help you...Thanks!

Really cool, I recently ordered a lot of two of these so I may make my own set. If you do make another , WIP photos would be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes of course..The audio clips I recorded them directly from the show and the converted them on WAV..I have few but you can do any sounds really..For the soundboar I used adafruit and to put it together is rather easy and it come with instructions,to load sounds it works like a usb since it has a memory built in..I used the original walkie speaker since its an 8ohm so it work perfectly..Th adafruit you should get the 3 AAA battery holder and it fits really nice,i used the volume pot from the walkie to work as a on and off switch..For the push button you could use any really(so when its pushed sounds will come out.You will also have to reuse things from the original board so u can gluet them back(for an original look)..I used the original led but they burned right away so you will need to find a higher volt LED so it will work with on and off switch,i recommended since you will be able to know when it on or off..For the brakets you will need to just play with sizes and such..I might build another one..If I do I will take pictures and measure everything..Let me know if I could help you...Thanks!

Thanks man! Right now I'm in search for a Realistic TRC 214 once i get a hold of one ill work on setting it up like you. Ill makes sure to post about here.

" Stranger Things"

Can't wait to get my Adafruit supplies in. Will post my updates on here.

Last edited:

Yes..I just recently purchased a TRC-201..Seems to be a bit older but got it really cheap,it kinda looks more like lucas' walkie(chrome buttons)..I am thinking on working on that one or maybe just as decoration.

Just a small update,
Since adafruit has has discontinued the sfx soundboard with built in stereo amp, I had to settle for their separately sold amp. After fiddling around I finally got it wired up the way I like it. I was able to use the existing battery compartment of the walker talkie to use for my project, this also helped save space within the radio for the extra board. I did not want to have to open it up ever time to change out batteries. My next step will be to build out the empty shell with brackets and what not to hold the components.
8c91748e2309839c4384da34b9b7eebe.jpg
081c1ea721a5669f8eb27ca8c5000fb5.jpg
135bb691aa9106f441671db4e72a70f4.jpg
5a560279174c912011ac6b433f8e20dc.jpg

Just a small update,
Since adafruit has has discontinued the sfx soundboard with built in stereo amp, I had to settle for their separately sold amp. After fiddling around I finally got it wired up the way I like it. I was able to use the existing battery compartment of the walker talkie to use for my project, this also helped save space within the radio for the extra board. I did not want to have to open it up ever time to change out batteries. My next step will be to build out the empty shell with brackets and what not to hold the components. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160827/8c91748e2309839c4384da34b9b7eebe.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160827/081c1ea721a5669f8eb27ca8c5000fb5.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160827/135bb691aa9106f441671db4e72a70f4.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160827/5a560279174c912011ac6b433f8e20dc.jpg
Heck yeah,that is looking great!..I forgot to mentioned the built in board was discontinued,sorry..i bought mine last year...Anyways,now regarding the walkie battery holder,you wont use adafruits anymore?if not,then I will recommend to buy some dumme batteries(but you already know that) to fill the gap,but if you also looking to use the adafruit battery holder,be careful since it might not fit the the walkies one..If you still need the clips let me know and i send them to you,at least for testing,not sure how to send them ,but if you need them just tell me how..

Heck yeah,that is looking great!..I forgot to mentioned the built in board was discontinued,sorry..i bought mine last year...Anyways,now regarding the walkie battery holder,you wont use adafruits anymore?if not,then I will recommend to buy some dumme batteries(but you already know that) to fill the gap,but if you also looking to use the adafruit battery holder,be careful since it might not fit the the walkies one..If you still need the clips let me know and i send them to you,at least for testing,not sure how to send them ,but if you need them just tell me how..
IMG_2414.JPG
Its Crunch time...Last step is to cram it all inside the shell and hopefully everything fits.
I figured I'd upload the sound files and share them with anyone who needs them. these are ripped from Netflix through direct recording through the sound card on my PC. All the files are ogg vorbis.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxDOS0fGtzgWMEZNMVoxZTF3VFk

T00NEXT1: Radio Static (Eleven Searches for Will & Debbie)

T00NEXT2: Will Sings (Eleven Finds Will)

T00NEXT3: Mike calls for Will

T00NEXT4: Will Describes the "Upside Down"

T00NEXT5: Mike Calls Lucas

T00NEXT6: Stranger Things Theme

IMG_2414.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 658664
Its Crunch time...Last step is to cram it all inside the shell and hopefully everything fits.
I figured I'd upload the sound files and share them with anyone who needs them. these are ripped from Netflix through direct recording through the sound card on my PC. All the files are ogg vorbis.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxDOS0fGtzgWMEZNMVoxZTF3VFk

T00NEXT1: Radio Static (Eleven Searches for Will & Debbie)

T00NEXT2: Will Sings (Eleven Finds Will)

T00NEXT3: Mike calls for Will

T00NEXT4: Will Describes the "Upside Down"

T00NEXT5: Mike Calls Lucas

T00NEXT6: Stranger Things Theme

It looks great ..May I make a suggestion?..I think you kept half the walkie board to be able to keep the push button bracket,but I think it takes some space.I just made a small 1/8 thick wood as a bracket and it works pretty well.>i also had a name label tag and I thought it might look neat if I put it on top of the walkie.in the show it doesnt have it but I think it gives it a retro touch..I have red and black tape if anyone is interested,I could send it to you at no charge(you pay postage )

IMG_8909.JPG

IMG_8910.JPG

IMG_8912.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

It looks great ..May I make a suggestion?..I think you kept half the walkie board to be able to keep the push button bracket,but I think it takes some space.I just made a small 1/8 thick wood as a bracket and it works pretty well.>i also had a name label tag and I thought it might look neat if I put it on top of the walkie.in the show it doesnt have it but I think it gives it a retro touch..I have red and black tape if anyone is interested,I could send it to you at no charge(you pay postage )

It is Complete.

https://youtu.be/6S4LEivfWhY

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back